Trouble With Removing Tarts From Portion Cups

sunharbor

I have been testing a blend of 4625 and 4630 for tarts in portion cups. One blend was 50/50 & the last one I did today was 60/40 (60% being 4625). They will not pop out of the portion cups easily. I am pouring at 145. I heat to 190, add fo at 180 if that helps any. You would think with the majority of the mix is the 4625 they would pop out easily. If you use this mix or the 4625 mixed with another paraffin container wax..have you had this problem? My next test will be 75/25 but I'm trying to keep the melt point down as low as I can. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

Well you were right about one thing...it was the 4630 container wax that was the problem. I did another test with the little bit of 6006 container wax I had here mixed 50/50 with the 4625 and they popped out of the portion cups perfectly. Thank you.

I think you will find that most people here use a ratio of 75% pillar/tart/votive wax (something harder and meant to stand alone) with 25% container wax IF they are using a mixture. The benefit of using a container wax for me is that it allows for a larger fragrance load and cuts down on pits and dimpling - giving you a smoother top surface. I use a blend of 75% EcoSoya PB and 25% EcoSoya Xcel. It has worked perfectly for me!

Edited by jolsen1973

Thank you Joslen...I'm currently testing the 4625 (75%) with the container wax 6006 (25%) to see how I like the throw & how long it lasts. I agree with you, adding the container wax does let me increase the fo load and makes for a nice looking tart.

I was mixing 75% c3 and 25% 4786 and getting awesome melts with awesome throw and they popped right out of the cups.I tried to make some with straight c3(only usa added)and they wouldn't come out for poo!Then when I did get em out,it left a lot of residue in the cup.Guess it's best to stick with what you know works!Lol!

CandleMakinCutiePie...yes, sometimes sticking to a known winner is best...I'm not liking the 75% 4625 & 25% 6006...scent throw is just not there. So far the 50/50 blend seems to be the winner. For many years I've been using the KY tart wax mixed with 20% 444. I liked it but was hoping to switch to mostly paraffin and hoping for stronger tarts. Not sure yet what I'll do...decisions...decisions.

The hotter you pour, the less likely your tart will pop out. I learned the hard way that clamshells and cups soften and bond with the wax if the temp is too high. I would think that tarts need to be pretty low MP anyway for electric warmers so I made sure I was using low MP wax for the project and letting it cool to just barely pouring ability.

I've used container waxes with a MP of around that of 4630 (115-120) mixed 50/50 with 4625 and had no trouble at all with them coming out of the clamshell or tart molds.

It must be something with the portion cup so I'm glad this topic was bought out. I'd of poured into the portion cup thinking nothing of it otherwise.

Jeanie...yep..they came out of the metal tart molds. I don't use clamshells. For some reason that mix does not like the portion cups. I poured at 145 so I know they didn't warp. You can barely budge them..I have to use all my strength to get them out. I've changed to testing 4625 (75%) with 25% J223 and they pop out easy. I tried that same percentage with the 4630 & nope...no luck.

Jeanie...yep..they came out of the metal tart molds. I don't use clamshells. For some reason that mix does not like the portion cups. I poured at 145 so I know they didn't warp. You can barely budge them..I have to use all my strength to get them out. I've changed to testing 4625 (75%) with 25% J223 and they pop out easy. I tried that same percentage with the 4630 & nope...no luck.

It sure is a good thing you tested them in the portion cups before filling a whole bunch thinking they'd pop right out like they did in the metal tart molds....*shudder*

The only thing I can think of is the MP of 4630 or its characteristics. Had to look up the MP of J223. CS says it is 120-128. I believe 4630 is under 120.

My favorite is 6098 (Victory) 50/50 with 4625 where the MP is 118 so I'd of had some problems there. When I run out of 6098 I'll use CBL125 to mix with 4625. The MP of CBL125 is higher tho' so that shouldn't be a problem...hopefully.

Jeanie..I think I read that the CBL125 is very similar to the J223 so if that is so, it should be okay. Not sure what it is about the 4630 and portion cups..maybe something I'm doing..not sure but I've moved on to the J223 which I can get at Candlescience.

• 3 months later...