Safe cosmetic act of 2012 is alive

Scented

Yes, I know about Dona Marie of Indie, Ann Marie, Debbie May...and I do appreciate their efforts and they also stand to lose if this bill becomes law. I also know that the Soapmaker's Guild came in favor of this bill last year because it would weed out bad elements (paraphrasing). But out of 10 b&b and cosmetic makers I contacted via Etsy last year only 1 knew of this bill.

How many of you have seen anything in the local or national media? The only place your read about this bill is here and on the above mentioned people's blog and there are not a lot of comments. The petition against this bill last year didn't even get 10,000 signatures.

None of the bath & body or cosmetics supply websites have anything about this on their front page so the info is not getting to the people who need it.

What about sites like Etsy and Artfire who also stand to lose a good deal of money anyone talked to them to enlist their help?

How are we going to fight this if no one knows about it?

If there are 200,000 of us and this will affect between 200,000 and 600,000 jobs as Debbie May told the committee overseeing this bill where are these people, why have they not been contacted and organized into a campaign to contact their elected official and to contact the members overseeing this committee.

I am sorry but I think that 300,000+ signatures delivered to the Small Business Administration and to the sub committee overseeing this matter would have a greater impact in an election year than a few well meaning women business owners testifying in front of that same sub committee. Not to diminish these ladies' work but if you've ever worked for the federal government you would know that the squeaky wheel gets the grease (like one of my friend used to say, maybe they should hire her as a lobbyist).

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, If I were not on this board or get emails from Dona Marie, I would never have even known about this bill at this point. I realize that it's our responsibility to do our due diligence, but it's ridiculous how they can HIDE this stuff till its too late. I stopped making B&B for sale when it all started, too much hassle for the small amount of $ made.

I agree Annie. I know we've passed the word to the crafters we see and are connected with on our circuit. It isn't enough. I am on board for any petition to be signed. I wish I could lobby more for this and do more. If it weren't for those ladies or personal care truth blog, I wouldn't know anything about it. When I got word they were going to Washington it was like uh oh not again.

There was ust a short blip about this on our local news yesterday (Portland). There wasn't any details other than the FDA will soon have more control over cosmetics. I literally think that is what they said, and then moved on.

Geesh! This is a vehicle for us to use too if we can break into the visual media, radio, papers etc. We have to make reporters aware that what's going on in committees has the potential to shut down small businesses in their backyards etc. It would be great to get Brian Williams on this or someone from 60 minutes or there are so many vehicles.

Dona Maria, Debbie, Ann Marie and all the others who sell us supplies to make b&b and cosmetics have customer database maybe they could start by e-mailing their customers and notify them of what is going on after all we don't buy all the stuff we buy from them just to look at.

Then maybe giving us the names and mailing address, or e-mail address of all the members on the sub committee overseeing this matter and maybe a generic letter to use when contacting these people before they vote on this bill. Does anyone know when they are supposed to vote on this?

And yes maybe the media and the press has anyone contacted the Washington Times or The Washington Post? go direclty to the source since this is happening here in DC. What about the Small Business Administration after all you have 200,000 small business owned mostly by women who will most likely be forced to closed their doors, in this economy it is a very smart move.

I just don't understand why there has been not leadership on this, we had a whole year to get ready so maybe it is time to wake up and smell the body spray.

Or maybe we should just sit on our hands and wait to be forced out of business.

After reading this, I have my letter written with various documentation ready to be copied & mailed to all the state politicians I can find... And maybe media. If everyone on this board did the same thing? Even if they don't do b&b. Because when the suppliers lose tons of revenue if this becomes law, what will happen to the prices of wax..........

At least I will feel better knowing I tried :)

I just don't understand why there has been not leadership on this,

There has been plenty of leadsership on this. I sent emails and letters for the better part of last year. Many suppliers have kept us informed for ages now.

