melt and pour salt soap

Pepperi

Has anyone tried to make this type of soap before? I was thinking of adding maybe a tablespoon of epsom salt to 1lb of soap base but not sure if that is too much or too little? Also not sure on what type of oils to use maybe something like AKO or RBO?

That sounds like an interesting recipe. I thought only soaking in the Epsom salts gave you relief - I didn't know that simply washing with them had some benefit...that's good to know!

Good luck with the recipe. I would try it, but am running out of soap base!:embarasse

Has anyone tried to make this type of soap before? I was thinking of adding maybe a tablespoon of epsom salt to 1lb of soap base but not sure if that is too much or too little? Also not sure on what type of oils to use maybe something like AKO or RBO?

when I first started making MP soaps, I found a recipe for a soap where you first poured the MP soap over epsom salts on a crinkled piece of aluminum foil and let it set up. Then you peeled it off in chunks and put it in individual cavity molds and overpoured with clear M&P.

I tried it. It worked fine until you got down to the epsom salts part, then the bar started to disintegrate.

I'm under the impression that epsom salt or dead sea salt should not be used for salt bars.

I think I've read somewhere that its okay for cp but not with the addition of epsom salt. Table salt is what they use. Mp density is different so I think I'm going to try some tonight and see what happens! I love testing new recipes you never know what you'll get hooked on!

• 2 weeks later...

I have made them before where you put bath salts in your mold and pour over melted soap. That was using a fair amount of salt. It looks great at first BUT after a couple of weeks, the bar begins to get wet and mushy. The salt starts to disolve and then you have a nasty mess.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Funny this came up...

Last week I took some of my sugar/salt scrub base and put it in an individual bar mold, then poured clear mp base over it... just to see.

Well, I did get some oil seepage from the scrub base, but I didn't get a solid facing of soap base on the underneath of the scrub, so there were tiny holes in the top when unmolded. This is where the oil escaped. So I don't know if pouring a bit first, then adding the scrub, then pouring again would have stopped that or not. For me, I didn't/wouldn't mind what it did far as seepage in the shower. But I don't know if it would have or not with a more solid pour... haven't gotten that far. And I won't. I used the bar anyways and while it looks funky- all pot-hole-y and scooped out looking.... it did not scrub me which was the point! Lol. I need scrub! Very disappointing.

I may try again with a much less oily base and maybe a coffee and salt type combo. I don't have high hopes for it though. :undecided

• 2 months later...

Hey, kinipela. Did you find that post? Have any of you tried any more m&p salt bars? I'm wondering if there is a difference between using clear or opaque) for this? I'm going to have to experiment a little with that.

I'll pm it to you, I don't have permission to cross post it.

I did one with kpangnan butter, goat's milk and dss. It turned out ok, but the salt that was sprinkled on top turned the areas around it white. It looked pock marked and I didn't care for how it looked. It was nice in the shower, and my friend loved it, but I won't sell it! I made it like two months ago and still have some in the shower and it hasn't fallen apart yet or melted.

Hi,

Do you think you could pm me that recipe as well please? I posted a couple of days ago under the low sweat m&p salt bar topic as I have had some success with the low sweat base. 6 weeks later my soap is still not mushy.

I would love to try this recipe that you have.:)

Thanks

Jo

Curlycoat2

Australia

• 1 year later...