Calendula Infusion

Candybee

Is it better to infuse your olive oil with calendula or your distilled water? I wanted to infuse it in the water so I went ahead and added it. So when I make my soap this weekend the water should be just like a tea infusion.

Just got to wondering if either way made any difference in the final product? I'd rather not put it in my olive oil but will if its better to do. Thanks.

Calendula is supposed to have healing properties. Infuse rice bran, high oleic safflower,high oleic sunflower,almond oil or any other carrier oil you will only use a small amount in the recipe. That being said, I infused a pound of light evoo and use it in my small two pound log mold. I used about 3 or 4 oz of Caledula flower and then strew the top with petals. The whole flower is cheaper than the petals and the petals are pretty kwim?

When I have used calendula, I infused it in my oils. When I was ready to soap it, I strained it out. Once my soap was to light trace, I added about 1T ppo (of the oil infused calendula) back into the batch.

I tried to take out as much as possible because the stick blender chops it up pretty good. I sprinkled a few petals (dry) on top the soap once I was done making it. It turned out nice IMHO.

HTH

Edited by singleyellowrose
additional info

I fill a tea strainer full and continue to add as it soaks down. I'll remove that and add fresh as I use oil out of the pot. Its not unusual for people to triple infuse their oils. The light olive is a deep golden color now. I have large bags of just petals and whole flowers. I use the whole flower for the infusion. HTH

Steve

I do both too. I always have a calendula infusion sitting with olive oil and when I make my soap I throw petals in the hot lye water. I think it's one of the best flower/herb to put in soap, because it never browns and you really never get floating petals in your tub they seem to dissolve. Plus the scent coming from them in soap is lovely :)