Coffee soap help

tlc

I made some "coffee grounds" M&P this morning for the first time and most of the grounds settled to the bottom of the mold (which would be the top of the bar once unmolded) :undecided.

Can I remelt and start over? Will that ruin the soap by doing so? :cry2:

I used 2 pounds of Goat's milk soap base and poured in a tray 8 bar mold. I'm guessing I should have waited a little longer to pour but I got scared *shudder*

Thanks all!

** Editing here. I found the answer to whether or not I can remelt and the answer was yes so that part is answered. Should I have waited for the soap to get thicker before I poured? I waited until there was a slight skin on the top before pouring.

Here are a couple of pics. Not the prettiest things I ever saw...

coffsoap002_zps9ecb82ab.jpg

coffsoap003_zps623c3bcd.jpg

Edited by tlc

Nope, it wont hurt it at all ( as long as you don't "over-cook" it LOL )

Just chop it up , melt it back down, and stir it til it starts getting thicker and trying to set up.

Then just pour it back in the mold.

You will more than likely have some that sink to the bottom (top) til you get a hang of how cool to pour.

The coffee grounds are heavier and the cooler the soap, the more they stay suspended.

I did remelt and tried pouring cooler while I was waiting for opinions. After unmolding the bars look a little better than the ones I posted but sure ain't nothing to brag about. What I did notice was that the skin that formed while I was waiting for it to cool down to pour, made lumps on the top (which would be the bottom once unmolded). I should have not let the skin be poured into the mold or stirred more (scratching head).

I probably could strain them out or mostly out. Maybe some of my coffee grounds are just too big and heavy like BTA is kind of saying. I ground some beans in my coffee grinder and may have not got them fine enough. Who the heck knows at this point. It sure does smell good though :)

Thanks all :)

Edited by tlc

Another trick is to use coffee grounds very sparingly. A little goes a long way with M&P. Start out with 1/2 tsp pp base. With coffee grounds always test a bar out before you give to anyone. Coffee grounds dry out in the soap and can be extremely course and scratchy when washing with it. I've even tried using "used" or already brewed coffee grounds and same thing.. soaps came out scratchy/very abrasive when washing with them. Great if you want an intense scrub but not so great if you don't like scratchy soap.