I'll ponder on what aspects of it I'm going to focus on and will put something together and get it out as well. With Baldwin being right here in my state along with BCN she may be inclined to see how it will affect not just larger companies but the micro ones too.

I love that idea about companies sending out information w/ orders. THAT would definitely get the word out.

I think this could end up being one of those rushed bills ... hard to say. It will have to come out of the subcommittee it's in, but I got the impression these people wanted to move on it. I just wish the move was back to the shelf.

Where did wax come into this or what are you referring to Beth? I may have missed something, but I've been trying to follow the post and find other information between working odd hours.

I contacted Debbie May of WSP and this is what she said:

"Yes, I am working on launching a media campaign. I am reached out to other leaders such as HSMG, IBN and Bramble Berry. I am working on a website that will hopefully be ready next week. From there it a full media and letter campaign will be launched.

Stay tuned...it is only just beginning!!! "

Edited by annie123

I love that idea about companies sending out information w/ orders. THAT would definitely get the word out.

I think this could end up being one of those rushed bills ... hard to say. It will have to come out of the subcommittee it's in, but I got the impression these people wanted to move on it. I just wish the move was back to the shelf.

Where did wax come into this or what are you referring to Beth? I may have missed something, but I've been trying to follow the post and find other information between working odd hours.

I was just thinking that if suppliers stand to lose a lot of revenue from the small b&b businesses, they may have to raise their prices on non-b&b supplies.

After reading this, I have my letter written with various documentation ready to be copied & mailed to all the state politicians I can find... And maybe media. If everyone on this board did the same thing? Even if they don't do b&b. Because when the suppliers lose tons of revenue if this becomes law, what will happen to the prices of wax..........

At least I will feel better knowing I tried :)

Would you mind posting some of your letter or kind of an outline of how to word it..I would write to my lawmakers also..I am just at a loss as to how to word the letter :)

Geesh! This is a vehicle for us to use too if we can break into the visual media, radio, papers etc. We have to make reporters aware that what's going on in committees has the potential to shut down small businesses in their backyards etc. It would be great to get Brian Williams on this or someone from 60 minutes or there are so many vehicles.

I did contact them and give that particular station some information. Doubt it will help, but atleast I gave it a shot! After reading all of this, I just couldn't sit still after seeing that lame clip. Way to educate the public, lol.

We have a store here called made in oregon (handcrafted and small business products all made here). I wonder if they have caught wind of this? More people to contact!

Would you mind posting some of your letter or kind of an outline of how to word it..I would write to my lawmakers also..I am just at a loss as to how to word the letter :)

Basically it was from the viewpoint of a super-duper-small-business-to-be that will not come to fruition if this becomes law. & how some of the points of the bill are going to affect others like me- trying to become self-supporting, trying to make better products than off the shelf, etc. & how home-based b&b businesses typically don't have the resources, physically & financially, to comply with the bill as it's laid out. Oh & how many thousands of people will be put out of business because of this....

They may not care about the small fish, but I'm pissed that the little guys are getting the shaft, as usual.

I did contact them and give that particular station some information. Doubt it will help, but atleast I gave it a shot! After reading all of this, I just couldn't sit still after seeing that lame clip. Way to educate the public, lol.

We have a store here called made in oregon (handcrafted and small business products all made here). I wonder if they have caught wind of this? More people to contact!

I bet they haven't. I would say to get with like crafters in your state/area and have them all go after the publicity on the news. Nothing stirs interest until there are many more numbers. I would hit up the newspapers and just keep after it ... you can always start with, last week I contacted you about a concern I have and the lack of media exposure this is getting. Small business helped to build American interprise and a proposed bill like this will decimate that freedom that once was afforded our forefathers. Then repeat what you were writiing about, include links or a copy of the bill that's sitting in the house and references to how it will impact you etc. and always that you're for safer cosmetics, but how such a strident desire by the powers on the hill don't even apply this to food. Close with I am looking forward to seeing a fruitful investigation from you as the press is a powerful vehicle and has a responsibility for unlocking closed doors etc.

