i want to make these melts

I love the rustic look of these melts...how do you think these were made?  It's probably some sort of paraffin wouldn't you say?

But there is a wick in there...hmmmm...what do they do?   Light the wick just like it is?

And I have those tureens also.

Trappeur

arrangechunks-600x450.jpg.777a452157f3087862a92b2f08675f1c.jpg

• Like 2

Gosh Trapp, maybe that's a mottling wax? Or it might be palm, although the type I'm familiar with is more crystal and not quite as distressed.

I can't imagine that wick is for anything other than decoration. How would that burn? Where did you see this? Were there any directions for use included?

It sure does look cool, and i agree that the rustic look is right up your alley!

Edited by Sarah S

I just found it on the internet Sarah, just a picture....It almost looks like paraffin and the wax frosted....doesn't it....Geesh, I don't know.  I just know I liked it...It almost looks opaque...

Trappeur

44 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

I just found it on the internet Sarah, just a picture....It almost looks like paraffin and the wax frosted....doesn't it....Geesh, I don't know.  I just know I liked it...It almost looks opaque...

Trappeur

I wonder if they could have added something like dazzle dust from RE.  They claim it can give a frosted look in candles.

On 7/13/2018 at 11:41 AM, Trappeur said:

I love the rustic look of these melts...how do you think these were made?  It's probably some sort of paraffin wouldn't you say?

But there is a wick in there...hmmmm...what do they do?   Light the wick just like it is?

And I have those tureens also.

Trappeur

arrangechunks-600x450.jpg.777a452157f3087862a92b2f08675f1c.jpg

Trapp ,This is Awesome !

I was wandering what type wick would you select & what wax to make these ? Lol am I asking to much here lmao.

I can do the chunk tarts ,no problem. it's the wicking that I will run into trouble lol. Not much experience in candle making . I would live to make a few for Christmas gifts .

Thank you kindly.

Kat

6 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

Trapp ,This is Awesome !

I was wandering what type wick would you select & what wax to make these ? Lol am I asking to much here lmao.

I can do the chunk tarts ,no problem. it's the wicking that I will run into trouble lol. Not much experience in candle making . I would live to make a few for Christmas gifts .

Thank you kindly.

Kat

Kat, did you look at the tutorial? That picture is only about halfway through the process. After they stick the wick in the jar and add the tarts, they pour a container wax over the whole business like a regular candle. Id bet getting the right wick is tough with the two different types of wax. And that container. 

Maybe read through that tutorial and see if you think it's doable for you? I'm sure you could use whatever pillar wax and container wax you have on hand. And the wax would determine your wick.

17 hours ago, pughaus said:

IMO, you should be able to use a single pour like 6006 for the whole thing, that might make the wicking easier anyway. 

• Like 1

Hey Kat, your not asking too many questions....;)Ask anything and if I know the answer, I'll answer...even if I don't know, I'll answer...lol

I'm going to try that in the next couple of days...and I know I use 464.....but I think I can make it work as I've done a lot of melts....but I'm thinking ....

I have honey dye, hunter green dye and teal/aqua dye....so I could experiment with those colors....

Oops, don't have any mica....geesh wonder where I could get that quick?....

The thing is the way they say to do it, geesh you would have to do extensive testing to get the correct wick.  And I'm not going with waxes that I have never used, that is for sure.   I think what I would do is pour the entire candle in my regular 464, and when the wax is at the slushy/more firm stage I am going to add the embeds and slide them into the slush and push up against the walls of the jar.  I don't think you need mica on the embeds going down in the body of the jar.  And I don't want anything to clog my wick.  Now what I would do is make the embeds for the top but make like 6 or 7 embeds depending on the size of them .  Now I would let my jar candle firm up pretty good with enough firmness but soft enough so I can push the embeds into the wax. Then I would do a slight repour as the final step on the candle top...Now this is what I am thinking of how I will make it.

Trappeur

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Hey Kat, your not asking too many questions....;)Ask anything and if I know the answer, I'll answer...even if I don't know, I'll answer...lol

I'm going to try that in the next couple of days...and I know I use 464.....but I think I can make it work as I've done a lot of melts....but I'm thinking ....

I have honey dye, hunter green dye and teal/aqua dye....so I could experiment with those colors....

Oops, don't have any mica....geesh wonder where I could get that quick?....

The thing is the way they say to do it, geesh you would have to do extensive testing to get the correct wick.  And I'm not going with waxes that I have never used, that is for sure.   I think what I would do is pour the entire candle in my regular 464, and when the wax is at the slushy/more firm stage I am going to add the embeds and slide them into the slush and push up against the walls of the jar.  I don't think you need mica on the embeds going down in the body of the jar.  And I don't want anything to clog my wick.  Now what I would do is make the embeds for the top but make like 6 or 7 embeds depending on the size of them .  Now I would let my jar candle firm up pretty good with enough firmness but soft enough so I can push the embeds into the wax. Then I would do a slight repour as the final step on the candle top...Now this is what I am thinking of how I will make it.

