Scent Suggestions Needed

Candybee

I have just been asked to create a line of cold process soaps for a Civil War Battlefield Foundation.

I thought I would get my good buddies here to throw some suggestions my way for scents and names that would be relevant to the Civil War and Battlefields.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Oh, this is interesting! Some of the soldiers wore velvet buttons with the scent of their sweetheart's perfume on their uniform collars:

PERFUME BUTTONS

Perfume Buttons, in my opinion, have the loveliest story. Made in the mid-1800's, they have an underlay of velvet fabric with a pierced, ornate brass overlay. The perfumes of the Victorian Era were oil based, and when used on the skin, would soil the women's' clothing. These buttons were designed so women could dab their perfume on the velvet of the button, thus, protecting their clothing and carrying the scent for a long time. Keep reading…you will love this. During the Civil War, women would give such a button, scented with their perfume, to a husband or lover going off to war. He would stitch it under his uniform collar as a reminder of the love he left behind.

Wow! I see a line of southern type candles for me someday. Did we chase Candybee away?

Oh, this is interesting! Some of the soldiers wore velvet buttons with the scent of their sweetheart's perfume on their uniform collars:

PERFUME BUTTONS

Perfume Buttons, in my opinion, have the loveliest story. Made in the mid-1800's, they have an underlay of velvet fabric with a pierced, ornate brass overlay. The perfumes of the Victorian Era were oil based, and when used on the skin, would soil the women's' clothing. These buttons were designed so women could dab their perfume on the velvet of the button, thus, protecting their clothing and carrying the scent for a long time. Keep reading…you will love this. During the Civil War, women would give such a button, scented with their perfume, to a husband or lover going off to war. He would stitch it under his uniform collar as a reminder of the love he left behind.

This sounds interesting for a battle in a snowy southern spruce tree forested area:

Silver Spruce

Bramble Berry Soap Making Supplies

"Silver Spruce is what walking through a cold, snow-covered white spruce forest smells like - notes of white spruce are mixed with supporting notes of blue spruce and walnut tree. The fragrance also has a sprinkling of cranberries and hollyberries blended perfectly with notes of tree bark and sap. This complex blend comes off as a sophisticated forest fragrance without wilting at the end."

Wow! This sounds good for earth! And it has a lavender note, which is great because they used it for everything back in the Civil War era, including cleaning, medicine, dressing wounds, etc.

Rare Earth

Candle Cocoon Candle Supply

"Imagine a deep healing mud wrap that uses the finest African clays. You can almost smell the activity of the jungle river. A deeper, richer, earthy, animalic scent with raw masculinity. Top notes of galbanum, lavender, sage, cedar and patchouli."

Edited by HorsescentS

I will share my best kept secret.....

I have a "western collection" of soy candles and the best by far is-

SC champaca and bamboo and I call it Apache Tears

I believe it's soap safe and so very earthy and I don't know my history that great but I think apache wars were going on during the civil wars

Jus name ideas - magnolia morning, moonlight and magnolia, candellight rose, grey ghost,twilight in gettysburg, confederate christmas, morning riders, road to glory, war horse, men of valor

I totally cheated and looked up the names of Mort Kunstler's paintings, my aunt has his stuff throught her house and I pictured them in my head while reading the post. A lot of good ideas. :)

http://mortkunstler.com/html/art-limited-edition-prints.asp?CATID=136

PERFUME BUTTONS

Wouldn't it be kinda cool to have a couple of perfume type fragrances, based on this concept, and create a little story card to go with the soap. Either from the viewpoint of the soldier talking about him and his girl or from the viewpoint of the girl.

These are great!

Jus name ideas - magnolia morning, moonlight and magnolia, candellight rose, grey ghost, twilight in gettysburg, confederate christmas, morning riders, road to glory, war horse, men of valor

I totally cheated and looked up the names of Mort Kunstler's paintings, my aunt has his stuff throught her house and I pictured them in my head while reading the post. A lot of good ideas. :)

http://mortkunstler.com/html/art-limited-edition-prints.asp?CATID=136

Wouldn't it be kinda cool to have a couple of perfume type fragrances, based on this concept, and create a little story card to go with the soap. Either from the viewpoint of the soldier talking about him and his girl or from the viewpoint of the girl.

That's a wonderful idea! And I bet the love letters the ladies sent to the battlefield were perfumed as well.

This stuff would sell really well in the South. When I lived in the South, it was as if the Civil War had just ended the previous week, they were still living it, I guess because it happened in their front yards and fields, and they had many ancestors involved in it. Civil War reenactment is a big deal in the South, and so is hunting for Civil War artifacts with a metal detector.

Guest OldGlory

Leather and tobacco might be good. BCN has a great scent called Peppercorn (does not smell like pepper at all). It's outstanding in soap, discolors slightly, no acceleration, and super strong. To me, it is a masculine fragrance but women love it too. It was always the first to sell out for me.