tart wax

LynnS

The Candlemaker Sroe is close to me.Have any of you purchased their wax for tarts.And if so what one do you use?????

I did see that Nature's Garden has a tart wax but haven't checked The Candlemakers Store site. If it doesn't say tart wax I wonder if it would make a good tart.

I want a wax that when you are finished with the tart it just falls out of the warmer without digging or re-melting.

Of course for 6 years I brought my tart and candle wax from AWE. No longer able to do that.Honestly the closing of the companies I used has been hard to replace the products. A bummer. Had made my candlemaking a bit harder.

Thanks

LynnS

In my experience, waxes that are easily removed from the warmer include the IGI 4786, 4794, CBL 129. When it comes to tarts, you can use many, as long as they aren't soft waxes like - for example - 4633. I mean, you can use them, but they won't come out of the molds/clamshells easily. HTH

I'll write these down and see if The Candlemaker Store has any of these waxes.For my candles Ive used Soy 402 and love it.Also got that from AWE but now pick it up at THE Candlemakers Store.

Thanks

LynnS

Do they make a wax that just solidifies and "falls" out of the warmer ???

I use 4794 Paraflex A. It's a votive wax, but you will find many people who use paraffin in the south (and other places ) that use this because it works great at 1:1 ratio, and can withstand a lot of abuse as far as if you make individual tarts that will be moved around, as opposed to clamshells.

Since you can't hear inflections and tones, through type, just know when I ask this, Raven, its not being or sounding snippy ! But .. .define " did not last" ? What fo / % were you using. I've always been pleased with how long mine performs... just wondering if Im "missing something" as far as throw time goes.. also, what type of burner/warmer/melter were you using?

Nothing snippy with your question, Blacktieaffair. ok, I put that wax (4794) through my usual tests. warmers I used included the cheapo $5 walmart with my own heat proof bowl, a Scentsy warmer, a Candlewarmer tin warmer, and a Candlewarmer "ceramic" warmer. I averaged the hours of good throw I got from all of them, but had to discard the Scentsy results because the wax never did melt completely. I got fewer than 8 hours, regardless of FO percentage. To one pound of wax I added 1oz., 1.3oz. and finally 1.6oz. By "good throw" I mean being able to smell it at least 1 room away. The "testing" room is approx. 19x24 with 12' ceiling. No AC/heat going.

Tried the following FOs (that I can remember, I'm sure I'm forgetting some and I'm too lazy to go check my notes, lol): Fairy Garden, Merlin's forest, Floral Muse (MW); Mandarin plum, Orange chiffon cake, White tea&ginger (Peak's); Christmas memories (Cajun's); Bewitched, Crisp&candied, Crackling birch (NG). Like I said, I tested others, but that's all I can remember tonight.

Well crud LOL I was hoping you'd tested at least one I'd tested or used before but.. no such luck LOL.

Ok, this is how I test. Straight to the hardest part of it. I use a metal tea light warmer. Tea light is approx 2 inches above the "cup". It's a solid one piece, el cheapo that I get at the Dollar Tree. Black, has two thin metal bars holding the shallow cup 2 inches above the tealight . I do use electric warmers around the house, but for testing purposes, I put it through a tea light test where I know that that wax, gets approx 20 degrees hotter or more, in the metal tea light holder, than in the ceramic elect. warmer. I get a SOLID 3 or 4 tea light burn out of each scent. Each tealight burns approximately 3 or 4 hours. Now, by "solid" I mean, its still kicking along, but getting near the " you gotta walk kinda close to smell it but not have your head over it " stage. LOL

When I use the electric warmer I have now ( which by the way I hate LOL ) I get a solid ( as described above ) HT for 18 hours, and it start tapering off.

