When customer says they didn't receive their order??

craftlover

Hi Everyone. I need ya'lls advice on this. I fulfilled an order online, and I just received this message from my customer. She says she didn't receive her order, but that it shows delivered. She's wanting a refund from me. I'm not sure how to handle this one. Do I give her a refund, even though it said that it was delivered, or tell her to contact her post office? I'm not sure how to handle it. Here's the message from my customer. 

I wanted to let u kno I still haven't received my order yet , I figured I would give it a few more days to get here .. but unfortunately it hasn't but when I track my order it says it was delivered to a individual but I asked my husband,my sister in law and her husband and everyone says no they haven't received it or seen it I also asked my next door neighbor and they said no they didn't get any of my packages so I was wondering if u could help me either get my order or my money back pls and thank u so I can re order my stuff cuz it was a gift for my grandmother for part of her 90 the bday gift thank u again"

Anyone have advice for me? I want my customer to be satisfied, but on the otherhand, I processed and sent her order, so I'm at a loss. Thanks!

This happens from time to time and it's SO frustrating. Luckily it's not TOO often.  Most of the time, I end up replacing the order. It's the cost of business sometimes and good to have a happy customer. Though sometimes it's easy to feel like they're taking advantage. But I want to assume the best in my customer.  I've had packages marked delivered and then show up a few days later but sounds like she's already done that.  Hopefully it wasn't too big of an order.  I would definitely have her contact her post office to see if they can help out first! 

• Like 1

Here's my advise to you. First off stay calm + don't assume someone is lying ( not that you are :) ) Do you have tracking # - how was it sent first class - priority ?

Either way google post office in her city + see what comes up + call that number. Briefly tell them why your calling + see if thats the post office that delivers that 

area, if not they'll give you the correct #. My experience has been excellent with the post office in them following up with the mail carrier. They will talk to her/him 

and ask them about it and give them your phone # and ask them to kindly let you know either way. Ive had tracking show delivered and was not. Once the package was 

actually delivered to the wrong house or left at the side of the house, I know crazy ! Keep in touch with the customer so they don't feel as if you don't care.

You can also file with USPS a complaint to see if someone was tampering with Federal mail such as stealing. If tracking shows delivered thats what they suggest 

you should do + they follow up with the customer to ask them questions. Long story short if tracking shows delivered post office won't reimburse you since it 

shows delivered. I think by law you have to reimburse the customer though if tracking shows delivered or its lost. If tracking does not show delivered the post office

requires I believe  14 or maybe its 30 days before they open an investigation or consider it lost. Ive found in my experience the package does turn up. Just keep 

the customer informed. BTW what does tracking show - delivered ? Also, I think its good business practice to call the post office on they're behalf JMO :) 

Edited by Moonstar
  • Like 1

This happened to me just a couple weeks ago. I made an order with CS and on the delivery date got the email that it was delivered. But there was no package at my door or anywhere near my door. Called USPS and the opened a search for it. Turns out the postman forgot to put it on my doorstep and marked it delivered. Within 24 hours I had my package and a followup call from the post office. USPS was great to work with and got my package to me.

My advice is for your customer to call the carrier and have them open a search for the package. Tell them to give you a call back within a few days and if the carrier can't locate the package you can resend. Make sure you insure the package and every package you send so you can collect on any lost packages.

• Like 1

Insured?

priority includes insurance. You would be able to weed out cheats by requiring them to fill up the lost mail affidavit to begin the insurance claim. 

Delivered with individual? Huh. Someone made a mistake somewhere, eh?

What are your published policies for lost, or misdelivered mail? If you do not have policies you should think about publishing them now.  

• Like 1

You can go into the post office near your home and ask for a detailed search. They have more detail than what is published on the track services. They know which shelf, bin, and position a package is on at all times during their custody. 

• Like 1

It is weird that it says left with individual.  Seems like that individual would have known it wasn't for them?

It also took a long time for her to contact you after it was delivered.   If tracking shows delivered, any case against you will usually be found in your favor if you decide not to reimburse.

Definitely have them check with their local post office, they'll need the tracking number.

• Like 2

Yup what TT and Suzy said. Does seem like a long time to contact you. Id ask the post office to open an investigation. Also, per the post office they do not allow you to 

collect on Priority insured if the package shows delivered only if its lost or arrives broken. 

You need to follow up and find out who the individual was the package was delivered to. The postman must have some memory of it. If he remembers hand delivering it to a person who opened the front door as far as I would be concerned that is closed. If it was delivered to an individual like a neighbor you need to know that. If your customer doesn't get the investigation started I would see if I could find out.