Juried Craft show

Pennie

So I have been doing craft show for probably 8 years now and for several have had to send in pictures to be juried. I have put an application into one this year that i need to take some of my product to them to be juried. Any idea how much they expect you to bring in a case like this. Any info woudl be great.

Thanks

I've never had anyone ask for the actual product before the show, pictures of the products and you making them , yes.. but actual product, no.

I have no idea , unless you call them and just ask " Since this is my first time having to bring product in, could you please tell me what and how much of it you'd like ".

Or, I'd just send one of everything that is being submitted for jury.

For anyone else that might have had this happen to them ( being asked for product ) , is this normal? I've never been privy to it before so I don't know if its normal operating procedure or not.

How long has this craft show been in business ? I'd be a tad leery if it were brand new. Speaking for myself, I'd sent money to shows ( some new, some rather established) that have cancelled the show at the last minute, or your being there, and have played hell getting my money back. Now, this was my bad experience and I know others have had it but don't let that dissuade you.

I'd call, and just ask them, before I handed over quite a lot of product.

Sounds like they just want to examine your products to make sure they are handmade. I'd rather jump through hoops for a good juried craft show than one that claims they are for handmade items only and then turns out not to be the case.

They probably want to see one of each type of item you sell. For example, I usually sell candles, soap, and lip balm. I would take one of each product to show them; one candle, one soap, one lip balm.

I've had to show pictures of my products including my workshop and myself actually producing a candle/soap, etc. Have not had a show's jury ask for the products themselves with the exception of one show. In that case they just wanted to put my product in their showroom where they advertised the show.

There is a show I was thinking of applying for that wants a video of me producing my products. This doesn't surprise me as this particular show is huge and has strictly artisan crafters. Absolutely nothing for resale, must be all handmade.

Edited by Candybee

It depends. I would definitely contact them to ask for guidelines. Some places want a small display (like a 2-3 foot table).

My rule of thumb is to bring anything/everything that you think will 'wow' them. You never know who your competition is, nor do you know how many of each craft will be allowed.

This is sorta related to this post. Back to what Candybee was saying about a show being strictly handmade. I have applied to 3 of those for this fall and the only I don't like is that I purchased serveral of the melters from the co-op and I won't be able to sell those along with my clamshells because everything has to be "handmade". I do appreciate that as we all work hard in our craft but that is just my issue. Thanks for letting me vent! :-)

Thanks everyone i think that's what they want just maybe a sampling of each item that i make. The show is well established maybe 20 25 years now and i don't send the items i have to take them at a certain time for them to look at. So i guess i will just make sure i have a bit of everything with me. Maybe i will give them a call to make sure.

Thanks again