Why does Dr. Bronner call his soap castile?

Candybee

Because he can. There is no standard of identity for Castile soap in the US. Which is good because technically it means 100% olive oil made in Castile Spain.

We tend to reserve the term for 100% olive oil soaps but some use it for mostly olive oil soaps, and some (Dr Bronners) use it for any soap that is all vegetable oils.

Marketing. Sales. Castile sounds so much much more exotic than coconut, palm and olive oil soap.

I personally reserve the name for 100% OO, but know plenty of people that use the term to mean it contains OO in any amount. Chaps my arse a little actually.

In my mind castile is 100% OO, it irks me that others call all manner of oils soaps castile.

Ditto. Anything that is mostly olive oil, I call bastile. If it's the 4th ingredient, that's too much of a stretch for any kind of ___ile....

It also irks me when people call soap "french milled" or "milled" when it's rebatched and not milled at all. The french milled process is beyond the abilities of a home soap maker unless one has all that rolling and crushing equipment in the spare room...

The first ingredient listed on his baby soap is coconut oil. Olive oil is the 4th ingredient listed. The ingredients list reads like a basic soap formula.

I did not read the back of the wrappers and have tossed them. I wanted the mildest possible soap in a bar to grate and found that isn't what I now got? Thanks Candybee for putting this post up. I was so confident in Dr Bonner's name that...as I said...didn't even read the wrapper.

I did not read the back of the wrappers and have tossed them. I wanted the mildest possible soap in a bar to grate and found that isn't what I now got? Thanks Candybee for putting this post up. I was so confident in Dr Bonner's name that...as I said...didn't even read the wrapper.

Here's the baby-mild bar soap ingredient list:

INGREDIENTS:

Organic Coconut Oil*, Organic Palm Oil*, Sodium Hydroxide**, Water, Organic Olive Oil*, Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Salt, Citric Acid, Tocopherol

Dictionary website has castile as a few things, including:

-Also called Castile soap . a variety of mild soap, made from olive oil and sodium hydroxide.

-Any hard soap made from fats and oils, often partly from olive oil.

Here's the baby-mild bar soap ingredient list:

INGREDIENTS:

Organic Coconut Oil*, Organic Palm Oil*, Sodium Hydroxide**, Water, Organic Olive Oil*, Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Salt, Citric Acid, Tocopherol

-Also called Castile soap . a variety of mild soap, made from olive oil and sodium hydroxide.

So it has more lye than OO? Is that normal with CP soap? I haven't the slightest clue since I haven't done CP yet. It appears it has more CO & PO than OO. I thought castille/bastille both had to have the majority OO to be given either name. This is what I thought I understood it at:

Pure castile is made from all OO and lye (water too?)

Bastile is mainly OO with a smaller amount of another oil or oils (water too?)

Edited by jeanie353

Castile/bastile refers to the amount of olive oil in the soap vs. other oils. Lye, water (or other liquid) has no bearing on this designation. Oils only.

This is a traditional soap making term that may not be covered in an online dictionary. CB said it best in reply #2 above.

Edited by Stella1952

So it has more lye than OO? Is that normal with CP soap? I haven't the slightest clue since I haven't done CP yet. It appears it has more CO & PO than OO. I thought castille/bastille both had to have the majority OO to be given either name. This is what I thought I understood it at:

Pure castile is made from all OO and lye (water too?)

Bastile is mainly OO with a smaller amount of another oil or oils (water too?)

Here's a snippet I cut off earlier, hth. I'm not a soaper like y'all, so I don't even know what it means, lol.

INGREDIENTS:

* CERTIFIED FAIR TRADE INGREDIENTS

** None remains after saponifying oils into soap and glycerin

"

Here's a snippet I cut off earlier, hth. I'm not a soaper like y'all, so I don't even know what it means, lol.

INGREDIENTS:

* CERTIFIED FAIR TRADE INGREDIENTS

** None remains after saponifying oils into soap and glycerin

"

Alrighty then....Noticed reading so many recipes that lye was low as an ingredient. I didn't know it disappeared. Just thought it turned into something no longer caustic after saponifying. And ASSumed Dr. Bonner's called castile the stuff with only OO in it rather than what soaper's sometimes refer to as bastile.

Edited by jeanie353

It also irks me when people call soap "french milled" or "milled" when it's rebatched and not milled at all. The french milled process is beyond the abilities of a home soap maker unless one has all that rolling and crushing equipment in the spare room...

Okay, I just got the picture of Medieval Spanish Inquisition torture devises in the spare room.........