hot throw on single vs. double wicked candle.

Hello, I need opinions.

I make a 16 oz candle, 444 wax, double-wicked in a 4 inch diameter glass jar. Scent throw is great.

I recently started making a 8 oz candle, single wicked, 444 wax, 3 inch diameter glass jar. Same scents, same percent of FO, same wick (except different size) etc, no hangup, good meltpool, etc.

I am thinking that I get more scent throw with double wicked (maybe since meltpool width is 4 inches vs. 3), but single wick seems decent too.

In your personal opinion, do double-wicked candles give more scent throw than single wicked candles? Thanks!

So with my new 8 oz containers, I have a 3 inch diameter melt pool (achieved after 3 hrs). The depth after 3-4 hrs is 3/8 inch deep. Does this sound alright? I'm just not used to single wicking. I've always double wicked because of the large (wide) containers I've used. (My containers look like yours in your avatar, rjdaines. I should add that with double wicking a 4 inch diameter apothecar jar, the melt pool after a few hours is just over 1/2 inch deep. A little deep, I think; but if I wick down then the melt pool doesn't reach the sides and I get hangup. Double wicking is a bit of a challenge.

Edited by JI

I have found that double wicked candles do give a better scent throw. However, there are duddy double wicked candles. If the combination is good, I definitely find double wicked candles stronger. When I had my company before my main line were double wicked candles. Companies that I have bought from and sold for that had single wicked candles never seemed as strong as double wicked candles (like from GC). I did have limited addition single wicked candles that did well too. I found it depends on the single wicked jar and find that the narrower single wicked jars are stronger than the wider single wicked jars. I have found that it is not just the meltpool that does the trick but also the heat. Double wicked candles meltpool get hotter, I believe. My tealights gave off a great scent throw and they are small, but of course one great throwing tealight was still not quite as good as one great throwing double wicked candle because of the size of the meltpool. I also found that that narrower status jars (smaller ones) gave a better scent throw than the larger ones. In addition, if I remember correctly, I noticed that the single wicked jars with necks gave off a better scent throw than jars without necks and to me that is because the heat gets trapped more and the wax gets hotter...a better temp to throw the scent. Kinda like warmers....some warmers are not as hot which the wax melt will not throw as well as the warmers that have a higher wattage or a better type of dish that gets hotter. These are just my findings. It can be different for everyone...depending on many variables, jar, wick, wax, fragrance, etc. What will be a great throw to one may not be to another.

I suppose that you can double wick any sized contained, given the proper wicks but if you can achieve the same thing with a single wick I see no reason to use two. Some people don't like the look of 2 wicks and it adds to the overall cost of the candle. The 4" apoth jar is probably similar to mine and I double wick that. If I am using 464 or 444 I wick with 2 CD-5 wicks. If yours is developing a MP to deep of to quickly and you can't drop down a size, you may need to try another type of wick that is less hot. I could never get a good single wick burn with the 4".

Edited by rjdaines

I have found that double wicked candles do give a better scent throw. However, there are duddy double wicked candles. If the combination is good, I definitely find double wicked candles stronger. When I had my company before my main line were double wicked candles. Companies that I have bought from and sold for that had single wicked candles never seemed as strong as double wicked candles (like from GC). I did have limited addition single wicked candles that did well too. I found it depends on the single wicked jar and find that the narrower single wicked jars are stronger than the wider single wicked jars. I have found that it is not just the meltpool that does the trick but also the heat. Double wicked candles meltpool get hotter, I believe. My tealights gave off a great scent throw and they are small, but of course one great throwing tealight was still not quite as good as one great throwing double wicked candle because of the size of the meltpool. I also found that that narrower status jars (smaller ones) gave a better scent throw than the larger ones. In addition, if I remember correctly, I noticed that the single wicked jars with necks gave off a better scent throw than jars without necks and to me that is because the heat gets trapped more and the wax gets hotter...a better temp to throw the scent. Kinda like warmers....some warmers are not as hot which the wax melt will not throw as well as the warmers that have a higher wattage or a better type of dish that gets hotter. These are just my findings. It can be different for everyone...depending on many variables, jar, wick, wax, fragrance, etc. What will be a great throw to one may not be to another.

Yes, like a said originally the wick is just the agent of heating the wax and container. The downside of double wicks is managing all that heat and making sure that the container doesn't get too hot. But, it is true that the hotter the MP the more FO is driven off, there are just practical limits. I also agree that the container shape and material plays a role in absorbing that heat. Trying to space two wicks in a 3 inch container sounds like a challenge, having the flame hitting the glass sounds dangerous so that should be avoided. I'd look for a wick with a low flame height if I wanted to try that.

