Info on Colloidal Oatmeal

Candybee

I found this information interesting and wanted to share. Apparently you don't "make" colloidal oatmeal. Rather, it becomes "colloidal" when added to tepid water. I found this link when I was trying to figure out exactly what colloidal oatmeal was and if I could make it myself.

Here is a link I found some good info on colloidal oatmeal:

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/584277.html

So here is what I did. I took one cup of whole rolled oats; not instant, not the 5 minute kind, the basic old fashioned whole oats. I used Quaker Oats.

I then added the oatmeal to my blender. Mine is very powerful and can grind ice. I then ground the oatmeal for a full minute in my blender. Then I poured it into my flour sifter. I then sifted the ground oatmeal into a container and get finely ground oatmeal this way. What was left in the sifter I ran through the blender again and repeated the process until I had a full cup of finely ground oatmeal.

I am going to add this fine ground oatmeal to my soap recipe today. I hope it works. I'll let you know what kind of soap it makes and if its scratchy or not.

The whole grinding process took maybe 2-3 minutes. It was easy peasy. If you "pinch" the sifted oatmeal flour and rub it between your fingers it feels just like fine ground powder. I really like the texture and it smells and tastes good too. Just hope I get great oatmeal soap without that scratchy, lumpy, texture.

According to what it says about commercial colloidal oatmeal I'd much rather grind my own oatmeal into flour so I know its pure. I don't like the idea of all those additives. After reading that info I don't think I will ever use any Aveeno products. Sounds much better to make your own. Then you know its additive free.

According to what it says about commercial colloidal oatmeal I'd much rather grind my own oatmeal into flour so I know its pure. I don't like the idea of all those additives. After reading that info I don't think I will ever use any Aveeno products. Sounds much better to make your own. Then you know its additive free.

I'd grind it too, I think. Am looking for the soothing benefits of oatmeal not exfoliating to add to a few recipes sitting here waiting to be made.

Little by little I'm making my way toward additive free products made at home by myself and am finding I'm liking each one better than commercial type. So far laundry detergent, window cleaner, general cleaning, SFIC M&P and now the new fabric softener recipe listed. I used hair conditioner had at home to try it out but will be ordering the hair conditioner flakes. Next up is CP soap with castile being first on list so it can get curing. After that will be literally going down the list of your recipes with the M&P coming from the Co-Op.

Jeanie I made my first batch of castile (actually bastile) in January and already its a dreamy soap. Its really hard waiting for it to cure. But I like to take it out once in a while and wash my hands with it to see how it feels. Very luxurious! I did use 10% castor oil but that was deliberate.

Jeanie I made my first batch of castile (actually bastile) in January and already its a dreamy soap. Its really hard waiting for it to cure. But I like to take it out once in a while and wash my hands with it to see how it feels. Very luxurious! I did use 10% castor oil but that was deliberate.

I do remember reading when you posted making it. The cure time will drive me crazy which is why I thought I'd get that one done first and set out of sight to cure :)

Am really excited to get it made now that you report luxurious feel so soon. I'll start with all OO castile and then later on do a bastile type such as you did with caster to help the lather a bit. Also, plan to do a facial castile bar with skin benefiting additives....not sure if that would make it bastile.

Just waiting on a few more supplies and then I'll be able to get moving on them.

Thanks for the feedback on your bastile progress.

Good info :) I've never gotten the scratchies from oatmeal in soap, but I usually soak my oats in water first and pour off the oatmilk for the batch and then add my soaked oatmeal at trace so maybe that is why. Can't wait to hear your results!

soycrazy....do you then use your oatmilk as part of the water to mix the lye with or would that scald the oatmilk? Or do you add it for your ingredients in place of another milk such as GM? I haven't done lye yet but trying to figure this all out when using milks.

I don't use it in my lye mixture, I just use it as part of my water and add it at trace. I add the oatmilk and get it mixed in then I add the wet oats and make sure that is mixed in also. Now some people treat the oatmilk like regular milk and freeze it with the lye, but I've never done that and haven't had any issues with it so far the way I do it ;) I'm not sure if it would scald though.

Lovely that soap sounds wonderful!

Thanks for the tip on the oatmilk. (Puts on ever growing list of things to try in CP soap). I bet used as part of your liquid it really makes the soap nice.

