Substitute for Palm Oil?

Lady Di

I heard recently that the process of obtaining palm oil is adverse to the environment. What can I use to replace this ingredient in my soap recipe?

My tried-and-true recipe is this:

Coconut oil

Palm oil

Canola oil

Olive oil

Shea butter

Anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks, in advance.

Lard/tallow is a good substitute for palm oil, but you can also use olive or rice bran oil.

In one of the conferences I went to, there was a bar of 100% olive and another bar of 100% rice bran oil. You can't tell them apart as far as properties and feel go... Since then, I have up'd my rice bran oil considerably in my CP soaps ;)

Kitty

It's JMO but I would make absolutely sure that what you heard is true before change a tried and true recipe of your own that you have used foor years. It probably took you quite a while to come up with what work for you and your customers. Have the facts and not heresay of others.

That said, could you go with PKO Flakes? I know both Palm oil and PKO Flakes bring totally different things to a recipe but it will add hardness to the bar as well.

Have a good day,

Fire

"That said, could you go with PKO Flakes? I know both Palm oil and PKO Flakes bring totally different things to a recipe but it will add hardness to the bar as well."

If someone wants to avoid using Palm oil because of environmental issues, then PKO is not a good substitute since it comes from the same plant.

Thanks for the link, that was a very interesting piece.

The best substitute for Asian palm is South American palm. There are no orangutans in S America and the palm crops are being grown on reclaimed plantations, not newly clear-cut forest. These farms are also following NOP guidelines for sustainability and organic farming methods.

You will have to pay more for this type of palm, just like a free range hormone and antibiotic free turkey will cost you more than a Butterball.

It's all about priorities.

For more information see http://www.daabonusa.com/usa/ourphilosophy.html

BTW, Daabon palm oil is sold domestically under the Spectrum brand name, but Columbus Foods offers a VERY similar product that is sold as their organic palm.

HTH someone