Yes, like a said originally the wick is just the agent of heating the wax and container. The downside of double wicks is managing all that heat and making sure that the container doesn't get too hot. But, it is true that the hotter the MP the more FO is driven off, there are just practical limits. I also agree that the container shape and material plays a role in absorbing that heat. Trying to space two wicks in a 3 inch container sounds like a challenge, having the flame hitting the glass sounds dangerous so that should be avoided. I'd look for a wick with a low flame height if I wanted to try that.

I agree. You have to be careful with the wicking. You don't want 1 overly big flame and you certainly do not want two overly big flame. I have also found that if the flames are too big whether in a single wicked candle or a double wicked, it can decrease the scent throw. Many on here have discussed this as well and we believe that it can burn the fragrance off as it is escaping the jar....way too hot. It is a fine line. I never did double wick 3 inch containers. I know some companies that do with some success but I have found with GC the flames get too weak. This is probably because if they wicked up the flames would get too big for the jar so they wicked down. This leads to a duddy weak flamed candle. I have burned a few that stayed ok through the burn but many had issues. I have also had a lot of trouble double wicking the taller apothecary jars with many waxes. I would get weak flames halfway down. GC (Gold Canyon) has a lot of trouble with this as well. It is a pet peeve of mine! A nice low flame for double wicking is fine but ones that are on the verge of drowning out or do drown out is a no no for me.

I had the most success with pure soys and the great success with the soy I used for double wicking...never got weak flames halfway down unless I did not wick it right or there was a fluke wick. I find it much easier to double wick wide open jars (double or triple wick)...the Libbey jars like Bath and Body Works. I believe this is because there is no neck and it does not lack oxygen for double wicks like the necked apothecaries. Really weird how one wax will work with double wicking in the taller apothecaries and others will not, at least for me anyway. I use between 8-9 percent oil and maybe those that used 6% or less have better luck. Not sure. I have tried all kinds of wicks. I do not have this issue with single wicked candles. I did have on wax that must have had a variation in a batch and I got weak flames in all my single applications...these were soy/paraffin blends. It was a big headache.

Thanks for all your feedback. I will continue to double wick my 4 inch diameter jars and single-wick my 3 inch diameter jar. The single wick works well; I just wondered if I am imagining that the scent throw (while good) is not quite as strong. I cannot imagine double wicking a 3 inch jar; it would be too much in my case.

The reason why I started making 8 oz jars is occasionally people would ask for a smaller one. I mainly sell the 16 oz apothecary jar. I'm curious how the 8 oz single wick will sell. Which one sells better for you?

Thanks for all your feedback. I will continue to double wick my 4 inch diameter jars and single-wick my 3 inch diameter jar. The single wick works well; I just wondered if I am imagining that the scent throw (while good) is not quite as strong. I cannot imagine double wicking a 3 inch jar; it would be too much in my case.

The reason why I started making 8 oz jars is occasionally people would ask for a smaller one. I mainly sell the 16 oz apothecary jar. I'm curious how the 8 oz single wick will sell. Which one sells better for you?

Chances are your single wicked candle is not as strong as your double wicked candle. I find that single wicked candles do better in smaller areas, so if you put it in a smaller area you may then find it as strong and maybe even stronger than your double wicked candle in a very large area. I have never double wicked a 3 inch jar (tried a little bit) but do know companies that do. They either get too hot or have terribly weak flames. I have burned a few that were wicked well. I felt more comfortable keeping it single wicked. I would never attempt to double wick a 3 inch jar with a neck...could get way too hot.

I can't really tell you which jars would have sold better for me, if I had equal scents for both types. I prefer double wicked candles as a customer for main areas. My main signature collection (main line of fragrances) was my double wicked candles and they obviously sold better. For my single wicked candles, I mainly had limited additions for the Holidays. I did have a spa line (Madison jar) that did pretty well but only had a small line of fragrances for (spa fragrances). That was a newer line not long before I closed. I also had a few 6 oz. jars for sale all the time but I did not have a huge line of fragrances with that jar. My 6 oz. jars were perfect for bedrooms and bathrooms and I focused mainly on types of fragrances for those areas. I did have a few fall and winter fragrances as well. They were an Anchor hocking jar but can't remember the name of it....was a curvy jar....rounder at the main part, narrower at the neck and than a little wider at the top than the neck. Not a vase jar.

Since I have reopened I am developing an new double or triple wicked line.....wide Libby jar like Bath and Body Works. I am not going with pure soy this time....too time-consuming. I will be using a soy/paraffin blend. I will also have some single wicked jars. For now, just melts, Aroma Oils and Room Sprays. I am keeping it real simple for now. I gotta get a job so I do not want to stress.

Edited by Holly

I agree 100%.