Each of these is ONE square of a clamshell which is approx. one half (1/2 ) oz of wax. I never ever put more than ONE square in whether Im testing for myself or customer or using for myself. If it wont fill up a room like you described ( I also have those 12 ft ceilings and its about 800 sq ft this one room ) ... then IF I sell it ( the "weaker" ones) I have it listed that it is a milder scent.

I do have a small line of "milder scents" for those that don't like bombs, but I personally, want a bomb and that's what most of mine are.

I am happy with the longevity of my melts at 1 cube 1/2 oz at a 1:1 ratio (yes some very few scents I put it a touch over 1oz fo) because I figure 12 hours running at 140 to higher degrees in a tea light to 120 degrees in an electric... is long enough. While I do want my melts competitive with others on how long they last........... I always want them to use them up and order more LOL . I've been lucky I've found a pretty good mix of that ( reordering in a reasonable amount of time instead of ordering once, then maybe again six months down the line ).

The great thing about all of this ( candle/ bnb ) making is , we each have our own system, and if we're lucky... it works for us . And if it stops working for us, then we get to switch things up, retest other alternatives and go from there ! That's why this board is so amazing. All of us are from all over the world and its that old saying.. what works for one , doesn't mean it works for the masses !

Thanks for all the info you gave on your testing. That was pretty sweet ! I hate you didnt have the desired results with the 4794 because I love this wax.... but ...... hey , if it doesn't work with what you are trying to sell.... so be it! Im glad you found something that DID work for you , just like I did :)

I used pillar wax from AWE but they are out of business.Made a great tart. I checked the Candlemaker Store but can't seem to figure out what I want.Husband was looking too. I ordered 416 from Nature's Garden.Said it was a tart wax.Great throw with Creme Brulee.Really to strong IMO BUT I have to remelt or dig the tart out of the warmer or my glass votive I use to melt my tarts. Pillar wax will drop out of warmers etc without any leftover wax.No remelting or digging to melt another tart.

I have a wholesale order coming for candles, votives and tarts but can't get this tart thing the way I want. My wholesaler is patient.She knows I'm looking for the best replacement. I like the 416 throw etc but the tart won't come out of warmer easy.

This 416 my husband said is like is our 402 Soy.He knew right away it wouldn't work.Also the tarts seem sorta oily on top. The creme brulee would run you out of the house. That is the plus.

I know tarts must be remelted a little or else dug out but that's not what I think customers would like or what I like.I want a tart that just comes out of the container without left over

LynnS

• 4 weeks later...
I used pillar wax from AWE but they are out of business.Made a great tart. I checked the Candlemaker Store but can't seem to figure out what I want.Husband was looking too. I ordered 416 from Nature's Garden.Said it was a tart wax.Great throw with Creme Brulee.Really to strong IMO BUT I have to remelt or dig the tart out of the warmer or my glass votive I use to melt my tarts. Pillar wax will drop out of warmers etc without any leftover wax.No remelting or digging to melt another tart.

I have a wholesale order coming for candles, votives and tarts but can't get this tart thing the way I want. My wholesaler is patient.She knows I'm looking for the best replacement. I like the 416 throw etc but the tart won't come out of warmer easy.

This 416 my husband said is like is our 402 Soy.He knew right away it wouldn't work.Also the tarts seem sorta oily on top. The creme brulee would run you out of the house. That is the plus.

I know tarts must be remelted a little or else dug out but that's not what I think customers would like or what I like.I want a tart that just comes out of the container without left over

LynnS

I have testing the KY all natural pillar and votive wax and love it so far

I have not made any votives but the tarts are super strong and last for 2 full days at 1 ounce per pound- and no frost so far

It might be worth a 5 pound bag to try and see if this is what your looking for- they pop right out of my electric warmer dish

moonshine,I will get a 5 lb bag of pillar/votive I found what I want but the company is farther than KY.Shipping would have to be cheaper.

laurenscandlebakery, Yes that's what I want.No clean up or remelting to get the tart out of the burner.Costs more but works great.No clean-up

Thank You Everyone.