I was just thinking that if suppliers stand to lose a lot of revenue from the small b&b businesses, they may have to raise their prices on non-b&b supplies.

Thought that might be it, but I think and hope these companies that offer both will get on the outraged bandwagon. While companies can and do set their prices to sell non-B&B items to us, wax price increases are going to be more likely because of the fuel prices that no one seems alarmed to try to do something about. I imagine we have to get closer to an actual election before we start seeing some supposed relief there.

Agreed. I do think the suppliers will have to lead the effort for all of us to follow. They know who we all are; we can't really find "us" on our own. Bu,t in the meantime, my letters will be going out this week. :)

Doing what? We had a whole year to get organized and to fight this and little was done, I appreciate what Debbie is trying to do and I hope it is not too late but this should have been done last year.

Like I said before during that year suppliers could have contacted their customers, signatures could have been collected and brought to the sub committee in Washington. We could even have organized into a national association, then when you go before Congress you can say I represent 150,000 members, women business owners that will not vote for your party in this election year. So I am sorry but with the right approach this bill could have been made so toxic in an election year that it would have been DOA.

Most of the b&b makers I contatced had never heard anything...and there are only so many places that sell b&B making supplies.

There was no organized mailing campaign and I never heard a thing on the news. No offense to anyone's local news but for anyone to take us seriously this needs to been seen in Washington, DC. Our politicians will not care if it comes from outside the Beltway.

Doing what? We had a whole year to get organized and to fight this and little was done, I appreciate what Debbie is trying to do and I hope it is not too late but this should have been done last year.

Like I said before during that year suppliers could have contacted their customers, signatures could have been collected and brought to the sub committee in Washington. We could even have organized into a national association, then when you go before Congress you can say I represent 150,000 members, women business owners that will not vote for your party in this election year. So I am sorry but with the right approach this bill could have been made so toxic in an election year that it would have been DOA.

Most of the b&b makers I contatced had never heard anything...and there are only so many places that sell b&B making supplies.

There was no organized mailing campaign and I never heard a thing on the news. No offense to anyone's local news but for anyone to take us seriously this needs to been seen in Washington, DC. Our politicians will not care if it comes from outside the Beltway.

Yes, we get it. We understand your viewpoint.

Some of us ARE DOING SOMETHING NOW.

I've been getting emails regarding this for quite a while from both WSP and HSMG. I think many people were hoping it would be shelved this year just like it did last year. Debbie had also sent emails regarding hiring someone to lobby for this. Annie are you not on wsp's mailing list? I am and that's how I received this information.

I am under the impression that those who have been voices for us are just as taken aback as we are right now. I understand why Annie is angry. Truth is there are many new people who come into bath and body and others who only dabble. There are people who hope someone will do something about it, but they don't take an initiative until an issue moves into their ring of concern. I know I have tried to keep watch and saw nothing.

I don't know if something broke down in the link or what, but we can still be many voices. We may be angry, surprised, worried etc., but the bottom line is no matter what has happened, the bill hasn't come out of committee and we really shouldn't wait for it arrive on someone's floor for a vote or to wait until a campaign hits full wage. So this is round three I believe. We can't give up trying. We shouldn't give up trying and for those this doesn't affect, some day it just might. I appreciate the help that has come from earlier and I hope continues to come. I just think we don't lay defeated ... we can still be heard.

Yes, you can find like crafters near you if you are doing shows, if you can get to a show and show seasons should be kicking into gear. Find the people. Find the businesses. They need to understand what's before them and others need to understand what their decisions are going to do. There is a lot of anger out there on many issues. Don't let those issues distract from this.

I have been sending emails and letters for ages now. I have received emails from suppliers with updates and explanations. I honestly have no idea why you are so angry and where you have been. Who exactly are you pissed at? This is nothing new.