just wondering, testing question

Does it make more sense to do a power burn first to make sure the wick works and then do the qhr/1"diam burns? Just seems like it would be easier. Of course I would need to keep checking to make sure the glass isn't too hot, but if the candle can't make it through a power burn, seems like a lot of time is wasted doing a 3 hr burn and waiting, over and over, and then conducting a power burn that doesn't work.

IDK just wanted to see any thoughts on why it is better to do a power burn last.

Power burning is a ridiculously overcautious activity. If you do it, more power to you. But if your really interested in making sure your candles are safe for every moron out there, I'd suggest you trade this hobby for stamp collecting. When does the insanity end? If your going to power burn, I think you need to also test how close you can power burn to various types of walls from wood to gypsum to steel before they catch on fire. Come to think of it, you better put a heat monitor on the ceiling. Some idiot might like to burn his candles on a high shelf. What if he leaves for the weekend and forgets to extinguish his candle? Will his book shelf catch on fire? What if his book shelf was made of cotton candy? I hope your testing for flame heat on cotton candy!! hee hee

Use common sense people.... Candle making is NOT rocket science.....

Edited by robertgibbens

I agree with Robert to a point but power burning is not that unusual of an activity and we should realize that people do it. If they want to burn my candle underneath their curtain, that's on them. But I know for a fact that some of my customers power burn their candles and, therefore, I feel a sense of responsibility, morally if not legally. I have a few customers that I actually underwick for because they are all day burners (they own stores, shops, whatever, and burn all day).

Power burning is a ridiculously overcautious activity. If you do it, more power to you. But if your really interested in making sure your candles are safe for every moron out there, I'd suggest you trade this hobby for stamp collecting. When does the insanity end? If your going to power burn, I think you need to also test how close you can power burn to various types of walls from wood to gypsum to steel before they catch on fire. Come to think of it, you better put a heat monitor on the ceiling. Some idiot might like to burn his candles on a high shelf. What if he leaves for the weekend and forgets to extinguish his candle? Will his book shelf catch on fire? What if his book shelf was made of cotton candy? I hope your testing for flame heat on cotton candy!! hee hee

Use common sense people.... Candle making is NOT rocket science.....

OMG OMG OMG!!!

Where is the +1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 button?

Ok thanks...lol...guess it's not a necessary task. I would also feel better doing it, I can be absent minded at times and would probably be one of the first to leave my candle burning. (maybe I should find another hobby) :) It made more sense, to me, to do a power burn first. I assumed someone would have a logical reason for doing it after... Thanks everyone for your input... know we can't save every candle burner from doing something stupid with their candles!

If you feel better, by all means do it. But you need to test for proper burning first; i.e., 4 hours at a time (or thereabouts, depending on the diameter of your candle) to gauge melt pool, throw, carbon debris, etc. Once you have the basics resolved, by all means burn that thing into nothing, lol.

Test until you're satisfied. If power burning makes you feel better, go for it!

Honestly, I worry more about people not burning a candle long enough to get a fmp and then they think it's underwicked.

I agree with Robert to a point but power burning is not that unusual of an activity and we should realize that people do it. If they want to burn my candle underneath their curtain, that's on them. But I know for a fact that some of my customers power burn their candles and, therefore, I feel a sense of responsibility, morally if not legally. I have a few customers that I actually underwick for because they are all day burners (they own stores, shops, whatever, and burn all day).

I have no problem with power burning, but can't imagine how it can be done in a store or such without blowing the candle out and trimming the wick. My candles are heavily scented and would be smoking like a chimney after 4 or 5 hours!!

I have no problem with power burning, but can't imagine how it can be done in a store or such without blowing the candle out and trimming the wick. My candles are heavily scented and would be smoking like a chimney after 4 or 5 hours!!

So, do you burn for 4 hour burn sessions with 1-hour cool downs in between? How many hours do you wait between 4-hour burn sessions, in other words. I think the ASTM info said they only wait for 1 hour in between burns.

The average person doesn't know much about how to burn a candle. I think the average person looks for the cheapest. Only those that do it often see the difference. I think I have burned more for testing that I have done for my own pleasure. Seriously. You don't get very far in life if you don't "practice, practice, practice". That's what my mother said and when I grew up I learned what that meant. (smile). I have power burned and watched what the wax and wick did. And I burned one hour per inch diameter of candle. I make notes. Sometimes I forget what I have done so I check myself on this board and read what I said years ago.....(smile again)......I still forget things. So much to learn......and remember when you lose your notes. Donita

• 2 weeks later...
Does it make more sense to do a power burn first to make sure the wick works and then do the qhr/1"diam burns? Just seems like it would be easier. Of course I would need to keep checking to make sure the glass isn't too hot, but if the candle can't make it through a power burn, seems like a lot of time is wasted doing a 3 hr burn and waiting, over and over, and then conducting a power burn that doesn't work.

IDK just wanted to see any thoughts on why it is better to do a power burn last.

Actually, I never thought of this! You are right - if you like to power burn before you feel comfortable selling your candles, that is what you will do. And yes, why waste all the time doing the 3 hour burn, checking melt pool, noting how the sides, center,scent throw, etc - just to find out it won't survive a power burn and you won't sell it?? When I first started, I used to power burn, but the wax and wicks we use now (4630 with LX) makes it pretty easy to guess which wick will work for our jar candles and votives. Of course, we are starting pillars now and we will see if that continues. lol

Edited by Jane42
misspelling.....AGAIN!

I never really bought into the 3 hour burn thing, I test my candles as I think the average person would; light it and blow it out when you need to. So, basically a power burn. However, in some cases after 3, 4, or some number of hours it becomes obvious that the wick need trimming, then I blow it out and start over. This works for me, I have well behaved candles now with good MP and flames if 1/2 to 3/4 inches, no smoke, and no soot.

I never really bought into the 3 hour burn thing, I test my candles as I think the average person would; light it and blow it out when you need to. So, basically a power burn. However, in some cases after 3, 4, or some number of hours it becomes obvious that the wick need trimming, then I blow it out and start over. This works for me, I have well behaved candles now with good MP and flames if 1/2 to 3/4 inches, no smoke, and no soot.

That's how I like to do it too. It makes sense to me. I read of someone who always burns their testers for 10 hours each day in their retail shop until the candle is finished.