Hello, Lots of Questions!! Newbie

Even with your experience making soy votive candles, if someone recommends the soy wax with that they consider to have the best HT, plus their favorite FOs, two months is still not enough time.

Right - if I told you what wax, FO, wick, pour temp, etc etc etc works best for me - doesn't mean it'll work the same for you...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mean to offend anyone

No one is offended, and the purpose of this forum is so we can swap secrets, recipes, and get advice, and you will find everyone has a different opinion, there is no general consensus of which wax/wick combo to use, which FO's have the best throw... what works for one may not work for another, hence the relentless testing... testing.... testing!! We didn't mean to offend you, but there is no way we can give you help you to accomplish something in 2 months that has taken us years.

Right - if I told you what wax, FO, wick, pour temp, etc etc etc works best for me - doesn't mean it'll work the same for you...

You ain't a woofin' on that :laugh2:

If you already make votives, then put together a bundle of votives with some cute votive holders to sell. You'd have half the battle done with already knowing how to make them.

You ain't a woofin' on that :laugh2:

If you already make votives, then put together a bundle of votives with some cute votive holders to sell. You'd have half the battle done with already knowing how to make them.

DITTO that a thousand times over- why risk a huge safety factor- especially for a family in need- to start something you never did - stick with the votives in the 1 scent you do know for this cause- make up cute baskets with your votives and holders along with your friends B & B products

We are just trying to help out a local family, and thank you for the idea on the votives. I will talk to my friend to see if we can change our plans etc. When reading reviews on Soy Wax's it was just so frustrating to read the almost exact review for every kind. Like the same person wrote them all. So we were looking for a good starter wax, one that might be user friendly for a new person, that we could test just that one kind, and not buy several different kinds, as we are donating them and not charging for anything. I understand what works for one may not work for another. I do appreciate everyone's views that is why I joined here and asked the questions.

I understand your frustration but nobody here can tell you what wax to start with....you have to read all the info and reviews and just pick one- everyone has different opinions on what is new user friendly and what's not

Soy has different properties- some are designed to look pretty- some are very ugly but have amazing throw - some have additives - some don't

When I decided on soy the wax I originally chose first after about 100lbs I decided it didn't work for me- and about 5 more types later I am happy where I am at - finally

Pick the one you are finding yourself going back to read about most and try it out- buy 10lbs of it and get a feel for it- see if you like what it does

We are just trying to help out a local family, and thank you for the idea on the votives. I will talk to my friend to see if we can change our plans etc. When reading reviews on Soy Wax's it was just so frustrating to read the almost exact review for every kind. Like the same person wrote them all. So we were looking for a good starter wax, one that might be user friendly for a new person, that we could test just that one kind, and not buy several different kinds, as we are donating them and not charging for anything. I understand what works for one may not work for another. I do appreciate everyone's views that is why I joined here and asked the questions.

I agree with Moonshine. That said, Peak's, who owns this forum, is an excellent supplier and here's their page of starter kits: http://www.peakcandle.com/category/Candle-Making-Kits.aspx

Hey! You have had some people kindly offer to help you through PM. I'd take them up on it! Of course people here are not openly going to share too many tips and secrets. They have businesses.

I am SUPER grateful (and would frankly be sitting here still searching and only reading and learning form past posts) had it not been for a couple of kind ladies who reached out through PM and helped me. One has gone above and beyond with tips, information and photos just in an effort to assist me. Do I now do everything as she? Nope. Did I try some stuff she suggested that did not work for me? You bet. Even if she sent me videos of her every step some things would not work how I wanted or needed. I am still beyond grateful for a place from which to start.

I am now helping as many others as I can just even with my limited experience. I do not make candles nor work with soy. If I did, I'd sure pay it forward to you!

Hey! You have had some people kindly offer to help you through PM. I'd take them up on it! Of course people here are not openly going to share too many tips and secrets. They have businesses.

I am SUPER grateful (and would frankly be sitting here still searching and only reading and learning form past posts) had it not been for a couple of kind ladies who reached out through PM and helped me. One has gone above and beyond with tips, information and photos just in an effort to assist me. Do I now do everything as she? Nope. Did I try some stuff she suggested that did not work for me? You bet. Even if she sent me videos of her every step some things would not work how I wanted or needed. I am still beyond grateful for a place from which to start.

I am now helping as many others as I can just even with my limited experience. I do not make candles nor work with soy. If I did, I'd sure pay it forward to you!

You're only making tarts right now, right?

You're only making tarts right now, right?

That is all I will make. Hubby and one dog cannot tolerate burning so melting will be it. Nice and simple. Get to avoid the math and science of wicks, melt pools, jar mouth size and the lot of it. I have been in Marketing and Advertising for a 4 billion corporation for 26 years but that whole candle thing is beyond something in which I wish to embark!

That is all I will make. Hubby and one dog cannot tolerate burning so melting will be it. Nice and simple. Get to avoid the math and science of wicks, melt pools, jar mouth size and the lot of it. I have been in Marketing and Advertising for a 4 billion corporation for 26 years but that whole candle thing is beyond something in which I wish to embark!

I think tarts are a great idea, and seem to be more popular than candles now anyway, or at least they are as popular.

Just a bit OT, but when you repeatedly post this, I have to wonder why.

I can't even make a list of all the people here who have helped me; the list would be too long. & I have had some give me their exact formulas. We are not the Candle Mob. Some of us only chime in after we feel comfortable enough to dish out advice..

Beth said exactly what I feel. I don't think anyone is keeping their secrets at all. (Well maybe a few as it should be) Some of us are not comfortable writing about our methods, because of fear of being attacked snidely again & again. Not so much anymore but if you read the older threads you'll see the blatant attacks.

icon1.pngsticky.gif Sticky: Soy and Soy blend Recommendations

icon1.pngsticky.gif Sticky: FO for soy

These are at the top of the vegetable forum. I love Candle Cocoons "Cranberry Compote", seems to throw in everything & is incredibly strong. It would be an easier FO to start testing with because it has such a strong throw. Also on sale today & tomorrow if you join her newsletter.

