question about soapcalc

jackie

My first soaps have all felt good going on but there's a dry feeling after I rinse so I put a recipe thru soapcalc increasing the superfat (prev were 5%). The lye number went down but the moisturizing number stayed the same. So how do you decide what to superfat at? Is it just trial and error?

The prev recipes I tried was a beginner recipe, quiet girls and Kat's creamy bubbles).

I'm trying to formulate one of my own now. Here's what I have so far:

Palm 25%

Babassu 5%

coconut 20%--should this be lower maybe?

olive 40%

castor 5%

Almond 5%

Suggestions?

It really may have nothing to do with superfat. your skin may not love one or some of the oils in that bar. for instance, my skins doesn't love soaps with high palm or olive. Some people have reactions to coconut oil. Have you used other soaps with similar percentages of ingredients?

SoapCalc's moisturizing number has nothing to do with Superfat%. The calculations have to do with the particular oil(s) in your formulation. My SF preference for general use soap is 7%. Several accomplished soapmaking friends SF at 8-10%.

Your formula doesn't look bad to me. That amount of OO should be pretty mild - though the babassu and coconut combined (both with similar properties) may be a bit too cleansing for you.

How well cured is the soap you're finding this sensation with? Are you certain of your measurements? Is your scale really accurate?

The soaps are from 5 weeks to 8 weeks old. I have good scales and ck the calibration before use. I was thinking of omitting the coconut since all the others had it in there at anywhere from 15 to 25 percent.

I think I'll try the PKO and babassu instead. That would give a comparison to see if it's the coconut. Then if that's better, I can increase the superfat in the next batch and see what that does. Thanks.

I agree with Chris on this one. I have a really good formula that uses no coconut and moderate amounts of palm but babassu is so expensive. I also add jojoba beads in the soap for a mild exfoliant and extra skin care. I love the way the pko changes the texture of the soap too. HTH

Steve

I just replace the water for goat's milk at 100% for all my soaps and never figure it into my recipe calculations and I SF at 6%. Of course my recipe is different......I use Olive Oil, Avocado, babassu, palm kernel and mango butter.

Thanks Chris.

Am I wrong in my line of thinking here--(I like numbers so bear with me)

If I use half a can of GM (I make small batches), according to the can that's 12 grams of fat. A 2pd batch is 907 grams of oils (rounded). So I'm adding 1.3% more fat (12/907). Should that be similar to a superfat if I wasn't using milk, in theory at least?

note: I prob should have included the 6oz concentrated GM in the total but it's still 1.3%

Edited by jackie

Ya got me Jackie LOL!! :confused: You may be just overthinking your recipe. Like I said I don't calculate anything with the goat's milk I use, I just replace all the water with the fresh goat's milk and superfat at 6%. I have no idea what the fat content is anyway, I've never asked the farmer I buy it from. :cool2:

Something you can try -- go to SoapCalc, get your numbers off the coconut and look at the lye number. Go to another oil, say walnut maybe, sub that into the coconut space and see if that reduces the amount of lye you use. If so, use your regular recipe, but use the number for the lye that another oil lowered it to and see if you like your soap better. Hope that makes sense.