Trappeur

Thanks Trapp,

This project look so interesting & nice for gifts . The wicking is what will be the HUGE challenge for me...I have made candles ...lol for myself only for now using 4630 .

I do blend for melts thou  with the 4625 wax .

I would be terrified to give away any candle that I have not tested for safety performance . I only sell wax melts atm...

I am just not sure where to start with wicking this chunky piece of art. I thought about making the melt chunks ,same as I normally do, then do the over pour with my 4630 ...I really lack confidence when it come to candles . I was thinking if I start now with this ,just may get a few mastered before the holidays . I know I will have to test & test until I get the candles wicked properly.

Thank you for your detailed response . I know you have alot of experience & your great at candle making . I know it takes time & tons of testing to master a whole line of candles as you have done . I admire your dedication & hard work . 

I am so Blessed to have you all to turn to when I hit a bump in the road with this wax journey .

I will let you know how this is going . I hope to have a few made the safe correct way by the time the holidays arrive ..lol Wish me luck.

The wicking is certainly going to be the biggest Mountain to climb here for me . Hey I gotta try right . Thank you Trapp!!!

Kat

15 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Kat, did you look at the tutorial? That picture is only about halfway through the process. After they stick the wick in the jar and add the tarts, they pour a container wax over the whole business like a regular candle. Id bet getting the right wick is tough with the two different types of wax. And that container. 

Maybe read through that tutorial and see if you think it's doable for you? I'm sure you could use whatever pillar wax and container wax you have on hand. And the wax would determine your wick.

IMO, you should be able to use a single pour like 6006 for the whole thing, that might make the wicking easier anyway. 

Thanks Sarah ,Yes read the tutorial . I have not much experience with candle making lol.  I make tons of wax melts &  a few candles in my spare time .It is a  huge dream of mine to master candle making with palm wax ,that's a whole new story I know right ?

I saw Trapps post & want to make a few of these for gifts before the holiday season. It will take me that long to get the candles made properly .

I am terrified of the thought to ever give anyone a candle that is not properly wicked . I lack confidence when it comes to wicking . I have mastered some candles with good results using 4630 . I do realize

how much testing is involved when it comes to candle making .

I appreciate having you all here to help me out when I have a question . I am planning to make the melt chunks with my reg blend & over pour with the 4630 ,wicking is going to be the big challenge here . The melts will be 4625/4630 blend ,same as I always use for melts ,over pour 4630, just not sure about wicking ,being the chunks will have 4625 ,never wicked this wax before .

I have mostly used zinc wicks with 4630 ,seems to work out fine ,once I got the correct size wick with each container .

I am going to give this project a try & maybe by Christmas I will have mastered a few for gifts..lol if I do not lose my patience.

I know I will be going thru a ton of wax,wicks,jars during my trail testing . Thank you Sarah ,I greatly appreciate your response 😉

Kat

4 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

Thanks Sarah ,Yes read the tutorial . I have not much experience with candle making lol.  I make tons of wax melts &  a few candles in my spare time .It is a  huge dream of mine to master candle making with palm wax ,that's a whole new story I know right ?

I saw Trapps post & want to make a few of these for gifts before the holiday season. It will take me that long to get the candles made properly .

I am terrified of the thought to ever give anyone a candle that is not properly wicked . I lack confidence when it comes to wicking . I have mastered some candles with good results using 4630 . I do realize

how much testing is involved when it comes to candle making .

I appreciate having you all here to help me out when I have a question . I am planning to make the melt chunks with my reg blend & over pour with the 4630 ,wicking is going to be the big challenge here . The melts will be 4625/4630 blend ,same as I always use for melts ,over pour 4630, just not sure about wicking ,being the chunks will have 4625 ,never wicked this wax before .

I have mostly used zinc wicks with 4630 ,seems to work out fine ,once I got the correct size wick with each container .

I am going to give this project a try & maybe by Christmas I will have mastered a few for gifts..lol if I do not lose my patience.

I know I will be going thru a ton of wax,wicks,jars during my trail testing . Thank you Sarah ,I greatly appreciate your response 😉

Kat

Kat, I think your plan sounds very doable! That's a great place to start!

I have never tried to wick any of my pillar wax either. I use HTPs for my container wax, but the zincs might be a better way to go for wicking both.

I like Trapp's idea about using soy and adding the embeds at the slush stage too! I would love to see where you ladies go with this project! 😃

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

Kat, I think your plan sounds very doable! That's a great place to start!

I have never tried to wick any of my pillar wax either. I use HTPs for my container wax, but the zincs might be a better way to go for wicking both.

I like Trapp's idea about using soy and adding the embeds at the slush stage too! I would love to see where you ladies go with this project! 😃

It will be a challenge for me.

I know Trapp can do this blind folded lol.... I will keep you posted & put a pic of my final finished candles . I know this will take time for me ,so be patient with mine .I look forward to making these for gifts . I know I am in for alot of testing that's for sure lol. Thank you bunches!!!

