Soap Label? Can you do this?

ktaggard

I ran across a soap at a national health food store that announced on it's label "NO Sodium Hydroxide". Curious, I turned over the label and looked for ingredients. It stated that it used Saponified coconut oil and saponified grapeseed oil. Hum? Are you allowed to hide sodium hydroxide(lye) in that way? Maybe if it is rebatched? Seemed dishonest, but on the other hand, I would love to not include lye in my list of ingredients. Thoughts?

My ingredient list is very simple; saponified olive oil, coconut oil, etc., etc. I don't list 'lye' as an ingredient because its been changed through the process of saponification and is no longer lye. That's my understanding anyway and from what I have seen on other soapers labels they list their ingredients about the same. If my customer wants to know about 'saponified' on the label then I explain it them. Most get that far off look like its too much info to process and they aren't really that interested-- TMI if you know what I mean.

• Like 1

Thanks, Candybee. That makes sense. I am currently working on soap labels for a little craft show in my home town, so this is good news. This will be the 1st time I sell my soap or any of my products, for that matter, so I want to do it right. Thanks again!

The following information is from other discussions on the subject and from one person who talked to an FDA Officer specifically about soap labeling. Soap does not require an ingredient list on the label. However, like everyone else, I prefer to have the ingredients listed for those with allergies.

{

Ingredients can be listed one of two ways, Pre-Saponification (what went into the pot) or Post-Saponification (final product after reaction). Not a combination of both, however. So, a soap made with olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter, water, lye, lavender essential oil and kaolin clay would be correctly labled either:

olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter, water, sodium hydroxide, fragrance, clay OR sodium olivate, sodium cocoate, sodium shea butterate, fragrance, clay

(Fragrance is the recognized term but Essential Oil or the Latin Name can be used. Same with the Clay, Kaolin can be used.)

Using 'Saponified Oils of' vs 'ates' - The FDA understands that the average consumer will not understand the chemical names, but Saponified Olive Oil is not in the dictionary while Sodium Olivate is, so the latter is preferred.

Needing to use INCI Names and access to the dictionaries - (e.g. Butyrospermum Parkii instead of Shea Butter) - The common or usual ingredient names are required by law and still acceptable. However, the FDA does not currently object to using the ingredient names in the International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary and Handbook.

The FDA Officer was very informative and interested in making sure all soapmakers understand labeling requirements. He indicated that if there is enough interest, they may add a new page to their website specifically for soap labeling.

}

I have a tendency to use the INCI for my ingredients because it's required on B&B lables. But, I need to adjust based on the above. I like using the common terms. So, have to figure out if I want sodium hydroxide on the label. I really prefer the 'Saponified Oils of' but it's not actually correct according to the FDA.

Labels still drive me crazy....

Edited by ProudMarineMom

Ok, wow. This is exactly what I wanted to know. I think I am going to list saponified oils, plus other common name ingredients. How is that for twisting all the guidelines together? I think that will do for now. When I start making my millions, I might have to revisit this issue again. :) Thanks so much.

Lard is from pig fat where as tallow is generally from beef. Tallow can also come from deer, bear, goat and sheep according to SoapCalc. Although, SoapCalc does also reference Lard as Pig Tallow. I guess I would be concerned about listing it as just tallow because of those that cannot have pork products.

I proudly list "lard" as one of my ingredients. Have yet to have a single customer comment on it. I think of it this way-- lard and or tallow have been two of the most used ingredients in soapmaking for a long, long time. So many people are already used to lard used as a common ingredient in homemade soap.

I proudly list lard, too, and have never had anyone question me about it or say 'eeww'. Trying to hide it can lead you into trouble seeing as how it is considered distinct from all the other kinds of animal tallows out there. The main reason being (although there may be other reasons as well) because people of the Jewish and Muslim faiths are forbidden from using pork products as a part of their religious kosher laws/practices. For me, it would be unconscionable to not list it- not only because of the kosher thing, but also because people could have possible allergies to it. I feel that honesty is the best policy when it comes to labeling.

• 9 years later...
tal·low
/ˈtalōnoun
a hard fatty substance made from rendered animal fat, used in making candles and soap.

Labeling requirements for pure soap (not M&P) only require the following on the label:
The word "soap", net wt (U.S. & metric), required contact info.  

I have to question, why bother putting ingredients on the label? The only downfall I see is those with specific allergies or who have religious limitations may not be your customer.  

24 minutes ago, Qwizwizard said:
tal·low
/ˈtalōnoun
a hard fatty substance made from rendered animal fat, used in making candles and soap.

Labeling requirements for pure soap (not M&P) only require the following on the label:
The word "soap", net wt (U.S. & metric), required contact info.  

I have to question, why bother putting ingredients on the label? The only downfall I see is those with specific allergies or who have religious limitations may not be your customer.  

If you make no claims you’re not required to list ingredients.

Many of us list ingredients because we’re proud of what we put in our soap.

Plus there are ingredients that people are averse to us such as animal products in some cases or palm in other cases.

Do what works for your brand. 👍🏻😊

• Like 1