presto pot

I might catch it for this, or at least get some eyebrows raised, but am I the only one that uses a ladle and measuring up to measure and weigh the wax, and just covers both up really well at night and never washes it? Im dipping out 1/2 and 1 lb batches at a time, sometimes 2 or 3, but, I dip out into my measuring cup sitting on my scale, then put it in my "mix pot" where I mix the scent and dye, and then do tps... or if Im just doing melts, I just dip into the measuring glass, scent and pour then clean? I just dont ever clean the cup that I measure wax into to weigh it nor the ladle when doing tps, since they never touch scent nor wax, I never saw the sense in washing them up. I dont see that Im having to wash anything more a day than the ones that use a spigot. .

I don't see where you are either. But even if you were it would be ok since its your system, in your work area making your tarts. :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might catch it for this, or at least get some eyebrows raised, but am I the only one that uses a ladle and measuring up to measure and weigh the wax, and just covers both up really well at night and never washes it? Im dipping out 1/2 and 1 lb batches at a time, sometimes 2 or 3, but, I dip out into my measuring cup sitting on my scale, then put it in my "mix pot" where I mix the scent and dye, and then do tps... or if Im just doing melts, I just dip into the measuring glass, scent and pour then clean? I just dont ever clean the cup that I measure wax into to weigh it nor the ladle when doing tps, since they never touch scent nor wax, I never saw the sense in washing them up. I dont see that Im having to wash anything more a day than the ones that use a spigot. .

There are many people on the board that use the ladle method. It's just not for me though. Seems like an extra step to me. I make by batches so what I'm making at the time I use all the wax in the pot so using a ladle just seems pointless to me. I can see where some people would use it if they weren't using all the wax in the pot, but even then to me I'd rather run out what I needed through the spigot. Just my preference of doing things though. I don't really clean it everytime. When I'm done making for the day, I just wipe it out with paper towels. Now if I do bears, yes I clean it since the scent and bear was in the pot with the wax.

Pleasureridge, I would do the same if I were like you and making big batches! Lord that would be a lot of wasted time to do it the other way huh?LOL Even with my teddys , I put that wax in another saucepan and dip him there so I dont have to ever worry about changing scents out of the presto, but then yet again, I might do 4 teddys at a time and not do anymore for a month or more. In other words lol I just don't make on the scale yall do LOL!

My only gripe is the stupid teflon coating. Has anybody ever attempted to scour the pot down to the metal? Those things use to be $20.00 in wally world. I only use mine now to keep my palm oil in and have a turkey fryer with spout (put my spout on the presto myself, no big whoop). HTH

Steve

I agree about the coating, Steve. I pour through a tea strainer and it filters out all the specks, but I really wish it wasn't even there.

I might catch it for this, or at least get some eyebrows raised, but am I the only one that uses a ladle
Nope. I've had spigots on other similar appliances and I don't want one. I ladle over the pot to avoid slopping wax all over everything the same way one would do when ladling soup out of a pot. Totally easy, no drips and no holes in my Presto. Edited by Stella1952

Question on the Teflon flaking. Is it just coming off on its on, or do yall use utensils in it? So far, knock on wood, I haven't had any of the six I've had or have, flake at all ! And as for the "used to be 20.00", yeah , kinda freaked me out when I went back to WM to replace all my stuff I lost in the fire, that they were near to 30.00 :o Needless to say I walked out with one instead of the three I went for LOL

Ok another dumb question : Could the flaking possibly somehow be related to the fact yall drilled holes in it, therefore compromising the teflon coating, and weakening it? And on the bottom where the element is, it gets hot enough to lift that up ?

Edited by blacktieaffair

I use a plastic slotted spoon and don't know that drilling a hole is responsible. It looks like any other teflon product that has been reheated numerous times and eventually begins to flake off. Only the very bottom has flaked away, the rest of the pot is like brand new.

Steve

Lots of theories about where the specks originate have been offered in previous discussions. I never use metal utensils on a non-stick surface, so it isn't that. It's just a cheap coating job. I have a Presto that I use for food cooking, purchased at the same time as the rest, and it looks terrible!! The candle Prestos are in much better shape, probably due to the lower temps used in making candles vs. cooking. I don't worry much about where the specks originate, I just filter the wax as I pour and that catches the specks and any other flotsom that has found its way into the wax. Very easy and effective solution.

And on the bottom where the element is, it gets hot enough to lift that up ?
Not sure what you mean - the element is on/off. When it is on, it heats far in excess of the temp set on the thermostat then shuts off when the average temp of the contents is reached. The teflon coating failure is worse on the bottom than up the sides, but not necessarily right over the element.

BTW, Presto DOES make a stainless steel version of their multi-cooker Kitchen Kettle, but, as I recall, is very pricy...

Goodman's has it for $65.99 http://www.goodmans.net/d/1001/presto-multi-cookers.htm Have seen it as low as around $55...

06020_72.jpg

Edited by Stella1952

Does anyone have the stainless steel presto pot? It's only $52 on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Presto-6020-Electric-Multi-Cooker-Stainless/dp/B0017UQB3C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328298153&sr=8-3

I think I'd prefer stainless steel to Teflon anyways, just in case it does start to flake in the future. But I'm curious has anyone tried that one?

Edited by sakuraserra

A plain unadulterated Presto Pot can be found at WalMart for $28. I make a lot of smaller batches so I just use mine to melt and store the base wax. Modifications are done in the pour pot.

what do you transfer the wax to? a metal pour pot or glass measuring cup? if so, do you warm that container before transferring the wax? I tried my Presto Pot for the first time recently, but had some issues because of the wax cooling significantly as soon as it hit the new container.

what do you transfer the wax to? a metal pour pot or glass measuring cup? if so, do you warm that container before transferring the wax? I tried my Presto Pot for the first time recently, but had some issues because of the wax cooling significantly as soon as it hit the new container.

I transfer from the presto to a glass measuring cup. It's one of the bigger ones. It's either 2 or 4 quarts. I've gotten them from Walmart and Meijer (Anchoring Hocking and Pyrex brands). I don't warm it just room temp. The wax doesn't cool that much from the time it's transferred to the glass container since I don't ladle, I use the spigot.

Does anyone have the stainless steel presto pot? It's only $52 on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Presto-6020-Electric-Multi-Cooker-Stainless/dp/B0017UQB3C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328298153&sr=8-3

I think I'd prefer stainless steel to Teflon anyways, just in case it does start to flake in the future. But I'm curious has anyone tried that one?

I'm curious to see if anyone has tried that also. Hmmm may have to get one and try myself. Just what I need, something else to buy. :)

I transfer my wax into a metal pouring pot & it goes right into a pan of hot water on the burner and keep the temp where I want it while I'm mixing the FO & dyes then remove from pan, cool & pour.

Same here in the past ( I dont do it that way now only because I dont have a stove handy anymore in my work area and my landlord is so persnickity, Im scared to walk through the house with it because I trip and fall alot , all I need is to ruin the carpets.. that crazy man wont even let us hang things on the wall ) .. but I did used to do it like Pam and others said.

I weigh out wax I'm going to be needing, toss in the Presto, heat to 185, add dye, FO. stir, spigot into the pour pot, then pour into containers. Wipe down with paper towels and am good to go for next time.

I do use multiple burners and pour pots when doing pillars.

I've been using the same presto for 6yrs and have never had any teflon break loose.

My oldest one is about 8 years and I have had little bits of teflon break loose starting back a couple years ago. The good thing is once it began to break loose it never peeled...just little spots here and there. They are easily seen in the wax before the dye goes in and can be gotten with the spoon. It was like a spot here or there over the course of a couple years.