Safe cosmetic act of 2012 is alive

Scented

I have been sending emails and letters for ages now. I have received emails from suppliers with updates and explanations. I honestly have no idea why you are so angry and where you have been. Who exactly are you pissed at? This is nothing new.

I agree! Anger will get you no where but level headed advocacy will. Everyone has the enough anger in their lives they don't hear you when you speak anger.. They do hear facts, explanations in why you feel it is wrong, your professionalism & knowledge of the facts. There are quite a few threads here at the beginning of the hearings last year that Scented and I have talked about this subject with very few becoming involved and talking about it.

I also have been sending letters, emails, calling and talking to anyone who will listen including politicians, etc.. All of my customers have done the same for me. We have been doing it for a year now at least once every month.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep doing it!! :)

Let Annie vent. There needs to be a place to do it and she's right you know. Unfortunately we were caught with knowing the effort was shelved and then not hearing a peep about it until it came off that shelf for what appears to be yet a new group looking at it, though I don't believe it is totally new to these people.

Sometimes we need to get that anger out in hopes of motivating others and ourselves. Sometimes we just need to get it out. It can be frustrating when there is not a vehicle for us to do more than what we're trying to do. I just wish there was a way to stay on top of this issue. Like I said the first I heard of it coming back out was a post from HMSG and personal care's blog.

Keep doing it!! :)

Let Annie vent. There needs to be a place to do it and she's right you know. Unfortunately we were caught with knowing the effort was shelved and then not hearing a peep about it until it came off that shelf for what appears to be yet a new group looking at it, though I don't believe it is totally new to these people.

Sometimes we need to get that anger out in hopes of motivating others and ourselves. Sometimes we just need to get it out. It can be frustrating when there is not a vehicle for us to do more than what we're trying to do. I just wish there was a way to stay on top of this issue. Like I said the first I heard of it coming back out was a post from HMSG and personal care's blog.

But it's not coming across as motivational, at least not to me. I don't want to argue about it. I only started candles last fall & bath & body only recently. I'll just do my part in silence, like I'm sure many others are doing...

I am not angry at all, and I apologize if I sounded angry - but don't shoot the messenger!

I am just trying to inject a dose of reality by pointing out that so far there hasn't been a real "coordinated campaign" to fight this...what is the plan?

So far nobody has been able to tell me who is really behind this bill, does anyone know? Do you know who is paying the lobbyists in DC to push this bill? But you can be sure that the special interests pushing this bill has a plan, they are organized and they have the money to be "heard" by the people who will be voting on this bill.

Lovely and Noodles, sure last year I contatced my customers and other b&b makers, I signed the petition and I e-mailed my elected officials and then what? I got my generic letter or e-mail reply and nobody cares.

The reality is that we are outnumbered, outgunned and outspent and it is going to take more than a few isolated e-mails and a few letters if we really want to be heard. There is force in number for those of you who need and want to fight this you better get organized and speak before it is too late.

And if that sounds angry to some of you then your are missing the point. As far as I am concerned If I have to close my business today, it will not hurt me financially and I will find something else to do. So good luck to you all!

http://safecosmetics.org/section.php?id=74

Looks like the "Breast Cancer Fund" may be involved.

Below is from a link in the link provided. If I'm reading this right, it sounds as if it won't harm the small companies financially but my guess is it may raise the prices of our supplies from the larger companies.

I'm still going to put a letter (or email) together to send to Baldwin (D-WI). It sounds as if the Representatives involved want to press forward with these regulations. With this being election year, I'm hoping the more emails and letters they get flooded with can only help.

Now that we are aware of this, many seem to be ready to "take them on". Let's hope our voices will be heard.

What will companies have to do? According to our understanding of the Safe Cosmetics Act of 2011, cosmetics companies will have to:

• Register the company and its products with the FDA; companies with under $2 million in annual sales are not required to register;
  • Fully disclose ingredients in products (businesses that have signed the Compact for Safe Cosmetics have already agreed to do this, and hundreds of companies are already fully disclosing all ingredients, including those that make up "fragrance");
  • Pay a registration fee based on total annual sales to ensure the FDA has the capacity to evaluate the safety of ingredients; companies with under $10 million in annual sales are exempt from fees; and
  • Share safety data about product ingredients and ensure that all ingredients in the company's products have been assessed for safety. Safety data can be requested from ingredient suppliers or accessed from existing data on a publicly accessible database administered by the FDA.

Edited by jeanie353

I am not angry at all, and I apologize if I sounded angry - but don't shoot the messenger!

