Wicking the smokiest scent...Please help!

So trying to wick TFC's Campfire fo (which is fantastic, btw) in GB464.  I scented at 8% and every wick I've tried basically burns out within an hour or so.  I'm currently testing a Premier 780 wick (for a 2.75 inch diameter width candle), which is crazy high.  It's staying lit, but small flame and little HT  Do I need to lower the FO or keep wicking up?   Picture attached after a little over a 1 hour burn.

IMG_2283.JPG

Edited by ellajoan

I've used a 790 Premier in a pint canning jar with some fragrance oils before the new 464 came out (last year).  With the new boxes of 464, I have had to wick down to 770  with most of my FOs to get a halfway decent hot throw.  I'm happy to use a smaller wick , not happy with the hot throw.  I'm at about 6.7% in FO.  I've never tried more than that so not sure if the amount of oil is causing the problem or not.  As you are wicking up, are you plucking out one wick and replacing with the new size wick in the same jar or is each test being made in a new jar of wax.  If it were me, I would try a 790 just to see if you can get a nice flame.  If yes, then power burn to make sure your jar doesn't get too hot to handle.  If you still have a weak flame, I would start testing with a lower % of FO.  Eliminate one thing at a time so you can zero in on what is causing the problem.

GoldieMN

On 10/12/2017 at 1:54 PM, ellajoan said:

Does anyone think I need to cut down on fragrance oil?  I've already wicked up from a 755 to a 780, and the flame is still barely there.  

I used paraffin and cut down to 4

5 percent when I had this problem That worked and throw was still good.

On 10/11/2017 at 8:38 PM, ellajoan said:

So trying to wick TFC's Campfire fo (which is fantastic, btw) in GB464.  I scented at 8% and every wick I've tried basically burns out within an hour or so.  I'm currently testing a Premier 780 wick (for a 2.75 inch diameter width candle), which is crazy high.  It's staying lit, but small flame and little HT  Do I need to lower the FO or keep wicking up?   Picture attached after a little over a 1 hour burn.

IMG_2283.JPG

Is TFC Flmaning Candle ?  BC has 

a firewood FO that has a super realistic scent & WSP has Crackling Firewood. 

On 10/11/2017 at 8:47 PM, TallTayl said:

Have you tried eco? The one bear of a fragrance that behaves similarly to yours only burns with an eco. Or a wood wick.

Yep!  I was thinking ECO, too!  Even in coconut wax, which turns ECO wicks into torches, that smoke fo drowns everything if you don't wick up a lot.

So I tried an ECO 12.  Flame was huge, melt pool was a good size, but there was little to no hot throw!  Dang it!  I am thinking I"ll try reducing FO to 6% and maybe start w/ an ECO 8 or ECO 10?  What do you all think about that plan?

• 2 weeks later...