JanetsCandles

How bad is this going to end up? My recipe:

35% OO (Pomace)

35% Lard

10% Shea Butter

10% Castor Oil

10% Sunflower Oil (High Oleic)

Superfat@ 5%, full water

Today I unwrapped the soap to check on it, and I've got beads of (what I think is) glycerine on top. Yes, it's warm here, ditto on humid in the house because we use an evaporative cooler (swamp cooler) for the house instead of traditional A/C. The droplets aren't oily, or smelly. I am trying to double check to make sure I don't have a horrible mess on my hands. I can't pull it from the mold yet because it is still a little softer than I would like. I was able to wipe up the droplets from the top, none have reappeared yet, but Aack! *insert pulling hair out emoticon here*

I had something similar when I went a bit overboard on insulating a batch. The plastic wrap almost looked like it had condensation on it and was dripping back onto the top. I unwrapped it a bit and wiped the beads off the top. At the time, I thought the beads were a little zappy and was lye (it was my third ever batch). I ended up cutting the soap into small bars because I thought it was going to be lye heavy on the tops and sides. I've since learned to be patient and let the soap fully saponify, which may take longer than 24 hours (which you know as well :) ). What I'm trying to say is just wait until you can unmold and see how it looks once you cut it. Those little drops may absorb back into the soap. I've been fighting ash in my slab mold and want to use the same emoticon.

It's not your recipe.

If it's curing in a humid environment, then there's not much you can do about it. You can blot and wipe but it could easily recur.

Since the soap is brandy-new it might just be that it over-heated or was over-wrapped and wiping it could be enough, but as I said - in warm and humid it could probably come back.

Soap does not like warm and humid. Rancidity and DOS, however, do like those conditions.

It's not your recipe.

If it's curing in a humid environment, then there's not much you can do about it. You can blot and wipe but it could easily recur.

Since the soap is brandy-new it might just be that it over-heated or was over-wrapped and wiping it could be enough, but as I said - in warm and humid it could probably come back.

Soap does not like warm and humid. Rancidity and DOS, however, do like those conditions.

This is what I do. Even today I unwrapped 3 batches of soap that had "sweated" from the plastic lining wrap I used. I just use lots of paper towels to sop up the moisture. It will dry out in a few days. No problem. The worst is my coconut lime. Always comes out very wettish. After drying out with paper towels its dry after a week. Haven't had any DOS yet. I just assumed its sweat from the soap heating from my lining.

I had used a piece of wood for a lid this time, so no plastic wrap to trap the moisture. I took the sides off my mold last night, and I'm not sure yet if I'm seeing DOS or if the soap is browning up in a weird way because of the FO. The white is now a yellowish orange color. *facepalm* My pretty soap is turning not so pretty.

Hi dear today i read this topic and i want to say that glycerine and glycerin are the same thing. they are both either animal or vegetable fats.

Glycerine/glycerin/glycerol is not a fat itself. It is a polyalchohol. It can be part of an animal or vegetable fat. It forms the backbone for the triacylglycerols and is a product of the saponification reaction.

Glycerine/glycerin/glycerol is not a fat itself. It is a polyalchohol. It can be part of an animal or vegetable fat. It forms the backbone for the triacylglycerols and is a product of the saponification reaction.

That's what I thought. Glad to have confirmation of it.

And what does glycerine oozing out of the top of my soap as a biproduct of soap making have to do with being a vegetarian anyway?