WHY??

I've been so happy lately with my newest testers! I've changed to using 8 ounce canning jars lately and the glass seems to makes all the difference in the world I think in my finished product. I still love my tins, but for now I think I'm going to be working more with these and getting them perfected as much as I can. Only issue I seem to be having now is during the first burn I had some pretty awesome scent throw that really filled the room- I even had to put it out a little sooner than I probably should have since it was a little too strong.... and now today with my second burn there isn't as much scent at all unless you're by it. :( Really upsetting since I was pretty happy about it before! Would this be more of a blending issue maybe? Or did I do something else wrong? What can I do to fix it...?

I'm using CBL-130 which is a parasoy for anyone who may not know and HTP wicks with a few fairly strong FOs from The Flaming Candle... if I'm leaving out any needed info, please let me know!

17 hours ago, Grungedoll said:

I've been so happy lately with my newest testers! I've changed to using 8 ounce canning jars lately and the glass seems to makes all the difference in the world I think in my finished product. I still love my tins, but for now I think I'm going to be working more with these and getting them perfected as much as I can. Only issue I seem to be having now is during the first burn I had some pretty awesome scent throw that really filled the room- I even had to put it out a little sooner than I probably should have since it was a little too strong.... and now today with my second burn there isn't as much scent at all unless you're by it. :( Really upsetting since I was pretty happy about it before! Would this be more of a blending issue maybe? Or did I do something else wrong? What can I do to fix it...?

I'm using CBL-130 which is a parasoy for anyone who may not know and HTP wicks with a few fairly strong FOs from The Flaming Candle... if I'm leaving out any needed info, please let me know!

It could be a lot of different things.

- maybe you got a little "nose blind" to the fragrance after living with it a couple days

- maybe the weather changed, and the A/C or fans got turned on

- maybe the air currents in your house shifted due to weather

- maybe allergies have your sinuses a little constricted

When testing throw, I try not to burn the same candle two days in a row. I also save smaller candles and lighter fragrances for smaller rooms like bathrooms and bedrooms. If it's hot and I have fans on (like right now) I know my throw is going to suffer just because the air is moving so fast through the house.

Don't panic, give your nose a break for a couple days and think about if the air or temp was different from burn to burn. I found with the 130, the throw got better as the candle burned down, so give it a try again in a few days and see what happens. Or smell what happens, lol.

• Like 1

@Testing123 Yes, it is.

@Sarah S I'd thought about the "nose blind" thing myself... but I did wait a day between burns as I have quite a few different testers to burn right now. Is that not long enough for it to make a difference?
I'd only had air coming through the windows both times I'd burned it, but maybe you're right about the air currents changing or something... 😕
The scent I was burning was smoked vanilla from FC which is pretty strong. If it turns out that it just stays this way, is there anything at all I can do to try and prevent it if it isn't a case of my nose or the weather? Anything I could possibly be doing wrong in the whole process....? 😕

Oh, and also! I had the same person in the room with me the first and second time I'd burned it and even they said they couldn't really smell anything either.. :(
Sorry, I almost forgot to add that too.

Edited by Grungedoll

1 minute ago, runner14jc said:

@Grungedoll Having the windows open could absolutely affect how you are able to smell the candle. Have you been able to test it burning with the windows closed?

Yes, I have. It’s the same both ways. When I had the windows open there wasn’t much air current at all (there’s barely any air movement in this room), so it didn’t seem to make much difference. The first time I burned it even with them open it gave off awesome throw.... But maybe it could have effected it, who knows. Last night I burned another of the testers with everything shut and had the same issue, just got a few wiffs here and there. I’m so annoyed with my nose! 

Maybe try the trick learned on the forum....take a cut out of your tester candle...put it in a wax melter and see if the scent fills your room.  Just a thought...but maybe your tester burns perfect the first burn...but is too hot on the 2nd and 3rd burn??  There are others here with a lot more experience, and I am sure they can figure it out...

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I am no expert but have read on here before that some wick for the last half of the candle so the scent may not be as strong the initial burn or two but will catch up as you burn it more.  This also helps the jar not get too hot as it gets close to the end.  Maybe you did too large of a wick which worked great at first, but is burning the scent too quickly as it burns down?  I could be wrong.

If the wax/fo was mixed properly then it is most likely the wick being too hot.  You won't notice that as much on a first burn as you will when it starts getting inside the jar.  If these are the wider neck jars, you shouldn't reach a full mp on the first 2 hour burn, there should be a little hang up on the sides, these jars taper down as well so burn hotter toward the bottom.  I tested the small neck and hated them so can't help much there.