Business name feedback

I am no where near starting up. But, I found a name that I love. I registered the domain, Just in case it wasn't available if I decide to use it.

So, what do you all think of: Valiant August

I Love the meaning behind the words. But, my husbands argument is that it doesn't describe my products. My argument is that I make other products besides B&B, so I would not want something generic like kari's soap shop. My friends argument is valiant sounds too masculine, but I think nice loopy lettering would girl it up.

Input?

Hmmm.... I kind of agree that it sounds pretty masculine, but that might be a good thing. You could end up with lots of men buying soaps, if you also have "manly" scents. Personally, I don't know that the name would entice me to check out your site though. BUT... that's just MY opinion, and if the name resonates with you, then go with it!

Hmmm.... I kind of agree that it sounds pretty masculine, but that might be a good thing. You could end up with lots of men buying soaps, if you also have "manly" scents. Personally, I don't know that the name would entice me to check out your site though. BUT... that's just MY opinion, and if the name resonates with you, then go with it!

haha, my friend just said the same thing about the manly scents. Ya, I need to sit on it for a while. I am the type that likes off the wall names, but since not everyone is like that, it makes the name search difficult....that is why I am starting now :)

You can add a product description to the name, or as a subtitle, like "Valiant August Candle Creations," Or, Valiant August in big letters on top with small letters that say "Candle Creations" or something underneath. I really like the name "Valiant August," though.

It confuses me. Im not trying to be ugly, especially since my business name doesn't describe my products either but the registered name is A Black Tie Affair Creations , so that they they know its SOMETHING or other that I have probably made. I know a lot of people dont like my business name and Im good with that. But Valiant August sounds like a novel to me. Im sorry !!! But that's just what popped in my head when I read it. Please listen to your gut though. As much as we try to please our customers.. at the end of the day .. YOU have to be completely happy with it because you're the one going to have to print it on everything, see it every time you turn around, say it all the time, live with it, embrace it, and never get tired of it .. so if Valiant August does it for you.. GO for it !!!! I did, even when I was advised not to and I've never regretted it!

I agree with above posters. Sounds masculine and confusing. Maybe create a signature scent and make that you signature scent name of create a collection of things and name the collection Valiant August collection so you can still keep the name somewhere within your business.

It confuses me. Im not trying to be ugly, especially since my business name doesn't describe my products either but the registered name is A Black Tie Affair Creations , so that they they know its SOMETHING or other that I have probably made. I know a lot of people dont like my business name and Im good with that. But Valiant August sounds like a novel to me. Im sorry !!! But that's just what popped in my head when I read it. Please listen to your gut though. As much as we try to please our customers.. at the end of the day .. YOU have to be completely happy with it because you're the one going to have to print it on everything, see it every time you turn around, say it all the time, live with it, embrace it, and never get tired of it .. so if Valiant August does it for you.. GO for it !!!! I did, even when I was advised not to and I've never regretted it!

Don't be sorry! I NEED honest feedback!

When I started my cleaning business. It took my five minutes to come up with a name: Naturally Polished. Easy peasy.

This, however, is really giving me a headache. I have had a jewelry website, powder blue, but ended up hating that as well. I don't know why this is so hard for me :(

I will be incorporating my jewelry into the site, so I need a brand name that works duely.

I appreciate all of your responses!

If it helps.... I literally, no joke, had picked out 9 names I loved... but it took me three years before I ever TRULY started my business... so I said them all over and over again for three years, and this is the only one that fit on the most levels. Some were just wayyyy too country for me, some made no sense and had no direction, some would only work in the area I was living in at the time ( and I knew I'd be moving) , etc. This line started because of a desire to do more upscale products in quality and packaging but at a moderate price everyone could afford, so I needed something that was classic sounding. But my actual logo, is on the whimsical art deco 40's style, so it lightens it up a little. Business names to me, were the hardest thing to figure out. You need something that will showcase you and your personality, appeal to a variety of people, but also hone in on your overall theme ( in my opinion) .

Another thing which Im sure you already know.. make sure the name will work if you were to ever move, expand or detract from your current products whether it's the jewelry / candles / bnb/ whatever !

Edited by blacktieaffair

based on the name I wouldnt even look at what you have.

WOW, that is eye opening!

But, I have let customers go (in another business) that would NOT conform to my ways.

Hmm....it still does not make sense to me NOT to order from a company, based on their name. Look at the Beatles, odd name and most succesful band ever. IMO

Hmm....it still does not make sense to me NOT to order from a company, based on their name.

If I were looking for a particular item and did a search I won't say I wouldn't buy because of the name ... but I may skip over it and continue looking for a name that would at least give me a hint that what they are selling is what I'm looking for.

sounds like an alternative band name..

I could not agree more. However, I would have to personally see the products before I decided if I was going to purchase them or not. I never decide anything based on a name- unless it is flat out offensive. I can say that the name is not pushing me to see more.

I could not agree more. However, I would have to personally see the products before I decided if I was going to purchase them or not. I never decide anything based on a name- unless it is flat out offensive. I can say that the name is not pushing me to see more.

ah ha, this gives ME a better perspective.

I am thinking back to the drawing boards soon.

I like it. It's all about branding, and YOU making Valiant August becoming a household name. Isn't that what all of us want? Diptyque is an unusual name, right? I think if you want to use Valiant August as a multi purpose name, then I would suggest Valiant August Candles, Valiant August Soap, etc. I think it sounds cool.

I like it. It's all about branding, and YOU making Valiant August becoming a household name. Isn't that what all of us want? Diptyque is an unusual name, right? I think if you want to use Valiant August as a multi purpose name, then I would suggest Valiant August Candles, Valiant August Soap, etc. I think it sounds cool.

this. i agree with.

having lotion or soap in your product line description can be a boon. however, i would list off the popular bnb names that are household names, do they have candles, soap or lotion in the name? what does aveda (the name alone) tell you about the product? nothing. l*sh? nothing. YOU make the name, YOU make the products. YOU are the company. go with your gut.

Edited by iansmommaya

I've been giving this some more thought, and I have to revise my original answer. I think that the name is very distinct, and could stand out and be remembered easily. I shop at a lot of places that their name has nothing to do with what they sell- The Gap, Old Navy, Target. Plus, there are tons of brands that don't actually have anything to do with the items they produce- Guess, Apple, Fossil. I think it would take a lot more work to drive people to an online presence, than if you had a name that had 'candles' or 'soaps' in the name, but it could definitely be done.

This name does get people thinking! That is what I like about it :)

If you know the meaning, or not... It would mean brave and noble. I think that both of these words together describe me and my brand/product.

Great thoughts. I am still thinking about it. Like blacktieaffair said to repeat it everyday. It is still sticking.............

Silver, I have to tell my husband that! he will just die in laughter! Maybe I need to be in the business of naming characters :)