Goat's Milk Soap

Buttsmom

I'm enjoying M&P soap, but think I'm ready to try making CP soap. Anyone have a small simple GM recipe to try for a newbie? I'd like to make a batch in my silicone bread pan, I don't want to make a big batch since I have to wait for a month to know if it turns out. I have actual GM milk to use in it. Oh and I would like it to be palm free, I googled and every recipe I found had palm in it. Thanks.

I've successfully made soaps without palm. I usually use a recipe that has Olive oil, Castor Oil, Lard, Shea butter, and Sunflower oil. I make it specifically for a friend who is allergic to both palm and coconut oil. It is a fairly soft soap, but very conditioning.

As for simple, though, olive oil is going to be your best bet. You'll probably have to refrigerate your soap, too. Just an advance warning.

You'll probably have to refrigerate your soap, too. Just an advance warning.

After thinking about this response, did you mean put it in the refrigerator to prevent gel or to store the finished soap. I read it as storing the soap after making. If it was the prior, I apologize. Though I don't refrigerate my just made loaves or bricks either. I just elevate them and don't cover.

After thinking about this response, did you mean put it in the refrigerator to prevent gel or to store the finished soap. I read it as storing the soap after making. If it was the prior, I apologize. Though I don't refrigerate my just made loaves or bricks either. I just elevate them and don't cover.

Preventing gel. CP soap doesn't need to be refrigerated for the finished soap. I still have to refrigerate it to make sure it doesn't overheat with certain additives. I'd suggest it for a first timer using GM for sure.

For a small loaf silicone I use about 25 oz. of oils. If you're not vegan, I would use 50% Olive, 25% Lard and 25% coconut. You won't be disappointed. I freeze the milk and then add the lye all at once or a bit at a time, keep stirring and keep the container in an cold-water bath so it doesn't heat up too much. It may turn a little orange after you add the lye, but you don't want it to scorch, so keep it cool. I add the FO to the oils before adding the lye mixture.

I keep a temperature probe in my goat milk solution and stop adding lye if the temp climbs above 90 degrees. Once it cools back down, I start adding again and really stir a lot to keep the lye from clumping. The end result looks like a lemon curd sauce and needs to be kept on the ice bath until you're ready to mix into the oils. Another technique is to only use several ounces of goat milk and add it like you would a super fat oil at the end. The 100% goat milk is very nice and can tend to take a while to firm up but is worth the wait. HTH

Steve

For a small loaf silicone I use about 25 oz. of oils. If you're not vegan, I would use 50% Olive, 25% Lard and 25% coconut. You won't be disappointed. I freeze the milk and then add the lye all at once or a bit at a time, keep stirring and keep the container in an cold-water bath so it doesn't heat up too much. It may turn a little orange after you add the lye, but you don't want it to scorch, so keep it cool. I add the FO to the oils before adding the lye mixture.

If you are vegan you would not be using goats milk ;) Just teasing, I figured you thought of that after. But what I really wanted to comment on was that the method for freezing the GM and mixng in a cold water bath is a great tip for a newbie! I remember the first time I made GM soap. OMG! The stench! I scorched my GM when adding the lye. I had a orange mess of curdled GM. yuk! Smells like ammonia. hurl! Also if a person wants to avoid palm, yep, Lard is my choice also. I personally am not a huge fan of plain OO soaps. I pretty much soap the identical recipe you just mentioned. 50, 25, 25! Works great every time!

I use palm and plan to continue to after carefully reading all about it. I make great goat milk soap. Use your favorite recipe. I hate soap made with lard. Freeze your goat milk. Add your lye all at once to the frozen goat milk. I have never had a problem. Soap is not white, but it is a very light beige.I add colors and do swirls, etc. Never refrigerate cp soap. It makes it sweat. Even if it is cured and old.