Clamshell Molds re plastic smell

Holly

I remember a long time ago being very careful to get the molds that did not cause a plastic smell in the wax if they were sitting on a shelf for awhile. I don't want to name the place that I remember finding out that they caused the smell in case I am remembering wrong.

I have been getting my clamshell molds from ICS. I have never noticed a problem when I was in the biz before. When I got back into the biz not long ago, I had to order more. I noticed that they appeared different. They plastic appears thinner...not as sturdy. I am worried that they may have changed manufacturers and could be the kind that will cause a plastic smell. This is a very big turnoff to customers. I read about this all the time on review boards.

For those of you who have ordered clamshell molds from ICS within that last several months have you noticed a problem at all? I am not sure when they changed. I closed my biz in March of 2010 and reopened in March of 2012. They changed sometime during the two years. I have not been back in the biz long enough yet to know if there is a problem with these.

Do any of you know of a supplier that offers the ones that do not cause the plastic smell? I can't remember the name of that one place that offers all types, but they have a big min. order.

Thank you!

Edited by Holly

I haven't tried them yet but my next order is going to be from impact. They do require a rather large order but maybe someone would be interested in co-oping with you.

Thank you. I will look into them. Do you have a current supplier now? I sure hope the ones that I am getting now from ICS are just as good as what they had before. The material definitely seems different thought. Only time will tell though.

Indiana candle supply?? I placed a small order to test them out as I have never used clams before and I have had no plastic smell at all - this was a month ago but then I ordered the impacts on a co-cop here thru blissStreet

Maybe they are thinner from before but I did not smell plastic at all and I poured my soy at 140

Indiana candle supply?? I placed a small order to test them out as I have never used clams before and I have had no plastic smell at all - this was a month ago but then I ordered the impacts on a co-cop here thru blissStreet

Maybe they are thinner from before but I did not smell plastic at all and I poured my soy at 140

Thanks, Moonshine. :) I did mean Indiana Candle Supply. As far as I know, the plastic smell does not happen right away. It happens when the poured clamshell sits awhile. I am not sure if I have any sitting around in the newest batch of clamshells. The ones I made so far with them, have been sold. I will check. I have three from a previous order.....3 left over but not sure if it is the old batch or new. They were poured about 3 weeks ago. They offer the best pricing for small amounts and the shipping is good too and fast. I do hope that they are still as good as what they used to have.

Moonshine: How do you like the molds from impact? In your opinion how do they compare to others you have tried?

I know a lot of people love eclamshell molds but I am very disappointed in their quality. Maybe I got a bad batch but they are definitely thinner and much flimsier than the ones I have gotten in the past from ah/re and candles and supplies. Half of them close so tight that I end up bending the crap out of the mold when trying to reopen them and I have sliced my fingers a couple times on the sharp edges when trying to get them out of the box because they are packed so tightly. I should say though that they are half the price of what I have gotten in the past so maybe I shouldn't expect so much or be so picky???

Holly-

I haven't got my impacts yet- they are due in to the hostess on Monday so I cant compare as of yet

The clams I got from Indiana candle supply was the first time I ever used a clamshell- and man are they easier than individual molds- I just hope they sell around here! They are packed very tight but I did not have problem with opening and closing them when they were cured and had no tears or anything- I just sniffed the last one I have left (I only ordered 10 to try) and they have been poured for about 3 to 4 weeks and no hints of plastic smell so far

I will let you know when the impacts come what I see as far as differences- I saved all my others from ICS as I was Just making and testing for myself

Moonshine: How do you like the molds from impact? In your opinion how do they compare to others you have tried?

I know a lot of people love eclamshell molds but I am very disappointed in their quality. Maybe I got a bad batch but they are definitely thinner and much flimsier than the ones I have gotten in the past from ah/re and candles and supplies. Half of them close so tight that I end up bending the crap out of the mold when trying to reopen them and I have sliced my fingers a couple times on the sharp edges when trying to get them out of the box because they are packed so tightly. I should say though that they are half the price of what I have gotten in the past so maybe I shouldn't expect so much or be so picky???

