Scent Suggestions Needed

Candybee

Oh, that would be cute. With antique buttons or pieces of fabric....

I think the ladies were big on waving their hankies at the soldiers in those days. I read about a battle in SC where the Yankees were advancing on a certain town, so the Southern ladies lined the streets and waved their hankies at the Confederate soldiers, shouting, "Don't you let those Yankees come in here!" I be their hankies were perfumed.

Edited by HorsescentS

Leather and tobacco might be good. BCN has a great scent called Peppercorn (does not smell like pepper at all). It's outstanding in soap, discolors slightly, no acceleration, and super strong. To me, it is a masculine fragrance but women love it too. It was always the first to sell out for me.

definately check out peppercorn if you haven't already.. it would work well for one of these

Wow you guys are tops!!! I know I came to the right place to ask for suggestions. Between all the suggestions and my own ideas I am swimming in ideas.

Someone mentioned the names and Grey Ghost-- I actually had that on my list of names because I live in the town where Mosby's men were hanged and executed. Mosby was known as the Grey Ghost and had a secret route he used to get back and forth thru the valley without detection. That same route is used today and is now a state road I have driven over many times.

Anyway-- I decided to go with "Pickett's Charge" as one of my scents instead of Grey Ghost. Pickett was a dandy and well known for his 'perfumed' person. I am using a mix of Bay Rum and Burberry for him.

I am thinking of Muster Roll for my earthy patchouli and honey blend. Or maybe OMH for muster roll and patchouli for something else.

Its the Battlefield fragrance that I am having the most trouble with. I don't want a grassy scent as much as I want a wildflower type. I definitely want a lavender blend with chamomile perhaps, maybe sage too, plus notes of meadow grasses. Remember these soaps have to sell and lavender is one of my top sellers so I am trying to work out a scent for lavender as my top note.

I know he wants a campfire scent but honestly I don't think it will sell as a soap.

I want to come up with 4 core soap scents then branch out from there. The core scents should be tried and true and good sellers.

I am also thinking of a Southern Bell type with magnolia and peach and thinking of an "Abigail" scent for Mrs. Lincoln. I don't just want musky, male, earthy, woodsy types, I also want feminine types as ladies will probably be the biggest buyers.

You guys have come up with so many ideas I am having way too much fun with this.

Keep them coming!! LOL

Autumn Embers from MW is a campfire type scent IMO. It's is woodsy but has those campfire notes in there. I've only made candle with it so not sure how it would do in soap.

Also Bonfire Bliss from RE is very good. They sent me a MP sample with my last order and it smells great!! It has vanilla in it and is sweet but has a touch of smokiness and I think it would sell in a soap.

Edited by jackbenimble

Sounds like a fun project! You might want to consider NG Cracklin' Birch, it's nice and strong in cp, discolors light brown but I always use goat milk. Sells really well for me and should work fine for your campfire type scent:-)

For the Southern Belle... You could go with Tennessee Candle Supplies' Peach Magnolia Raspberry, I love this in soap, and doesn't discolor so you can swirl it up real pretty. Scent works has the best peach for cp if you want a straight up peach, and it is called White Peach. You could blend this with other fragrances, and make your own custom scent.

Its the Battlefield fragrance that I am having the most trouble with. I don't want a grassy scent as much as I want a wildflower type. I definitely want a lavender blend with chamomile perhaps, maybe sage too, plus notes of meadow grasses. Remember these soaps have to sell and lavender is one of my top sellers so I am trying to work out a scent for lavender as my top note.

Use the same blend I posted but substitute the FCG for amber (non sweet variant) with a hint of honeysuckle. The floral honesuckle should play off the gunpowder scent nicely.

.50 gunpowder (AAA/Taylored) .33 amber(earthy) .15 honeysuckle 2-5 drops dirt

if you don't have amber(earthy) try sweetgrass.

Should be a very unisex gunpowder battlefield scent.

Edited by rctfavr3

The Civil War was fought aprox 25 years before the great chestnut blight wiped out all the chestnut trees in 1900, so at least 1/4 of all the trees in the East and Southeast during the Civil War were chestnut trees, and people ate chestnuts constantly. I don't believe the stories of settlers starving to death because chestnuts were like fast food, they were all over the place to gather and store for the winter. Most of the houses and barns were made of chestnut wood in those days. I bet soldiers cooked and ate a lot of chestnuts, and there are some chestnut scents on the fragrance oil finder that look interesting. Maybe a chestnut note would be good. Here's an article about the chestnut blight of 1900 which wiped out billions of trees:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chestnut_blight

And this page has a map showing that chestnut trees once covered all the Southern states and all the states east of the Mississippi: http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/bio203/s2009/dorman_step/Geography.htm

This page has even more chestnut history, including the fact that chestnuts were used to fatten livestock, so the soldiers probably fed them to their cavalry horses: http://mdtacf.org/story.shtml

I even had a family member who had a grove of old chestnut trees on her property in SC. Maybe 10 or 12 trees, which had somehow miraculously survived the blight.

Also, I think I read that camelia flowers were a popular perfume during the Civil War era.

Edited by HorsescentS

Wow! The Civil War soldiers and their women-fold took a lot of opium and morphine! Here's a list of the basic medicines the doctors kept on the battlefield:

Dr. Charles Beneulyn Johnson, a Union regimental medical steward, described the contents of the medical chests. "During a campaign our stocks of medicines were necessarily limited to standard remedies." He recalled, among which could be named opium, morphine, Dover's powder, quinine, rhubarb, Rochelle Salts, Epsom salts, castor oil, sugar of lead, tannin, sulphate of copper, sulphate of zinc, camphor, tincture of iron, tincture of opium, camphorate, syrup of squills, simple syrup, alcohol, whiskey, brandy, port wine, sherry wine etc. Upon going into camp, where we were likely to remain a few days, these articles were unpacked and put on temporary shelves made from box lids; on the other hand, when marching orders came, the medicines were again packed in boxes, the bottles protected by old papers, etc." Johnson continued, "Practically all the medicines were in powder form or in the liquid state. Tablets were not yet come into use and pills were very far from being as plentiful as they are today...." The doctor noted, "....one of the very few pills we carried in stock...was composed of two grains of camphor and one of opium. Asafetida, valerian and opium and its derivatives (sic) were about all (we) had to relieve nervousness and induce sleep." http://www.4thus.com/opium

As you can see, I go a little nutso about history. lol I just read that the Civil War soldiers drank a mixture of Whiskey and Gunpowder! Also, they ate mostly corn bread in those days instead of wheat bread. They at a lot of pork, salt pork, corn bread, molasses, buckwheat cakes. I wonder what a mix of bacon or ham, molasses, cornbread, whiskey and gun powder would smell like, along with some coffee, campfire, and opium. lol

• 4 weeks later...

Purfume button idea is so cool! Candybee, how's it coming along? Are you in Berryville, Front Royal or Winchester? lol Fig. it's one of those. Please let me know when these are out and where the store is located, I'd love to try some out :) So many wonderful ideas can't wait to hear what you have come up with! My dad is a major history buff, my uncle as well, these would be perfect gifts :)