I am not going to get in a shouting match here, but you are certainly not the messenger. You have told us nothing that we do not already know. There has been a lot of representation and I have personally donated funds in support of it. No one is missing the point either and few of us need your dose of reality. You seem to be under the impression that you know the answers to everything. However, you have not suggested a single thing. All you have done is come off angry and point fingers at people who have been working hard on our behalf. You are asking for "the plan". Well, why not organize something instead of telling others what they should be doing? I have been up on this for a long time now and active thanks to many reputable suppliers, the Guild and others in this industry. Few of us have been idle. (And Scented, with all due respect, it does not come off as "venting".)

Edited by Noodle

Jeanie, the link I posted is from the 2011 version. I just posted it to show who was involved. The 2012 version didn't have an exclusion for small businesses.

of

Thanks for that! And don't keep quiet, then we think no one's paying attention :)

I'm just saying if one is angry let's vent it and then move on. Sometimes my best ideas come out of venting so I guess that's why I find a little release to be motivating.

Unfortunately we were caught with knowing the effort was shelved and then not hearing a peep about it until it came off that shelf for what appears to be yet a new group looking at it, though I don't believe it is totally new to these people.

I'll admit I heard something about it before this.....probably several months back and...I think, on this forum. Soon it went to the back of my mind to not think about it again until Scented brought it to our attention it is now front and forward. Was like a wake-up call.

Scented...thanks for bringing it forward and shaking us all up a bit. Maybe now we can get a movement, letters, emails.....with many more of us getting involved.

If someone gets something going I would be more than happy to help do my part.

I know many of us would. I personally have no idea what to do which is why I am thankful for those who have done so much already.

I just started last fall with tarts and like Beth recently ventured into B&B....I do understand it can be frustrating when dealing with the government. I am willing to help also I have to admitt I have never been an admin person I am a helper.. so I am willing to help in any way as this does affect me and I love what I do...so tell me where to start Im on board...anyone in Illinois that would like to work on our reps here? maybe thats an idea. Every state can put together a committee to work on getting through to the rep in their state, media, consumers etc...then we all come together for capitol Hill. its just a thought.... we have many states represented here..what you think

Maybe I can make a suggestion. According to Debbie May there will be a vote on this bill on June 12th so I think that we need to go directly to the source.

How many people on this site? We need to spread the word on the front page. We can contact our customers an do an e-mail /mail campaign targeting the subcommittee directly, demanding that an exclusion be made for small business under $250,000 a year. (How many of us make $250,000 a year anyway).

The Health Subcommittee Chairman is Rep. Joseph R. Pitts (fron Pensylvania)

204 Cannon House Office Building, Washington, DC 20515

email:

www.house.gov/pitts

RE: H.R. Cosmetics Safety Enhancement Act of 2012

We can do a generic letter stating that we only use FDA approved ingretients, make batches of products, deal directly with our customers, carry liability insurance, how this would be the end of our businesses and whatever else you feel we should say.

Also we should all e-mail sites like Etsy, Artfire and other handmade sites and point out that if we go out of business they stand to loose money and maybe they can help spread the world just like they did a few months ago with an internet law.

Thanks for the info Annie.

To add to this, new or not, get connected to the Indie blog too. Here you'll find a break down of the bill as she goes through it: (to keep people updated, if you see it around somewhere, link it here so we can get a visual on interpretations (good or bad) and we might start to get an idea of what is going on, including people pushing for this to go through.

http://www.indiebusinessblog.com/cosmetic-safety-enhancement-act-of-2012-by-donna-maria/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+indiebusinessblog%2FewyL+%28Indie+Business+Blog%29&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail

Below is from a link in the link provided. If I'm reading this right, it sounds as if it won't harm the small companies financially but my guess is it may raise the prices of our supplies from the larger companies.

I'm still going to put a letter (or email) together to send to Baldwin (D-WI). It sounds as if the Representatives involved want to press forward with these regulations. With this being election year, I'm hoping the more emails and letters they get flooded with can only help.

Now that we are aware of this, many seem to be ready to "take them on". Let's hope our voices will be heard.

What will companies have to do? According to our understanding of the Safe Cosmetics Act of 2011, cosmetics companies will have to:

• Register the company and its products with the FDA; companies with under $2 million in annual sales are not required to register;
  • Fully disclose ingredients in products (businesses that have signed the Compact for Safe Cosmetics have already agreed to do this, and hundreds of companies are already fully disclosing all ingredients, including those that make up "fragrance");
  • Pay a registration fee based on total annual sales to ensure the FDA has the capacity to evaluate the safety of ingredients; companies with under $10 million in annual sales are exempt from fees; and
  • Share safety data about product ingredients and ensure that all ingredients in the company's products have been assessed for safety. Safety data can be requested from ingredient suppliers or accessed from existing data on a publicly accessible database administered by the FDA.

