Popping noise as wax melts

Has anyone had this happen? When I am melting my wax the entire time it's making a popping noise. I use straight soy. I noticed it on my last 2 case of wax. I just ordered new wax and same thing. Then tonight I was almost down to the end of my box and reached in to feel the wax and it felt wet to me. Which is kinda what I had been thinking. Once my wax will get to the right temp and I shut it off the popping stops. If I turn it back on it will start again. I am so upset. 

There are a couple of things about water in wax. In clear wax it looks like shiny beads and it will look like shiny whatever color you've got as long as you can see down to the bottom of the pot. 

Water will always sink to the bottom in wax, so you know you can ladle out or draw from the top of your pot till you get to the bottom to save the wax. If you try to save it all, you could pour it off into something lined with aluminum foil say and wait for it to harden. The water will stay on  the aluminum foil when you peal the wax away from it. However, to be safe that you got it all, dab the area where the water left a dent with a paper towel to see if you need to soak up more water. 

Water and wax can cause an explosion/mess so you really want to have it off or out of a heated source. There are uses for water and wax such as ice pillars and making wispy designs by plunging hot wax into water so that it forms things, but if this isn't the case, get rid of it in your heat source. 

Too, look at your melting system. If it's a pour pot, make sure that hasn't sprung a leak. If it's your wax you will be dealing with it as one of those PITA steps as you use it. Water in wax doesn't make it bad. It just makes it inconvenient when it isn't supposed to be there. 

Edited by Scented
  • Like 1

Scented .... Im always amazed at how much knowledge you have with wax. Of course now I have a dumb question, as usual lol ! How would water get it to the 

batch that Daisy has and daisy where did you purchase your wax from ? Has this happened before ? Years ago I ordered 464 off Ebay and

I noticed the wax had ice in there. When I contacted the seller she said it was from the freezer they stored it in lol ! Good lord , when I 

think back on how much $$$ Ive wasted, its sickening :( 

Edited by Moonstar

Waxes generally get water bathed if I'm not mistaken to form slabs etc., but a number of things could have happened. 

If it's in the box or the box is wet my guesses are that either some of the water was trapped in the cooling process; there might have been water in the box; box might have gotten wet at a facility, in transit or someone spilled next to it type of thing. 

It can get there in sneaky ways, but like a double boiler melting system could cause it if the water is too high and boils.

If there's a wet box ... get what wax out you can. 

Moonstar ... even that wax that was frozen, could have been used if you were willing to do the melting and separating. I don't know what amount of water the crystals would have left behind, but even a drop of water can cause a nightmare of a clean up. I know what a pain water is in wax and sometimes the work doesn't leave you feeling like it's ever going to make a difference or that it's even worth it. Then one day wax makes a mess and that's how you know the work would have been worth it, because as you look at other people's ooops and strange events and think glad that wasn't me ... one day it could be. 

• Like 1

I have 8 presto pots. They all have a spigot so should I not use that and ladle it all out? The day I posted this I had made 300 candles. I am doing 2 fundraisers and I am signed up for 3 shows within 3 weeks. The whole water thing has me freaked out. I was googling about it and it said it can cause your wick not to burn right and/or get clogged.  I ordered 500# of wax and checked 3 of the boxes and when I reach my hand down to the bottom it is definitely wet. I am going to first thing in the morning but I am already thinking they are not going to want to do anything about it..that will NOT be good! I spend a lot of money with this company so they better make it right. I have been so upset about this I can't sleep. Almost 5 a.m. now.  I just hope and pray they will be decent and send me new wax not from the same lot that I have. Thanks so much for your help everyone!

• Like 1

If it was frozen simple condensation as the case thawed could have caused the moisture collected in/on the box. Could also be "freezer burn" inside the closed plastic bag as molecular water separated from the wax flakes during the freeze.

I would not call it a waste, though. If you know it is there, you can air the flakes out before putting into the pot, or melt, cool and separate after. 

Since the box box of raw flakes feels wet, I would spread them onto a large flat surface for a while. A fan or dehumidifier in the room will help speed it along. stir the drying flakes to move them around to expose more surface area then go on business as usual making product.

• Like 2

Wow, this thread is unbelievable about water in wax.....I have never had that happen to me....though once in a great while I will hear a popping in melted wax, just a few pops but then it never popped again and I never thought about it really.  Wow Daisy, I am glad they replaced your wax.  That would have been the death of me, should that have happened.  It's really been a learning experience for me listening how you can salvage wax in the way Tall Tayle said to.  But, there is no way in h...ll that I would even think about doing that should that ever happen to me.  That sure would scare the dickens out of me.   I would expect a full replacement of wax or there would be hell to pay.......Glad they are sending you more wax Daisy.!

Trappeur

• Like 2

I agree with Trapper, this thread is unbelievable ! Personally, I would not do the necessary steps to separate that water and wax. I would have no clue for one 

plus I'd expect it to be replaced. Daisy, I feel just horrible thinking about how many jars, wicks not to mention your stress levels. Im so glad that they are 

sending you new wax Daisy. Are all companies this responsive that they'd do the right thing and replace or is it more common for them to say not our 

problem because you can't prove how the water got in there on the first place ? Interesting thread for sure. Daisy please keep us posted.

Sending good vibes your way :) 

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2016 at 10:07 AM, Trappeur said:

Wow, this thread is unbelievable about water in wax.....I have never had that happen to me....

Trappeur

I think it's much more common in paraffin waxes than in soy, but can happen. 

It happens in my wax sometimes, and I've just gotten used to look for it when melting my wax, especially if I hear the popping or sizzling.

And I also accidentally get water in my hurricane wax when I use a water bath to quickly cool the wax when making my "forever memory" hurricanes, and all I do is what TT suggested, let me hurricane wax cool, and when I take it out of the pour pot, because the wax will solidify above the water, there is a small pool at the bottom of my presto pot, wipe it dry/clean and am ready for the next batch. 

Sometimes, IF I don't get all the water out, it will create a pock or small hole, at the bottom of the shell the next time I use the wax, and I'll have to start over to correct this. Doesn't happen often, but does happen if/when I'm being sloppy or in a hurry. It's easily rectified. (IMO)