Edited by ChandlerWicks

Beth said exactly what I feel. I don't think anyone is keeping their secrets at all. (Well maybe a few as it should be) Some of us are not comfortable writing about our methods, because of fear of being attacked snidely again & again. Not so much anymore but if you read the older threads you'll see the blatant attacks.

Yep, I'll tell anyone anything, what I say and do may not be perfect but if we all share we can all improve our creations. Whatever we mention should be taken as a starting place for individual testing and not, necessarily, as fact written in stone.

Yep, I'll tell anyone anything, what I say and do may not be perfect but if we all share we can all improve our creations. Whatever we mention should be taken as a starting place for individual testing and not, necessarily, as fact written in stone.

I can vouch for that :)

Just a bit OT, but when you repeatedly post this, I have to wonder why.

I can't even make a list of all the people here who have helped me; the list would be too long. & I have had some give me their exact formulas. We are not the Candle Mob. Some of us only chime in after we feel comfortable enough to dish out advice..

I say it because many are operating businesses. I am a business person so I understand. Why would you all offer everything you know to everyone who just drops by here? It would not make business sense. Years ago, sales were not online nor were there opportunities for worldwide sales. Sales occurred at fairs and stores. Now anyone has the opportunity to be a customer and even those who make for themselves and do not buy from others should be viewed as competition of sorts.

Not begrudging anyone of that. At all. I think it is only fair/makes sense to just acknowledge that it is how it is. That is what I mean by "of course people are not going to share too much". No one who has worked years to learn something should feel obligated to spill it all to a new person like me who just strolls in.

I am grateful for one in particular who has corrected me, set me straight, suggested and shown. I am also grateful for all who have patiently answered me here, re-answered when I asked the question again and those who have given their time and shared their experience. I am.

I am just a hobbyist and I am having a blast. It can be tough for a new person starting out (you all know that!). We (okay I'll own this) can be annoying to people who really know what is what. Often I do not even know how to ask given I do not know that I do not know!

If you have dealt with Candle Science I would stick with them since they are closer than Peak. It appears that you already have the PB and wicking figured out. The receptionist will know what is trending as far as aromas goes so all you would have to test is the FO/wax/wick combo. If the FO doesn't work for votives it will usually work in a melt. I can tell you their Mistletoe is great for the fall & winter in votives and melts.

Here's a recent link that may help with FO selection: http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?104591-If-you-had-to-pick-one-Candle-Science-FO-for-testing&highlight=best+candle+science

You would be suprised at the impact $cent$y melters have had on the market. I'm sure packages of melts would sell and think that the votive holder with a variety of votives is the best alternative to making a container candle. In fact the variety may sell better than trying to sell a large jar of a single aroma. You could even make up packs of just the holiday aromas, too.

Sending you and the family you are helping my best wishes.

Edited by Judy, USMC

If I was in your position I would personally make a boat load of votives and move the heck out of them if you have mastered them.. Even if not votives you could do melts which you could feel comfortable about making a product that wouldnt have the chance of burning someones house down or injuring someone. You already have the ecosoya PB. We all want the best throw and the best looks etc but it comes down to the safest product in the long run. Safety should be the first thing you think about. When you SELL a product to someone you are liable and theres no excuse for something going wrong. You have to hope your insurance will cover you. For all the money you will spend in testing you could donate it to your cause and start your candle business slow and smart. I can personally tell you that it has cost me THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS to get a product I now KNOW is the best I can produce. We test daily and its time cunsuming especially if you make containers that can burn 50 hours! Thank god my wife and I work full time jobs to support our small business. Stick to what you know for the time being, donate what you can and CONTINUE to get better and better!!

Edited by Mountain Soy Candle

I guess I was one of the snarky ones in the beginning. I only recently began posting more, although I have "been" here for about 20 months. Back story is....... I was burned and burned bad in my former life.

Long ago, before my husband and I came "back to the land" I worked for a website and I gave personal, created by me, never been published MY recipes over for use for the woman I worked for (I edited the site, fact checked, wrote the newsletter, did step by step recipes with photos and created NEW recipes). The year we moved she published a cookbook based on the website and I was GOING to be the official editor of the book. This would open a very big door for me as a cookbook editor. Since my online name is the same here as it was back then I won't go into detail, she recently "found" me on a different web forum for cake.

Needless to say I lost the rights to MY recipes, she locked them up with her copy write and stole them from me. They are now locked behind a pay only website and who knows what she has done to them. When she gave me the info to "edit" the cookbook I had a 24 hour window to edit and test recipes!! Needless to say, someone else edited and I know for a fact that those recipes were never tested or edited properly before going to print.

Oh, she did use one of my old family recipes in the book, the ingredients were changed completely and it wasn't my recipe AT ALL, yet she put my name on that one. It was so messed up I'm not sure the recipe would even work. And there it is with my name on it.

<<<<deep sigh>>>>>

I was burned, and so yes, I'm not giving up my recipes for candles any more than I have EVER given anyone any of my baking recipes that I have created myself. Call me a B****, call me whatever, maybe I've gone a little over the bend watching all these candles burn, but it's been a long road.

Candle making is NOT easy.

I have never used this company, but randomly came accross this today and thought of this post. http://sunshinecontainer.com/ If you click on "Clear Cover White Votive Boxes" they have some cute "7 votives and a cup" type packaging solutions. Again, I've never used them, or this company so maybe someone else may be able to say if they're good or not - Just an idea.

HTH

~Joe