what are the best oils to use in soaps?

Loolee

Honestly, there are so many oils to choose from I don't know where to start!

I"m really wanting a creamy yet mild soap. I really don't get all that dirty...

In my first batch, I used coconut oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, sweet almond oil, lard and canola. I think the ratios were about 30% coconut oil and lard and then about 10% for all the rest.

I always advise to start simple, then add on once you get a feel for what you like. THe "trinity" of soaping oils never fails: palm, coconut and olive. A simple place to start is 50% Olive, 25% Palm and 25% coconut. Adding too many oils really dilutes what each may contribute to the final soap. Often there's redundancy between the oils which increases your raw materials inventory with very little gain.

If you haven't already, visit Miller Soap for some ideas.

I always advise to start simple, then add on once you get a feel for what you like. THe "trinity" of soaping oils never fails: palm, coconut and olive. A simple place to start is 50% Olive, 25% Palm and 25% coconut. Adding too many oils really dilutes what each may contribute to the final soap. Often there's redundancy between the oils which increases your raw materials inventory with very little gain.

If you haven't already, visit Miller Soap for some ideas.

I agree. Miller soap site is a good resource.

I have to agree. Millers soap was a starting off point for me and taught me a lot. I also think starting with a simple basic recipe is best. It allows you to get to know the process and how your oils work. Once you get the basics then start trying different oils or butters that you are interested in and see how they make a difference. My fav soap is still my basic soap recipe using 45% olive oil, 25% coconut oil, 25% lard, and 5% castor. It makes a simple, mild, creamy, sudsy, soap.