Food Grade vs. Tech grade lye??

icecold

I usually buy food grade lye for CP. It is more pure than tech grade in which occasionally I see particles of unidentified things that I'd prefer not be in my product.

Lye is used as a preparation in a number of common foods actually. Pretzels, canned oranges, green olives, and a number of Asian dishes. Anywhere the tough coatings or fibers need to be removed lye is a good chemical candidate. I've learned recently that some old timer farmers use weak lye solutions (a bit added to the water tank) to deworm livestock.:shocked2:

FYI: coconut oil in cp tastes really bad! lol

Tallow tastes a lot worse than coconut (in CP). lol

I buy food grade from Essential Depot, for the same reason TallTayl does. Don't want any unidentified particles, plus I can advertize it as "made with food grade lye" !!!

I also buy the food grade from ED. I'm getting my palm and fo order today. They are having a sale on palm now that ends soon so get it while you can.

I get my orders overnight because we are both in FL. Love that and love ED!

If you read your toothpaste ingredients, it will likely be there. I think it would calm down some customers to know this when your trying to sell soap and they say "no way, if it's made with lye". Just have a toothpaste label there to show them what they've been brushing with:)

• 9 months later...