Wicking tapered containers

Can anyone offer any words of wisdom on wicking containers that aren’t straight sided? My 11oz tureens have a diameter of 3.3” at the top, and 4” in the middle. It seems to me that no wick is going to give you the perfect melt pool at two different diameters. It look as if I have two choices. The first is to accept that the best I can do is be over wicked at the top and under wicked in the middle. Or, as I use paraffin/soy blend, I could do a double pour and increase the percentage of soy in the top third. If anyone has any insight I would love to hear it. Just so you don’t think I’m crazy for insisting on using tureens I included a picture of one of mine, I could do this to any glass container but it doesn’t look as good on straight sided containers.  

IMG_1418.jpg.a1a773af090e549c6201d63e31ae9d70.jpg

• Like 1

The burn tends to be hotter as you get lower into the jar.  More heat retained. If you wick with the top diameter in mind, the burn may "catch up" lower into the jar.  To be on the safe side, I'd start my tests by wicking for about 3.5" overall  to keep it from getting too hot near the neck of the jar.  I'd rather have a bit of hang up on the widest part of the jar than risking the top overheating.

Those are cute jars, but not terribly easy to wick for a clean burn since the diameter is over 3.5".  Caveat:  I have only used this jar a few times and am no expert.  But the widest diameter I am comfortable with when using a single wick, esp. when using vegetable waxes, is about 3.5".  Once I get over that diameter, I have to double wick.

Edited by Crafty1_AJ
clarification
  • Thanks 1

The shape of that container creates a wicked air current in the belly. That increased current really raises the temperature at that point.

The burn at the top of the container barely has any air current by comparison.

If it were me I would start testing with only a half full jar to get the gist of the middle. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

The burn tends to be hotter as you get lower into the jar.  More heat retained. If you wick with the top diameter in mind, the burn may "catch up" lower into the jar.  To be on the safe side, I'd start my tests by wicking for about 3.5" overall  to keep it from getting too hot near the neck of the jar.  I'd rather have a bit of hang up on the widest part of the jar than risking the top overheating.

Those are cute jars, but not terribly easy to wick for a clean burn since the diameter is over 3.5".  Caveat:  I have only used this jar a few times and am no expert.  But the widest diameter I am comfortable with when using a single wick, esp. when using vegetable waxes, is about 3.5".  Once I get over that diameter, I have to double wick.

Thanks, I will be double wicking and it sounds like I should double wick for the 4" diameter.

23 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

If it were me I would start testing with only a half full jar to get the gist of the middle

If I haven't learned to follow your advice by now there is no hope for me, especially advice that will save me a lot of wax.

3 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Oh my gosh, is that ever a gorgeous gorgeous!!!!!  I just have to try that wax.... and that color of the wax...oh my!

What wax is it and the color you used if you don't mind me asking?

Trappeur

It's not the wax, it's the container. I color them with alcohol ink. I still have some kinks to work out, like sealing them and I'm still testing them with burning candles. 6006 seems to be the perfect background, they are not as pretty without wax in them.

OH my gosh!  So you do this application on the inside of the glass jar...not the outside...I see...well they are absolutely stunning jars.  I'd be spending a wad in your booth if you ever did something like that....that's just amazing Forest!   Never seen anything like it before. I actually thought it was a dye you used when I saw that jar.... Well, I guess I won't be doing that....lol   You certainly have the most unique and one of a kind jar that no one has....You will do well....Just lovem!:thumbsup:

Trappeur

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

OH my gosh!  So you do this application on the inside of the glass jar...not the outside...I see...well they are absolutely stunning jars.  I'd be spending a wad in your booth if you ever did something like that....that's just amazing Forest!   Never seen anything like it before. I actually thought it was a dye you used when I saw that jar.... Well, I guess I won't be doing that....lol   You certainly have the most unique and one of a kind jar that no one has....You will do well....Just lovem!:thumbsup:

Trappeur

Thanks :). It is on the outside, mostly, the threads for the jar lid are the hard part but I avoid having the ink touch the wax. Once I get better at making candles I could sell them, except for that thing about getting paid for your time. But I'll be retiring in a few years so who knows, I'm at least keeping my options open.

• Like 1

They are beautiful! I think you would make a killing at specialty shops, like meditation/yoga centers, head shops, and arty gift shops. Where people buy for aesthetic and not (just) fragrance. Keep at it, a unique product like that will be worth it!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1