Facebook Bullying

One of my customer started a Facebook bullying campaign against me. This young girl bought a $6.99 small body cream in my Etsy Store and requested FREE samples which I don't mind sending now I am Cruella Deville! Because I forgot to send her samples and her cream melted along the way...never mind my terms and policies where I state that I will not be responsible for packages once they leave my location...just leave your order to cook in a hot mailbox all day and blame me for it, leave me an insulting negative feedback and call me dishonest, call me rude because try to defend myself and then bash me on Facebook after I gave you a full refund.

Is all this work really worth it?

I don't know much about Facebook- hardly go one even though I have one but can you report her to the Facebook mods?

My website is being built and has a Facebook link and I am not so sure I want it- 1 stupid crazy person can do a lot of damage!

This has been the hardest part of being a small business owner for me, I always take it to heart when something happens.

The problem here is that you are not the kind of person that she is so it makes it even more difficult to understand how or why someone would be so cruel. People feel so empowered behind their computers and don't realize the devastating effects that it can have. She is not bashing on a large department store that could care less, she is bashing on a person who hand makes their products, bad on her for being so childish.

Unfortunately some customers are so wrapped up in themselves they fail to realize this is how we feed our families. It is IMPOSSIBLE to never have something like this happen, especially with all the people who milk the system and are always looking for freebies and refunds.

Chin up and MOVE on!

This is a young girl who knows what really happened to her cream. A lot of these young girls want free stuff all the time...I get so many e-mails from young girls requesting free products so they can do a review on me...I am sure your 3 1/2 followers are going to spend lots of money in my store, plus with all these web sites out there telling people how to get FREE stuff...nightmare!

Sorry this happened to you and as the others said, it simply just happens no matter what you do at some point... As for the bullying on Facebook thing, you might be able to report this person and let the FB police (if there are any) deal with it, OR be the better person. Stay calm, explain what you did to correct the situation and be the amazing, polite person that you are.... While yes, negative reviews/feedback are not a good thing, you can sure turn them into it tho! Show the others your great customer service, willingness to make it right and in the long run, that little girl will fade away... =)

HTH and best of luck to you!

On YouTube and Facebook, bullying and cyberstalking are very common. A lot of people are so used to the viciousness and brutality it doesn't phase them at all and they think nothing of treating others that way. I would post a rebuttal and explain your side and then just ignore her. You can also block her, but then you won't be able to read what she posts about you and it might infuriate her even more.

You just have to ignore it. People like that are not only out for blood but they live for your response. If you post a response defending yourself and "make it right" you open a new can of worms. Everyone in the same circle will have an issue all of the sudden, and they'll all expect you to refund them or replace things at your expense knowing if they write a bad review = free. Draw your lines, stick to your policy and ignore the rejects that want to stir the pot and crusade to ruin your business. People get it and don't take them seriously. Remember you give them power when you fear cyberbully extortion. Who cares what they have to say.

I despise Facebook and I think it does more harm than good for the small business. I refuse to have a facebook page and the allot of the candle and B&B vendors are worse than the actual customers. It's cut throat and I do just fine without the BS or fake customer reviews by envious competitors trying to make a buck at your expense.

I'm sorry this is happening to you, I know it's sickening, and I've been there.

I agree with you Funky I don't need a Facebook page and Etsy is no better, they are charging me an arm and a leg every month but will not address any issues I might have. People just don't read my policies and then it is my fault because I did exactly what my policies said I would do!

I am re opening my website and Etsy can kiss my money goodbye!

Today I got another reminder of "how nice" people are...a while ago I placed an order at Overstock and since I had not received it I decided to track it...instead of writting 11 Overstock wrote 1 for the house number so the people who live at #1 on my street have had my package for over a week, who cares about the packing slip with my name, address and phone number. I hope that thing explodes in there face and on top of it all it is a Marines family! We live in a world were you cannot trust anyone.

I have to wonder about the wisdom of selling something that doesn't hold up well to shipping without a screaming warning - like Lush does.

I'm pretty sure customers assume we've done due diligence and would only ship stuff that can handle it. For example I don't ship solid lotions in the warmer months or whipped butters except in cold weather.

And while it doesn't sound like her fault, if you refunded the product and shipping then she should let it go.

I agree CareBear I do not sell solid lotions in the summer because I know that they will melt. I have shipped 500 orders so far this year and only had this item melt...this is a base and you have to heat to 120º F for it to turn liquid so I guess if you leave it anything long enough in a hot mail box it will melt.

Where you live it's not unheard of for temps to top 100, so it's hard to believe trucks don't regularly top 120. But like I said, a full refund including the shipping should be enough for anyone.

I've put in my years in consumer product development from a variety of perspectives and know that ensuring products can hold up to shipping is one of the very important things to consider! And despite the "once it leaves my hands it's not my problem" thing, it really is the manufacturer's responsibility - not the consumer's.

Where you live it's not unheard of for temps to top 100, so it's hard to believe trucks don't regularly top 120. But like I said, a full refund including the shipping should be enough for anyone.

I've put in my years in consumer product development from a variety of perspectives and know that ensuring products can hold up to shipping is one of the very important things to consider! And despite the "once it leaves my hands it's not my problem" thing, it really is the manufacturer's responsibility - not the consumer's.

I'm planning to order candles from "Candles by Victoria" in Texas because she says she's never had any melt during shipping in the summer because they're very well insulated, and I want to see how she does it. I watched a video of her husband, "Candleman," packing the candles to ship, and all he did was roll them up in a square of bubble wrap, tape them all around, and lay them in a box full of packing peanuts. I don't see how that can insulate them well enough to prevent melting, but maybe he wasn't packing for the hottest summer months. I'll order from her in July/August and see how she insulates them.

Also, some shipping suppliers carry those cool packs you freeze and then insert with your products to prevent melting. I'm interested in those.

One of my hobbies is tropical fish, I have shipped and received them live via priority mail even during the summer months. If you are shipping something that has a very low melt point you may want to approach it like you're shipping something alive.

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/1121/Gel-Ice-Packs

These are less than a buck apiece. Line your box with with a little extruded sheet styrofoam (very cheap at the hardware store) and add an ice pack. It'll keep the temp comfortable for 3-5 days depending on the packing job. The added cost of styrofoam and the ice pack will probably add $2-3 bucks to a package, but that is something that can be passed along as a handling charge. You might even win some loyalty if you explain to your customers the reason, and you'd only need it during part of the year.