Glowworm, This is exactly what I am experiencing with the ones from ICS now. Maybe the manufacturer where some of the candle supply places are getting them from have changed the grade. Maybe it is thinner to cut cost. ?? I too notice that they are harder to open and thinner and you can push the plastic in from the bottom. I have trouble taking them apart too....from the stack in packing. As long as they do not leave a plastic smell as the poured clamshell sits, I may be able to handle the other negatives.

Holly-

I haven't got my impacts yet- they are due in to the hostess on Monday so I cant compare as of yet

The clams I got from Indiana candle supply was the first time I ever used a clamshell- and man are they easier than individual molds- I just hope they sell around here! They are packed very tight but I did not have problem with opening and closing them when they were cured and had no tears or anything- I just sniffed the last one I have left (I only ordered 10 to try) and they have been poured for about 3 to 4 weeks and no hints of plastic smell so far

I will let you know when the impacts come what I see as far as differences- I saved all my others from ICS as I was Just making and testing for myself

Thanks. :) They definitely are packed tighter than the ones before but most likely more noticeable now because they are more pliable and grab easier I guess.....don't slide away as easy. I look forward to seeing how they compare with Impact.

Holly-

This was supposed to be to gloom too- sorry gloworm

• 2 weeks later...

The difference in eclamshells and impact is incredible. They call them the same item# but eclam is thin and hard to open/close. Thank God I only got one box. I am opening and leaving them out for a few days and then pouring only spicy things in them so they overcome any plastic scent.

We are nearly finished on the co-op on the Impact clamshells. I counted out each and every clamshell I shipped to ensure quality; I was impressed to have less than a dozen that were slightly imperfect in the entire batch...and by imperfect I mean they had a little kink mark in the top closure part that causes no mechanical failure, but...well...it wasn't pristine. So those are on my desk waiting for fall test scents to ship to my crew.

Does anyone know if the e-clamshells have a little circle indent on the bottom of each cube? I have some like this and they are crap..very thin, and hard to close. If this is e-clamshell I know I don't want any more.

Does anyone know if the e-clamshells have a little circle indent on the bottom of each cube? I have some like this and they are crap..very thin, and hard to close. If this is e-clamshell I know I don't want any more.

I got one box from eclamshell and that's exactly what mine are like. I am finding only about 1 out of 3 are acceptable, and I am using the word "acceptable" very loosely. :(

I will have to look at the lastest batch that I have from ICS to see if it has the little circle indent on the bottom of each cube. I think they do. For those that have used the e-clamshells, did you experience the plastic smell? I sure hope I will not run into this problem. I only ordered 100 but would hate for them to be a waste and have to buy another kind right away. Thanks for the update.

Edited by Holly

I used to get mine from ICS, until they switched to the thinner clamshells with the slight indent in the bottom. I then ordered a large batch from Impact and actually called them up to ask them about the clamshells. They said they sell two types, one made in China (the thin ones) and ones made in the US. I made sure to order the made in the US ones. The 1524 C is the thin ones and the 1524s are the nicer ones IMO. I hated the thin ones myself. Hope that might help some :) CandleScience has nice clamshells also...

Just got a sample today from e-clam it says it is a 1524, they actually sent 2 of the same ones: they do NOT have the circle indent in each cube, feels thicker than the circle indent ones..but they were hard to separate and hard to close. I'm thinking they are a step above the impacts 1524C but still not as good as impacts regular 1524. I THINK the circle indent ones are probly the 1524C. Haven't poured in em yet so don't know about the plastic smell. HTH

I FINALLY finished the e-clam box and am thankful I only got one. I ended up pouring only spicy scents into them and things that I knew I would sell faster so the plastic smell wouldn't be an issue. They were all stuck together tightly, very thin and hard to open and close. I will never stray from Impact again :-)