Candle broke on warmer.

Hello. I'm freaking out a little over here. One of the people that help me to test the scent of my candles had one of them on a candle warmer and the glass broke. Wax got everywhere. The jars I use are from CS so they are supposed to be made to use for candles. Any idea why this happened. During testing I have tortured them to absolute death and never had this happen. Is the glass not suitable for candle warmers? This is really discouraging and I am not sure if I should just give up because of the risks involved. :cry2::cry2::cry2:It is making me nervous.

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions as to why it happened. I'm sure this is not a reused over and over container that you had someone testing so I wouldn't think that would be the cause. But I have used candles on warmers many many times and never had one break. I have a lady that gets her candles without wicks for the purpose of only using them on the warmers and she's not had one break either and she buys them by the case. Maybe someone will be able to give you an idea of what happened and why.

Sorry I can't offer any suggestions as to why it happened. I'm sure this is not a reused over and over container that you had someone testing so I wouldn't think that would be the cause. But I have used candles on warmers many many times and never had one break. I have a lady that gets her candles without wicks for the purpose of only using them on the warmers and she's not had one break either and she buys them by the case. Maybe someone will be able to give you an idea of what happened and why.

No, brand new glass.

Not too sure either what might have happened, but I have had a yank** candle do that on a warmer. I thought it could have been one of 2 things at the time. 1) It was from me heating, then cooling, then heating etc etc causing stress on the glass. Or 2) it just happened to be a faulty container that slipped through inspection.

Sorry to here it happened to you and your friend!!

From what I'm reading I get the feeling that you are making melts (not candles) in these glass jars, is that right?

If thats what you're asking my answer is No - I don't make melts in glass. On the hot plate type of warmer I use ceramic bowls.

From what I'm reading I get the feeling that you are making melts (not candles) in these glass jars, is that right?

If thats what you're asking my answer is No - I don't make melts in glass. On the hot plate type of warmer I use ceramic bowls.

I think she's making candles but her scent tester put the candle on a warmer instead of burning it. I've had customers tell me they do the same thing with my jars.

How big was the jar, and what kind of wax do you use? If the jar was a tall one, and the wax was paraffin or palm (double pours) what likely happened was the bottom of the jar was melted, it expanded, the top wax held steady until the glass gave out. It can obviously happen with single pours too but it usually doesn't.

To get around this candlewarmers.com has a punch that looks like an apple corer, and they take a circle of wax out of the candles so the pressure doesn't build.

If this was not the case I don't know what was going on, I've never seen a candle break on a warmer.

I melt most of my testers back down on a warmer plate (unless I'm melting a bunch at a time). The jars have been used over for testing so many times I couldn't even count but have not had any break or crack.

Also, the jars I am using are not certified ASTM and are from TCMS. I can only think that possibly there was a fluke with that particular batch of glassware or maybe just contained to the case or even that one particular jar.

I would contact CS. They are one of the few out there who do state on the site their glassware is candle safe with the certification. I'm not saying the certification is any sort of guarantee they won't break due to the guidelines of testing being sorta not so stringent but that is another topic.

Edit to add: Just remembered during the holidays I had put a few of my container candles on warmer plates in the LR and kitchen to keep a fragrance going without a flame. They sat anywhere from mid morning to mid evening without any problems.

Edited by jeanie353

To get around this candlewarmers.com has a punch that looks like an apple corer, and they take a circle of wax out of the candles so the pressure doesn't build.

I've been wondering what those were for. Makes sense to me. Thanks for posting that bit of info.

Thanks to everyone that responded. I called CS and they were not helpful and seemed uninterested. I was thinking that that damage could have occurred in transfer. I gave them to her over Christmas and they were put in bags with other things. I guess that is why everyone says to GET INSURANCE before selling candle #1.

It could have been there the whole time and was unnoticed. I've had just a few jars over the years that had a scratch or a small hairline crack in them. They were washed and wicked without seeing them until I poured the wax, then I noticed it. I kept those few for myself just in case they would break, it would happen to me and not a customer. I've not had any of them break though.

Who's to say that a crack didn't occur in transit or someone in the house could have dropped it or knocked it over without your tester knowing. If there are kids around, they could have done it and we know they aren't gonna run and tell you I knocked your candle over when I was not supposed to be throwing the ball in the house. Just a thought.

One jar breaking in a warmer or burning doesn't seem like a big deal. Now 5 jars breaking in a batch you bought seems like their might be a problem. I have had a jar in a mason jar on a candle warmer for over three months, 24/7 and it still throws. I've read a wicked jar should not be used in a warmer, the metal gets too hot. But nothing has ever happened to ones I've used.

Customers do what they want with your product, as is their right. Just make sure that you never give a customer a reason to believe that your product is intended for anything but a candle and discourage use of the jar as a warming device. I won't even make wickless upon request by explaining that there are different waxes for different applications. Container wax in a container is for burning only. Did you test your product in a warmer before offering it to someone to test? Unless CS stated that these jars were ok for warmers, then they have no horse in this race. JMO

Steve

Heating a glass container of wax from the bottom is never really a good idea. Wax expands as it liquefies, and if the top half of the candle stays solid, the melted wax has no where to fit...

Sure, we get away with it most of the time, but physics really is a bitch.

Love CandleWarmer's top-down melters. Much safer.