Can't choose a wax....

Though I hardly ever use soy (except the 415), I think many if not most people prefer CD wicks for the C-3. I believe the c-3 is the only wax Stella used/uses, with CDN wicks. Have no idea if there is a difference between CD and CDN wicks 'cause I do not use them.

hth :-)

Though I hardly ever use soy (except the 415), I think many if not most people prefer CD wicks for the C-3. I believe the c-3 is the only wax Stella used/uses, with CDN wicks. Have no idea if there is a difference between CD and CDN wicks 'cause I do not use them.

hth :-)

You're right, and Stella uses 1 Tablespoon of USA (Universal Soy Additive) per pound of wax. I forgot which supplier sells the USA. The CDN are like CD, but they're treated, I think, but can't remember in what way they're treated...hmmm....

You're right, and Stella uses 1 Tablespoon of USA (Universal Soy Additive) per pound of wax. I forgot which supplier sells the USA. The CDN are like CD, but they're treated, I think, but can't remember in what way they're treated...hmmm....

You're right, I forgot about Stella using the universal soy additive. Can't remember if she mentioned what was different about the CDNs vs the CDs. I know the CDNs are harder to find than then CD, but I also know that Southwest candle supply is where you'll find them. :smiley2:

Use the search field, lots & lots of threads. Stella was the expert, you'll find her on alot of the threads about C-3. Great info about additives & wicks. I like 415 better, but still testing with C-3.

ChandlerWicks, when I did try the C-3, I always ended up with a very smooth, creamy candle; even managed to get good HT with several FOs, but in my experience paraffin will throw well with just about any scent; can't say the same thing about soy - probably something I'm doing wrong, plus I do not have the patience, lol. CDN 14 is what I always used.

Yes, C-3 looks better, but I like the HT with 415. Love the richness of bakery FOs in soy. I always get mushrooms with the CDNs in C-3, tried almost everything except for USA. That's next.

Same here, imho the 415 has the best HT of all other soy waxes, but it gets an "F" for looks, especially after a burn, lol. I read about improving the tops by pouring at the slushy stage, but as I said, patience is no virtue of mine:laugh2:. However, I have a (thankfully) few customers who want soy, and that's when I use the 415.

Edited by Ravens
  • Like 1

Same here, imho the 415 has the best HT of all other soy waxes, but it gets an "F" for looks, especially after a burn, lol. I read about improving the tops by pouring at the slushy stage, but as I said, patience is no virtue of mine:laugh2:. However, I have a (thankfully) few customers who want soy, and that's when I use the 415.

You can sprinkle wax crumbles on the tops, maybe with some glitter.

I'm currently using 415, I get great CT and HT, but as some have said, it looks dieseased!! And its driving me nuts!! Ordering 5 lbs of C-3 to do some testing, what is the best wick for this one? And are there any additives I should use for Max performance? TIA!

I use C3 and love it. It, like any soy, has its quirks. USA (The Candlemakers Store) works well in helping smooth the tops and combating frosting issues. Most recommend 1 T pp, I use slightly less. Tempering or seeding the wax imo, makes for a beautiful candle. It leaves the wax smooth and creamy even after subsequent burns and greatly reduces the chance of frosting.

Many recommend pouring C3 around 165* for smooth tops, I pour around 120* when a slight skin appears...I get excellent adhesion (no wet spots) and rarely any frosting but with that, I usually do a repour or zapmtops with a heat gun. You pick your battles lol, and I would rather have no wet spots or frosting by pouring cooler and smoothing tops out myself than smooth tops with some frosting and wet spots.

CDNs (Southwest Candle Supply) work very well and I use them in jj's but in the larger jars I prefer the Premier 700 series...love the way this wick burns. CDNs are specially treated to resist the corrosive nature of soy waxes but CDs will work well too. Hth

• Like 1

I use C3 and love it. It, like any soy, has its quirks. USA (The Candlemakers Store) works well in helping smooth the tops and combating frosting issues. Most recommend 1 T pp, I use slightly less. Tempering or seeding the wax imo, makes for a beautiful candle. It leaves the wax smooth and creamy even after subsequent burns and greatly reduces the chance of frosting.

Many recommend pouring C3 around 165* for smooth tops, I pour around 120* when a slight skin appears...I get excellent adhesion (no wet spots) and rarely any frosting but with that, I usually do a repour or zapmtops with a heat gun. You pick your battles lol, and I would rather have no wet spots or frosting by pouring cooler and smoothing tops out myself than smooth tops with some frosting and wet spots.

CDNs (Southwest Candle Supply) work very well and I use them in jj's but in the larger jars I prefer the Premier 700 series...love the way this wick burns. CDNs are specially treated to resist the corrosive nature of soy waxes but CDs will work well too. Hth

I had completely forgotten about tempering the wax, since that's rarely mentioned her, so thanks for bringing that up. How do you temper wax, again? I forgot...I know you heat it and then let it cool, but can't remember how it's done.

There are some great threads about tempering (Stella) but basically you heat wax to 185* (with any additive you use but without color or fo), and hold for a few minutes, then cool down to at least slushy stage, heat back up to 185* add dye and proceed as normal. I usually heat my wax up at night, let it cool overnight, then reheat and continue in the morning to save time. One can also 'seed' the wax which I believe saves a little bit of time but I temper and its what Im used too.

• Like 1

I don't believe I will. I do not want to bother with another soy wax and don't want to bother with Aztec. I love my paraffins :-)

Big difference with pouring at slushy stage, can't stand all the wax left in pot though. The tops look no different to me at a higher temp then Yankee Candles ugly tops. Are you going to try the new IGI 6055 soy wax that Aztecs is carrying?
  • Like 1

There are some great threads about tempering (Stella) but basically you heat wax to 185* (with any additive you use but without color or fo), and hold for a few minutes, then cool down to at least slushy stage, heat back up to 185* add dye and proceed as normal. I usually heat my wax up at night, let it cool overnight, then reheat and continue in the morning to save time. One can also 'seed' the wax which I believe saves a little bit of time but I temper and its what Im used too.

Very, very intersting...Thank you!

HS I know you haven't wanted to try soy, but it is so much easier to wick then 4627. I love the way it burns, smells with bakery FOs. Since you can wick the beast(4627) soy would be a breeze. The other issues that come with soy I'm not concerned with at this point. If they start bothering me, I'll deal with them at that time.

Very, very intersting...Thank you!

Maybe try the USA? Have you seen the tops of YCs? I thought they were soy, & the one I bought had barely any HT.

I only used soy, and its perfect for me because 90% of the scents that super sell for me are bakery types! I love the "natural" sense with soy, and I do love the throw of the 415. Maybe ill just work upon improving it...

I don't think I have seen them, but I have heard other people talking about the poor throw in a Yankee candle. Going to check out the USA now!

I bought a 22 oz Yankme candle to compare, and it's Vanilla Cupcake, and just one of my little jelly jar candles in Peak's Birthday Cake is heck of stronger than that big Yankme.

Ugh! Decisions decisions!!

I have, in the past, mixed 415 with C3 and it was the best of both worlds! I am just getting back into candlemaking and that is what I intend to do, for those who like soy. I am looking for a better paraffin wax though.