Festival pricing

I sell my candles on consignment in shops for $8.99. I normally sell them for $8.00 at the couple craft shows I do each year. I will be at a 2 day large festival in August in my home town. I know there will be 1 or 2 other soy candle people there as there always is. My candle is the 9oz Fillmore straight sided jar and I do not color them. The phrase "dye free" is what customers I the shops are asking for. The festival is a totally different group of buyers. The other candle people will have jelly jars and price at $5.00 or $6.00 with a possible discount on quantity. What should I price my candles at to compete? Should I still ask my normal price of $8 or should I lower the price? Currently my cost per candle is $3.25.

:undecided

I don't generally change my per unit price at any given fair or festival. I will often offer show specials or a particular scent or multi purchase offers, gifts with purchase, etc. instead depending on the crowd.

It costs me less to give a small free gift than to reduce actual $ from a price point.

Why sell yourself short? You have no idea what their quality is. I wouldn't lower my price to match theirs. If you feel that you need to reduce your candles, do $2 for $16 or 4 for $30. Or...put together a gift basket of products and offer a ticket for each purchase of $15 or more.

I use the same jars and charge $8 per candle too. I also do a 2 for or 3 for special to encourage bigger sales. I don't worry about the cheap jelly jars the other candle makers sell at the same craft shows. I know the value of my candles and price accordingly. My customers don't fuss over the price and many go for the 2 for or 3 for specials to save. That way they can buy more scents and get the discount.

BTW-- my 9oz salsa jars retail for $10-$11.

Thank you everyone. I know the quality of the jelly jars is not up to my standards. Drives me nuts every year walking by them at the festival. I am always getting compliments on how strong my scents are and how I have unique choices over other candles. I am just a little nervous because when I did a few markets in June I only sold $40-45 each time and that has never happened. There was one jelly jar person at the other end of the market who sold cheaper. I do not know how much she sells; but I know she is there every week for the past few years, so I am assuming she sells more than $40. Plus I just spent $500 replenishing stock for this 2 day festival.

Thank you everyone. I know the quality of the jelly jars is not up to my standards. Drives me nuts every year walking by them at the festival. I am always getting compliments on how strong my scents are and how I have unique choices over other candles. I am just a little nervous because when I did a few markets in June I only sold $40-45 each time and that has never happened. There was one jelly jar person at the other end of the market who sold cheaper. I do not know how much she sells; but I know she is there every week for the past few years, so I am assuming she sells more than $40. Plus I just spent $500 replenishing stock for this 2 day festival.

I wouldn't assume anything. Price and market your wares appropriately and don't even worry about the others.

I don't understand how these people can sell for 5 or 6 dollars- regardless of the fact they use jelly jars- I see them everywhere at craft shows to

I use the square mason and 415 with various quality oils and the rustic lid with Kraft round labels on top and cannot sell any cheaper than 8 wholesale- 10 at least for retail

We have a company every year at our festival that uses the same jar but crap looking labels and they sell those for 8 or 2 for 15 and I would go in the hole doing that- they must be using a super cheap soy wax and oils- and when I burn theirs they are horrible- mushrooms- soot and weak throw

My first show is coming up and I am sticking to the price I have to get to profit- and I will explain to people if they ask the difference in quality ingredients and if all they want is cheap then go to the cheap booth- you get what you pay for!

And if selling is a flop for me....I will have many candles to myself! LOL

@moonshadow - it's mind boggling to see how many people have no clue what their real costs are so they can accurately price a product. I have a sneaking suspicion that those who severely under price have a secondary source of income to off-set the true losses. Basically hobbyists out to recoup a little $ to buy more materials occasionally rather than trying to build a self-supporting business. Very few have the volume of turnover to make the low per unit profits to remain sustainable.