filing lip balm tubes

jackie

There must be a trick to this. I melted BCN lip balm base, added their strawberry flavor oil (which doesn't have much flavor to me even after adding some sweetner), and used a spoon to fill the tubes but it's messy and I kept having to remelt the base. Next time I'll try placing on a cup warmer or griddle but is there a better way to fill the tubes? I tried a syringe but it clogged as soon as the base started cooling.

The best way I have found for filling the lip balm tubes is using a small glass measuring cup (the kind with a pour spout). I get the measuring cup really hot by filling it with water, and heating it up in the microwave. Then I pour the water out, wipe it dry, and melt the lip balm base. The glass retains the heat so I have no problem getting the tubes filled before the base cools off.

This http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin77c.html is by far the easiest way to fill lip balm tubes! I have two and would never bother with any other method now.

Oh, I use one of those too and still made a big mess pouring from a measuring cup alone. Probably just me because I have to wear an apron to keep the mess off my pajamas from whatever I'm working with.

There must be a trick to this. I melted BCN lip balm base, added their strawberry flavor oil (which doesn't have much flavor to me even after adding some sweetner), and used a spoon to fill the tubes but it's messy and I kept having to remelt the base. Next time I'll try placing on a cup warmer or griddle but is there a better way to fill the tubes? I tried a syringe but it clogged as soon as the base started cooling.

Man, can't believe the syringe didn't work for you. Did you use a big syringe? I go to the veterinarian office and get syringes made for cattle and they work perfect. If the lip balm gets too cool, simply squirt it back into the melting pot and keep going. I can sometimes do 50 lip balms without having to remelt.

The best way I have found for filling the lip balm tubes is using a small glass measuring cup (the kind with a pour spout). I get the measuring cup really hot by filling it with water, and heating it up in the microwave. Then I pour the water out, wipe it dry, and melt the lip balm base. The glass retains the heat so I have no problem getting the tubes filled before the base cools off.

I find this way the easiest too.I keep the cup in a pot that has hot water in it, if I need to stop pouring for a minute.

I have several little coffee creamers similar to these and I love them. They hold the heat and are easily cleaned with the heat gun & paper towels. I use them for lip balms and also in making layered pillar candles - don't think I could function without them.

http://www.katom.com/229-946.html

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/3-oz-bell-creamer/92246003.html

thanks for the replies. . I'll get a little funnel and try the meas cup. I like the idea of hot water to sit it in if you need to stop. I do my crafts in my basement and it's been cool lately so stuff cools off real fast. The syringe I had was huge (to me anyway) but the balm cooled and hardened real fast in it, it was plastic. Not sure what it was orig for but it was still in sealed plastic and I immed thought of balm or lotion bottle filling. Guess I should have tried to preheat it. The creamers look nice, maybe I can find one locally at our rest supply store.

Edited by jackie