I love paraffin!!!!

:yay:I'm just thrilled with these test results!!! I have been using only soy since I started making candles (about a year now) and I could only make a handful of scents. I decided I just had to try paraffin and OMW:shocked2:!!!! I'm amazed at the throw!! I started out with straight 4733, and then started adding 30% 415, and so far my results have been out of this world!! I'm thinking about ordering some 6006 to see what results I get, but haven't decided yet. I also switched from KY para soy tart wax back to my original paraffin mix, 50/ 50 IGI 1302B and tri 6380, and I didn't realize how much of a difference in throw and staying power there was!! Just thought I would share my excitement!!!! :bliss:

4733.... I haven't come across that one yet and haven't seen it on my many suppliers product lists- where do you get this?

I have been reading the crap out of paraffin to figure out which one I want to "dabble" in- never touched it before and scared but it's time....to try something new!

Yea, I do love the glow from my paraffin pillars. They give off a beautiful light. I have tried the soy pillar blend, but it doesn't burn the same and it is horrid as a votive, it just breaks and cracks if you even bump it.

However, I am having great success with my beeswax blend pillars. So far every single one has been a success.

And both my paraffin and my beeswax blended paraffin dipped tapers have turned out BRILLIANT!! I just have to learn the skill of temperature regulation and dipping better to have a smoother taper, but the wick and burn so far have been clean and drip-less.

:yay:

When it works, it just feels sooooo good!!! :rolleyes2

Amen to that sista!!!:highfive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niByF8xHPQI&feature=share&list=ULniByF8xHPQI

I found this video a while back and well you just need to watch...she explains beautifully the differences of waxes, debunking myths without dissing any waxes...loved her video!!

Thank you so much, puma! And check out this amazing article about how natural and organic paraffin is!

How Paraffin Comes to Be

• how-paraffin-wax-made-2.1-800x800.jpg Paraffin, though classified as a petroleum wax, occurs organically as an alkane hydrocarbon (made up of only hydrogen and carbon). Like most waxes, paraffin is a derivative of beeswax, created, naturally, by bees. Plants are also capable of producing paraffin because of the protective layer that develops over the leaves and stems of a plant to shield itself from different weather conditionsicon1.png. Over time, the coating on these dead plants were buried by the ever-changing land mass of the Earth. Subsequently, this transformed into crude oil, the source where paraffin issues from.

Read more: How Is Paraffin Wax Made? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4965651_how-paraffin-wax-made.html#ixzz2AMYBjygc

Thank you Horsescents... Yep....we eat paraffin and put it on our bodies every day. It is commonly used in our medicines, the medical field, foods...so many things it is used for and just think we also get to play in it to make beautiful , smelly candles!!:grin2:

Edited by puma52

Paraffin, though classified as a petroleum wax, occurs organically as an alkane hydrocarbon (made up of only hydrogen and carbon). Like most waxes, paraffin is a derivative of beeswax, created, naturally, by bees.

That bolded conclusion is quite a stretch. It reads to a novice as if manufacturers melt down beeswax, do a little simple process, and presto Paraffin wax. That is simply not the case.

Derivatives of beeswax in this sense would include Cera Bellina, Cera Alba and ethoxylated beeswax derivatives.

Unfortunately, that quote has permeated a lot of popular sites. I have no qualms about using paraffin, but to lead people to believe it is just like beeswax is a little further than realistic.

That bolded conclusion is quite a stretch. It reads to a novice as if manufacturers melt down beeswax, do a little simple process, and presto Paraffin wax. That is simply not the case.

Derivatives of beeswax in this sense would include Cera Bellina, Cera Alba and ethoxylated beeswax derivatives.

Unfortunately, that quote has permeated a lot of popular sites. I have no qualms about using paraffin, but to lead people to believe it is just like beeswax is a little further than realistic.

Yeah, it's kind of misleading. Even if a minute amount of paraffin can be extracted from beeswax, and I don't know if it can or not, it makes it sound like beeswax is the source of paraffin candle wax.

*4633, my bad!!! But it is formerly known as J-223, it's a little gooey-er than I expected. I'm on my second slab, not 1 dud in the bunch!!!

4733.... I haven't come across that one yet and haven't seen it on my many suppliers product lists- where do you get this?

I have been reading the crap out of paraffin to figure out which one I want to "dabble" in- never touched it before and scared but it's time....to try something new!

I am using 4633 and 415 for my candles, and M38 and 6380 for my melts. It's a nice hard paraffin mix, and I get it at my local supply. I'm only using the 415 because I had some left, and will probably either switch to straight paraffin when I run out, or a mix I can get at Tristate. It's so much easier going and picking it up, rather than having it shipped!

I was thinking of trying the HTP wicks, as another thread talked about not needing to trim (?), so was maybe going to test to see. I've just really liked the HT with the zincs. I hadn't thought about mixing the 4633 with anything- I've been experimenting with melts with other waxes mixtures- now I may have to experiment with my container wax! The fun never ends..... :) what a wonderful addiction- glad I have a good support group here to carry me through!

I first started with J-50 and it was fussy and required second pours and sooted like crazy. Then I took up J-223 and it was a step in a direction but not exaclty what I wanted in a candle. Then I mixed the two in numerous formulas but still no cigar. The idea of pure soy did not appeal to me after seeing numerous candles in the stores that looked terrible and had little or no fragrance. Eventually, Green Leaf or GL Candle Supply introduced a parasoy that did what I wanted and although it occasionally had problems; it has been my wax of choice these many years. There is absolutely nothing natural about any of these waxes. Nothing. They are mass produced with chemical additives for improved characteristics they rely on artificial fragrances and colors and they soot no matter what anybody says about their candle. Combustion results in carbon emissions. We have seen the removal of some ingredients from fragrance oils because they have been deemed dangerous. Its just a candle folks. Its not some prescribed, FDA approved therapeutic product that's all natural....its a candle. So stuff like: triple scented, 100% natural, cleans earwax, clears sinus problems, and or comes from leafy plants that died and gave their lives for us is totally misleading. Totally. Sheesh.

Steve

I first started with J-50 and it was fussy and required second pours and sooted like crazy. Then I took up J-223 and it was a step in a direction but not exaclty what I wanted in a candle. Then I mixed the two in numerous formulas but still no cigar. The idea of pure soy did not appeal to me after seeing numerous candles in the stores that looked terrible and had little or no fragrance. Eventually, Green Leaf or GL Candle Supply introduced a parasoy that did what I wanted and although it occasionally had problems; it has been my wax of choice these many years. There is absolutely nothing natural about any of these waxes. Nothing. They are mass produced with chemical additives for improved characteristics they rely on artificial fragrances and colors and they soot no matter what anybody says about their candle. Combustion results in carbon emissions. We have seen the removal of some ingredients from fragrance oils because they have been deemed dangerous. Its just a candle folks. Its not some prescribed, FDA approved therapeutic product that's all natural....its a candle. So stuff like: triple scented, 100% natural, cleans earwax, clears sinus problems, and or comes from leafy plants that died and gave their lives for us is totally misleading. Totally. Sheesh.

Steve

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: