Cream Soap Help

soycrazy

I got the itch to try some of of snowdrift farms cream soap. I beat it into submission to make sure if didn't separate it was fine for over a week until yesterday I noticed it had separated. Cream on top and clear liquid soap on the bottom. Has anyone had this problem? Every time I mix it back in it separates. TIA

I got the itch to try some of of snowdrift farms cream soap. I beat it into submission to make sure if didn't separate it was fine for over a week until yesterday I noticed it had separated. Cream on top and clear liquid soap on the bottom. Has anyone had this problem? Every time I mix it back in it separates. TIA

Kind of strange. It seems as if you have a "separated emulsion" problem. I am familiar with O/W emulsions but didn't think a soap, which is a surfactant, would do that. Maybe you could try adding an emulsifier such as stearic acid? You would need to raise the temp to about 50 degrees to melt the stearic, combine, blend with a stick blender. I'm not sure how much you would need, try 5%.

This stuff has a mind of it's own. A couple weeks ago I added glycerin to it and whipped it up. It was fine for a day or 2 then liquid soap separated from it again. Then several days ago I whipped it up again and turned out amazing. Put it in a bottle several hours later it separated again lol, but less. So now here we are and a couple days ago I noticed it started to stiffen up more in the bottle which is annoying, but at least no separation. I'll let it sit for a while and see how it goes. After all this trouble I want to go at it again & make more lol

Edited by soycrazy

No stearic acid, because It is already super thick, almost too hard to squeeze through a tube. I might try to loosen it up more though. I have another recipe I'm going to try that should be looser for bottles. I love experimenting esp with cream soap it's so much fun!