I'm quoting, because this is from the 2011 version. In 2012, the first item does not exempt small businesses that make under x amount. I just want us to be sure to understand that the $500 yearly fee right now affects ALL of us who have cosmetics in our lineup.

Thanks for the info Annie.

To add to this, new or not, get connected to the Indie blog too. Here you'll find a break down of the bill as she goes through it: (to keep people updated, if you see it around somewhere, link it here so we can get a visual on interpretations (good or bad) and we might start to get an idea of what is going on, including people pushing for this to go through.

http://www.indiebusinessblog.com/cosmetic-safety-enhancement-act-of-2012-by-donna-maria/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+indiebusinessblog%2FewyL+%28Indie+Business+Blog%29&utm_content=Yahoo%21+Mail

thanks just subscribed to indiebusiness blog will start reading up

Ok, at the risk of sounding dumb, (I'm going to blame my meds and the vertigo right now :) ), this 2012 version of the bill replaces the 2011 version? It's not an addendum or supplement to the 2011 version? Reason I ask is there was a lot more legal-eez type of stuff in the 2011, such as employees, maintaining MSDS, animal testing, etc. Hard to imagine they would come up with a bill with less verbiage... Not that I'm complaining.

So, for this new version of the bill the key points from the bill and as outlined in the Indie blog are:

1. Registration of Facilities and Products
  2. Fees
  3. Good Manufacturing Practices
  4. Serious Adverse Events Reporting
  5. Safety Substantiation
  6. Mandatory Recall

For the first point, registration of a facility would not be too cumbersome, but what could be is what is considered a Product. Does that mean every formulation with different fragrance oils used in a sugar scrub? Or, if I decide to use more cetyl alcohol in the summer for a body butter? Or, any tweak we do to make a better, more cost-effective or safe product?

Fees are obvious and will be difficult for just about any new small business starting out. Probably even for those that are established. Between buying supplies, testing, insurance, licensing, taxes, I currently don't make enough in sales to cover my expenses. Granted, I have a day job that consumes most of my time. So, I am growing my business slowly and making sure my products are stable and safe. But, to add another $500 on top of that? Maybe implement a fee on a sliding scale or better yet, add back in the exemption if sales are below a certain level.

And, can anyone explain to me exactly how that fee calculation works for 2014 on? Don't know about you, but that section confused the heck out of me.

My concern with the Good Manufacturing Practices, since no standards have yet to be defined (at least that I see), is if it will disallow the use of our home as a facility.

It would also be nice if there were some additional guidelines on what is acceptable documentation for studies, tests and data. And, I can see some fun times with the serious adverse events section. I understand the need for this, but how do we determine that the reaction was caused by our product and not because they ate a Snickers bar and happen to be allergic to nuts.

Ok, I apologize that this is so long, but I want to make sure I'm reading the bill correctly. I do want to send letters again, as I did last year. I know that I asked Scented last year if I had a grasp of the concepts. I have not had an opportunity to review the hearings that Talltayl provided, need to do that.

eta: Also sorry if all of this has been talked about in previous posts. Just want to make sure I understand....

Edited by ProudMarineMom

Me again. I would also be happy to try and draft a generic letter that everyone can use to send, if you want. It would be helpful if we could identify the issues or concerns with each of the key points and the effect it will have on our business. For some of the points it would be effective to provide an alternative, like the fees. We don't want the letter to read as just complaining, that we do support the intent of the bill (I'm assuming we do, for the most part I do), but that it could have a devastating effect on small business if implemented as written.

Would this be helpful?

Thanks for the link Annie. Unfortunately, I have a hard time following one of the basic principals, keeping it to one page. I'm not good at saying something in 3 words when I can use 20. Running joke at work.

Anyway, I have a start to a letter template but it's a little over a page. If everyone would please review and give me your comments or suggestions we can get this into shape. Heck, I may not even make the right points...

The second paragraph I don't particularly like the last sentence, so that could use some help. I also flip back and forth with the 'I' and 'We'. Not sure of the best way to handle this. The letter is from 'me' but I want to convey that 'We' as a community will be affected. Obviously the addessee will be the name of your state official or whoever. Just used him to format the letter.

Anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks.

I have the document in Word format but can only attach a PDF, which is too large. So, I put it in Google Docs. Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3TSeQ-5rgseeUltSERDWFVRWE9BZVpiVGFBY2tGUQ