Kat

• Like 1

I feel like one of the best waxes for this project would be palm seeing as if the mold for the tarts is not overly detailed you can make the tarts out of the container palm wax.  I might look into trying this once i get my palm wax wick figured out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ncraiders said:

I feel like one of the best waxes for this project would be palm seeing as if the mold for the tarts is not overly detailed you can make the tarts out of the container palm wax.  I might look into trying this once i get my palm wax wick figured out.

I love the look of palm wax candles .I agree this project would look very nice made with palm. The wicking is going to be the big challenge for me here lol...Gotta start with a plan thou right...

Yup.  I will be pouring more test candle tonight.  Gotta get the wicking down one way or another.  😀  I have more reason to do it now with this idea in my head.

Edited by ncraiders

To me, it looks like a very typical paraffin wax that you would pour very cool (same way you would to get the rustic look of pillars) - I honestly don't think it is any other type of wax. 

However, I would not just place them in a tureen loose like that with a wick. That is asking for trouble and IMO there is no way it would burn right. The gaps and air wold make the candles/flame go out. You would need some sort of overpour, which would then cover all the tarts. 

Personally I love it and think it looks great, however, I would not sell something like this as it also looks very unsafe to burn, and the average consumer might just light it up! 

Place them in the tureen without the wick, and then you can sell as a tart set, or a wickless that they can put on an electric burner to melt the wax down. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

To me, it looks like a very typical paraffin wax that you would pour very cool (same way you would to get the rustic look of pillars) - I honestly don't think it is any other type of wax. 

However, I would not just place them in a tureen loose like that with a wick. That is asking for trouble and IMO there is no way it would burn right. The gaps and air wold make the candles/flame go out. You would need some sort of overpour, which would then cover all the tarts. 

Personally I love it and think it looks great, however, I would not sell something like this as it also looks very unsafe to burn, and the average consumer might just light it up! 

Place them in the tureen without the wick, and then you can sell as a tart set, or a wickless that they can put on an electric burner to melt the wax down. 

Lol at first i thought the same thing but then i realized that was a picture before they poured plain white wax in to fill up all the open areas in the jar with wax.

8 minutes ago, ncraiders said:

Lol at first i thought the same thing but then i realized that was a picture before they poured plain white wax in to fill up all the open areas in the jar with wax.

OR as is typical with stuff you find on the internet, they had no intentions of using an overpour. I never trust that people are going to do what we actually expect them to do when it comes to finding stuff online. LOL 

I just wanted to point out to anyone who wanted to do this, that if they did it exactly like the pic shows, it's going to not burn right. And if you use an overpour, it defeats the purpose of wondering what the tarts look like because they will be covered, so what would it matter? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jcandleattic said:

OR as is typical with stuff you find on the internet, they had no intentions of using an overpour. I never trust that people are going to do what we actually expect them to do when it comes to finding stuff online. LOL 

I just wanted to point out to anyone who wanted to do this, that if they did it exactly like the pic shows, it's going to not burn right. And if you use an overpour, it defeats the purpose of wondering what the tarts look like because they will be covered, so what would it matter? 

That is so true.  I forget some people on the internet don't always use common sense.  Some of the candles on etsy and ebay are proof of that.

34 minutes ago, ncraiders said:

Yes it definitely has a over pour

I read the entire tuturial as Sarah suggested & was wanting to experiment with the project for Christmas gifts . I do not sell candles & lack the confidence of ever doing so . I would like to make palm candles someday for myself & family . I have a long long way to go when it comes to candle making . I have made some with my container paraffin with good results ,took a while to finally get a few scents mastered lol.. I like chunk look candles & thought this was interesting 😀

HA I didn't realize there was a tutorial attached so my apologies. (also didn't read all the posts before posting) 

However, IF there is an overpour, it would seriously not matter too much what the embeds looked like or were made of because they will be covered with the overpour, and all you will end up seeing is a tiny bit of color poking out of the overpour, so I wouldn't overthink it. Just use a wax you are familiar with and like working with. Easy peasy. 

If you only want the tarts, then yeah, I'd pour them the same as rustic pillars, using a paraffin pillar wax pouring very cool, to get that rustic, lined look. 

• Like 3

On 7/17/2018 at 4:31 PM, Jcandleattic said:

That's exactly what I was thinking.....They would look just beautiful to sell as tarts in a nice jar like this tureen where people would pickout the tart/melt and put in their warmer to burn.   

Now what I'm going to do is pour a regular candle and let it get a heavy slush  and add a few tarts already made into the candle and push what ever I can against the glass walls so you can see bits and pieces of the tart melts as it solidifies.  If I can add the melts at the right temperature I'm pretty sure they won't dissolve.   Then I'm going to push the melts into the top of the candle while the candle is more than slushy but a loose firm...lol.....lol...geesh am I making sense or what?  Then after the top melts are in the wax I would let the candle do its thing and get completely firm and then do a second pour but pour only on top of the wax, not over the melts...I know I can do it....well, I think I can...well I know I can....You don't need tons of melts in the candle as like JC said it will not burn correctly...without a doubt it wouldn't.   But I'm gonna give it and try and take pictures and see how it comes out....

Trappeur

• Like 1