Kinda scary

Okay, so I need to vent about this, and who better than you guys! I've joined a lot of local Facebook groups lately to help myself sell candles. There are a few other candle makers on these sites. A new one popped up today. They've got pictures of candles that look to be poured in just random old jars they had lying around. They also state that they'll make a candle in any scent you ask for.

I'm by no means perfect, and haven't really been at this long enough to consider myself very knowledgeable, but from what I can see, there is a very, very, very slim chance that those candles have been tested, and I would be so afraid of the safety of them! I'm in half my mind to just ask her what size wick she uses... It's terrible, but I worry for her customers! What if she sells them to some elderly woman and the jar shatters!

Would you say something? And how would you go about it? I feel weird, being as I am trying to sell my candles, and I don't want future customers thinking that I'm just belittling her product to make mine look better. I know I should probably just leave it alone... I remember how I felt when I first started (which was just last year). I thought it was easy. Just mix and pour. Voilà ! You've got a candle. Now I know better, and know that it takes time and money to test. I certainly would not use random old jars to sell! Okay, time to get off my soapbox. :lipsrseal

Would I say something? No, its none of my business. My business is to make MY candles safe, scented and attractive to my customers. Oh, I know some people will say I should think of her customers, etc. But I can't save the world and I really truly do not think that anything that I would say would make her change. She will have to learn the hard way by having her customers complain and then not re-purchase from her. Plus, you don't know for sure what her methods are. I do not believe that you would come across as helpful. There are lots of candle makers (including some on this board) who recycle jars and some people believe that it is safe and some don't. There are also lots of candle makers that sell improperly wicked candles (including some pretty big names). I'm sure some will disagree with me but that is just my opinion.

Would I say something? No, its none of my business. My business is to make MY candles safe, scented and attractive to my customers. Oh, I know some people will say I should think of her customers, etc. But I can't save the world and I really truly do not think that anything that I would say would make her change. She will have to learn the hard way by having her customers complain and then not re-purchase from her. Plus, you don't know for sure what her methods are. I do not believe that you would come across as helpful. There are lots of candle makers (including some on this board) who recycle jars and some people believe that it is safe and some don't. There are also lots of candle makers that sell improperly wicked candles (including some pretty big names). I'm sure some will disagree with me but that is just my opinion.

100% agreement

Maybe you could just introduce her to the craftserver forum. If she already knows about it then she doesn't care about safety as almost every other thread has some mention of it. If she doesn't know about it and becomes a new member, I'm sure she'll be excited to read up on candlemaking as well as get an education about safety to boot.

Have a good weekend.

Another thing to think about is that saying something could backfire on you. Since you are signing on to groups to sell you don't want to start something that could become nasty and have them badmouth you all over Facebook. You just don't know how they would take any "advice" given them.

Candybee, that's why I didn't say anything. I thought it would just look like I was a jealous candle maker, trying to make her look bad so people would buy my candles over hers....

omg... I completely understand how you feel now. I just ran across a "candlemaker" on FB very near me. She actually has a FB page that is advertising & taking orders, at the same time she is stating her candle supplies are ordered and on the way! She hasn't even made a single candle and she's taking orders! She posted that her supplies arrived today and she'll start filling orders Thursday!

Now I understand the whole "mind your own business" concept, BUT, there is a person on her FB page wanting prices and stuff and her location is MY neighborhood. So, if this customer lives in my subdivision and buys a candle from someone who just literally started making candles and her house burns down, how would I feel having not said something?

omg... I completely understand how you feel now. I just ran across a "candlemaker" on FB very near me. She actually has a FB page that is advertising & taking orders, at the same time she is stating her candle supplies are ordered and on the way! She hasn't even made a single candle and she's taking orders! She posted that her supplies arrived today and she'll start filling orders Thursday!

Now I understand the whole "mind your own business" concept, BUT, there is a person on her FB page wanting prices and stuff and her location is MY neighborhood. So, if this customer lives in my subdivision and buys a candle from someone who just literally started making candles and her house burns down, how would I feel having not said something?

Do you sell candles and/or tarts? If you do, then I would concentrate on creating a superior product, come up with creative advertising, publish it on FB, offer free samples, perhaps have a section about "candle education and fly-by-night sellers" without bashing anyone in particular (stress the importance of testing).... you get the drift, I'm sure. If what you offer is a quality product and you go above the standard, word will spread like wildfire.

However, if you do not sell, well, then I think there's not much you can do; someone (including this competitor) may wonder who gave you the right to complain if you're not even in the business - know what I mean?:wink2:

Do you sell candles and/or tarts? If you do, then I would concentrate on creating a superior product, come up with creative advertising, publish it on FB, offer free samples, perhaps have a section about "candle education and fly-by-night sellers" without bashing anyone in particular (stress the importance of testing).... you get the drift, I'm sure. If what you offer is a quality product and you go above the standard, word will spread like wildfire.

However, if you do not sell, well, then I think there's not much you can do; someone (including this competitor) may wonder who gave you the right to complain if you're not even in the business - know what I mean?:wink2:

Nope, don't sell yet. However, I'd hate to see a neighbor have a fire because someone is selling candles when they shouldn't be. I'm not viewing this on a competition level; just a human level. An unknowing customer doesn't understand the consequences...

Well, I sent a nice message, privately, and explained how long it takes to test each.....etc & explained why I was concerned. After stating right on her FB page that she "just started", she is now taking orders right there on her FB page. Tarts & candles in baby food jars.... She also altered her story a little and told me she has made candles before with her grandmother.... uh-huh. Whatever. I feel better planting the seed to maybe slow down, but as I now see her taking orders.....lol. I wish her luck!

I think you handled it well, Beth. Personally, I doubt her story about making candles with her grandmother, while still in her mother's womb, etc. etc., but then one never knows.:tiptoe:

Good luck to everyone!

Well, I sent a nice message, privately, and explained how long it takes to test each.....etc & explained why I was concerned. After stating right on her FB page that she "just started", she is now taking orders right there on her FB page. Tarts & candles in baby food jars.... She also altered her story a little and told me she has made candles before with her grandmother.... uh-huh. Whatever. I feel better planting the seed to maybe slow down, but as I now see her taking orders.....lol. I wish her luck!