Why sink holes using c3???

I am using c3 wax, 7-8% FO, tempered the wax, heated to 185, poured at 160, cooled on racks and covered with box. Also tapped jars to release bubbles and poured slowly. What more can I do???? Help!!!!

Tammy

Did you try cooling without covering them with a box. I've used C3 for years and never cover them to cool. The only time I have trouble with sinkholes is in January and February when my workshop is pretty cool. Do you have your air conditioner set low? You might try cooling them in an un-airconditioned room.

I also use C3...I choose to pour much cooler (never a wet spot, no frosting) but with that I almost always have minor sink holes. Adding USA can help alot with smooth tops, as for me, I do repours. I dont like to use a heat gun unless its over something very minor but the repours give me perfect tops.

Sounds like they're cooling much too quickly. Even with a box, I found that I'd get air pockets galore when they were poured at 160 and set beneath a box to cool. Plus that really limited production potential.

I found a lot of success by pouring much cooler. Tops look perfect every time so that's a nice bonus. This method too limits production potential... though I don't ever worry about air pockets.

When I used to make straight soy candles I hated waiting to pour cool, so always poured at 155-160. I also poked the set up candles to open up any air pockets and used the heat gun to fill them in. I got my smooth tops with no problems, but got more candles done in less time! There is always more than one way to get a good end result.......you just need to experiment. :cool2:

Believe me Chris, I don't love waiting for wax to cool. I went through the poking holes, heat gunning, wiggling the wicks to release any bubbles, second pours to fix the inevitable wreck I would make, etc and it took just as much time in the end. I don't think the air bubbles are rising, it is more likely in my case that the rapidly cooling wax is sucking air down the wick as it retracts beneath a skin of cooled solidifying surface wax. The work area I have is more suitable for penguins than candle making for 6+ months of the year.

I'm going to try pouring hotter again now that the weather is holding at much warmer temps. I just hate the thought of any air pockets potentially hiding beneath the surface. :undecided