M&P question

mzphee

I can vouch for the idea that Micas aren't working well in CP soap. All the ones I've tried recently have not stood up to the pH factor. I'm on to working with Oxides for a while because of being so frustrated. I used micas on my M&P hearts I posted last night, absolutely no problems, worked beautifully. I can't say about any of the others yet.

I use micas and oxides for MP. From what I read, the micas don't blend IN the wax like dyes do, they kinda float around. They will color it yes, but not as thoroughly as the others.. they add shimmer, but the particles you see aren't bonded with the wax particles. Gels I thought were used for CP but like Janet, I haven't used them or looked into them yet. Im having another trouble buying micas and oxides LOL

It's been about 2 years since I made any CP soap. But I always used micas and mixed it with a little bit of glycerin. I usually used liquid dye for M&P that I bought at NG but if I didn't have the liquid color that I wanted, I did use micas. I think a lot of CP soapers use micas. My first batch came from a kit I bought from a lady in GA and she suggested if I wanted to color my soaps to use micas. Hopefully, more soapers will post and be able to help both of you more than I can.

Micas mixed in M&P can sometimes be troublesome by leaving specs or being difficult to fully incorporated into your melted base. To fix this either premix them in glycerin like Kitn suggested or do what I do. I premix my mica in a small amount of melted base before adding the rest of my base.

I really love the intense colors I get from using Micas in M&P. You just have to find what works for you in getting them to thoroughly blend into your base.

I have only been using my POP micas in CP. So far I don't have a lot of experience with them. I have found that depending on my recipe sometimes they work well and other times they don't. So I am going to start looking for oil soluble colors designed for CP and use only those micas that work well in certain recipes.