Any suggestions for 464?

There have been a few threads recently about 464, you may want to look at those. Most who have tried 464 like it and find that it has decent HT and CT but not will all FO. It has good adhesion but can still develop wet spots over time and produces nice, smooth tops. It doesn't have to be pour at the slushy stage, I find 165F adequate. Sink hole can be a problem if cooling is too fast or uneven. The biggest issue with 464 is frosting. This bothers some people (like me) and other are ok with it. Post burn cosmetics can be poor but, again, just a general soy wax issue. I don't think you will find much difference between 444 and 464 to be honest. I've used 415, 444, and 464.

I've found the same with 444, I wasn't really disappointed with it, but it didn't have me jumping for joy either, so I thought I'd shop around a bit!! Every candle I've poured has had wet spots, which drives me nuts, and I always have to heat gun the tops, which doesn't bother me, but if I can avoid it that would be great! Thanks for the input!

I agree with most everything that rjdaines said but I have to pour at 100F to get smooth tops. If I pour hotter I have rough tips and air bubbles. I still have frosting but I do not color so no biggie. As of now I am happy with this wax and continue to use it for now.

I gave 464 the good old college try for about a year. I could not get over the funky texture the melts and candles evolved to over time. I have some testers in both forms that look and feel almost crumbly - not something I wanted my customers to see if they held on to their candles over several seasons waiting for candle burning weather.

Am I the only one 464 morphs on?

I gave 464 the good old college try for about a year. I could not get over the funky texture the melts and candles evolved to over time. I have some testers in both forms that look and feel almost crumbly - not something I wanted my customers to see if they held on to their candles over several seasons waiting for candle burning weather.

No, not at all. I have candles and melts from last season too and they have that crumbly texture to them too. I even have some candles I made this past spring that are half way there. The scent is still amazing though. They are kept in a cool dry area and it still happens. I thought that was just part of what you had to deal with when you work with 464.

No, not at all. I have candles and melts from last season too and they have that crumbly texture to them too. I even have some candles I made this past spring that are half way there. The scent is still amazing though. They are kept in a cool dry area and it still happens. I thought that was just part of what you had to deal with when you work with 464.

Geez. Glad I'm not alone, but sad that others get the crumbliness too. You're a more patient person than I, Jack. I had to switch.

Does he morphed texture seem to impact your sales as customers look for smooth, 'fresh' candles?

That's exactly why I switched my melts first from 464/PB blend to 135/PB blend....they looked HORRIBLE after sitting several months- chalk white and crumbly!

Then I switched my candles to 415...the 464 burned and smelled good but they too turned chalk white which was not so bad as I don't color but after reading throw reviews I switched and LOVE it!

I also started doing my melts with 415/PB and they were really good but didn't seem to last as long (super strong throw but short lived) so I am now still testing Suzy's blend of Xcel/PB and I am very pleased! I can't say I'm convinced they throw as strong but they do last way longer

Geez. Glad I'm not alone, but sad that others get the crumbliness too. You're a more patient person than I, Jack. I had to switch.

Does he morphed texture seem to impact your sales as customers look for smooth, 'fresh' candles?

By now the entire candle has morphed and since I don't color it doesn't look that bad. The scent is still super strong and I have tested them at this stage and they still burn fine. I've never had anyone at shows say anything about them but they are mainly fresher ones that I've made within the month. My partner is more of the buisness side and I get him to look at those morphed candles and melts and ask him if they look weird without telling him what he's looking for. He says they look good to him. 464 does have its problems but I just dread going backwards with testing now. So for now this is my wax.

So what are the alternatives to 464? There must be a few out there that people like and have minimal problems.

C3?

EZSoy?

Xcel?

This board would be an excellent place to come to some consensus as to which is the better soy wax and develop a workable recipe that we all could use as a starting point.

• 4 weeks later...