I made a batch of OMH CP yesterday and used the finely ground and sifted oatmeal. Instead of oatmilk I made another coconut milk soap.

I am also wanting to try Silk Almond milk. I have also seen aloe juice for sale and thinking about trying that out sometime too. You know how some people look at different containers and think I can use that as a soap mold? Well I look at different ingredients when shopping and think I wonder if I can soap with that? LOL

I don't use it in my lye mixture, I just use it as part of my water and add it at trace. I add the oatmilk and get it mixed in then I add the wet oats and make sure that is mixed in also. Now some people treat the oatmilk like regular milk and freeze it with the lye, but I've never done that and haven't had any issues with it so far the way I do it ;) I'm not sure if it would scald though.

Lovely that soap sounds wonderful!

OK...That helps. I did freeze my GM after using it in M&P and planned to freeze all the milks once they are bought or made in larger sizes with powder so I can save bothering to mix the powder each batch. Buttermilk is the one it seems I'll end up using powder with. Since CM and GM are easily available in liquid form....is just so much easier...to me it seems.

Have read several posts where soapers are putting their milks in frozen but I'm scared to burn it and have waste. As time goes on I'll get this all figured out...hopefully :)

Thanks for the info :)

i have a great receipe for oatmeal soap that i used oatmeal milk and honey with. so creamy and lathers great. I need to find it and post it in the receipe area. i grinded my oatmeal up in my coffee bean grinder :) I made cold pour soap.

Jeanie I have been adding my milk in at trace. I chill it beforehand but don't freeze. Got the tip from AJ's GM recipe. So far I have tried it with coconut milk and it works great. I just halve my liquid so half is water for the lye solution and the other half is my milk.

BTW-- when I make my M&P soaps I make triple milk or "tres leche" soap using coconut milk, goat milk, and buttermilk. I use the canned gm and coconut milk. I sometimes use powdered buttermilk but found that the actual buttermilk makes much better soap. Anyway, I put equal amounts in my blender and mix them altogether. Then I pour what I don't use for the day into ice cube trays to freeze them until I need them again.

For CP I am only going to use fresh buttermilk-- if I try buttermilk. I do want to try my triple milk recipe but will use it as half my liquid and chill if first before adding at light trace.

i have a great receipe for oatmeal soap that i used oatmeal milk and honey with. so creamy and lathers great. I need to find it and post it in the receipe area. i grinded my oatmeal up in my coffee bean grinder :) I made cold pour soap.

I still haven't mastered honey I always get separation I need to brave it and try another go at it.

That helps...thanks Candybee. I was getting confused on whether all liquid should be used to make the lye solution or if it could be halved. That will help me get started by adding at trace for the milks and when I get more experienced can learn other times to add the milks. I do think I'll be putting milks in most soaps so this was something that was bothering me and surely didn't want to ruin one of my early batches and get discouraged.

If I can find buttermilk already liquid at the grocery store, I'd definitely buy it over powdered and just freeze it as I plan on doing with GM and CM. Powder sounds nice for storage and all but I've read where we really have to stir and stir to be very careful not to have undissolved particles in the liquid.

I've seen and probably printed a M&P recipe with all three milks. If you put it on the M&P recipe list then that is the one I have :)

Edited by jeanie353

So let me see if I got this right. Lets say your recipe needs 4ozlye to 10 oz of water. You make the lye solution 4 oz of lye with 5oz oz water. Then at trace you add the 5oz of milk that then =10? If that right I must try this. Do you put your mold in the frig too? I read something about that.

If I can find buttermilk already liquid at the grocery store, I'd definitely buy it over powdered and just freeze it as I plan on doing with GM and CM. Powder sounds nice for storage and all but I've read where we really have to stir and stir to be very careful not to have undissolved particles in the liquid.

Powdered is easy you just make a slurry with it and add it at trace, easy peasy :)

So let me see if I got this right. Lets say your recipe needs 4ozlye to 10 oz of water. You make the lye solution 4 oz of lye with 5oz oz water. Then at trace you add the 5oz of milk that then =10? If that right I must try this. Do you put your mold in the frig too? I read something about that.

You are correct :) I've never put my mold in the frig, but if you don't want it to gel it might help with that