I don't understand

I have made palm pillars a hundred times before and had absolutely no problem with them. the literally fall out of the mold..and have a wonderful crystal structure.

now.. they will not demold.. no matter what... freezer.. fridge... nothing.

they have no crystal structure. I did everything exactly the same, brought temp up to 195 added stearic at 1 1/2 Tablespoons per lb, added scent, added dye, preheated molds, used mold release, poured.

three tests now and all the same.

oh, I did use 8% scent.. can hold up to 10 it says... so I lowered that to 6 % on one test and still didn't crystalize or release.

and just for info.. my room temperature is 76 degrees.

any suggestions.. or tips I can try would be heaven sent.

thanks and Merry Christmas!

daisy fairy

Sorry for the delay.. I was trying to figure this all out.. for an order I have coming up.. and so I only slept two hours last night.. then got up and started testing again.. so I took a nap a bit ago.. about another 2 hours. I have since called the person and told them the order would have to be delayed .. I really hate that.. I have used this wax a lot and never had a problem. ..

In reply... lol...

The supplier instructed to add 5% stearic to the palm votive pillar blend. however his written sheet says 1 and 1/2 tablespoons per pound.

he didn't really say why.. I am assuming now that it is for mold release... but it could be also to raise the melt temp of the wax... they sell two palm waxes, one for container and one for votive/pillar. Both have the same mp and both have the same flash point but you are instrusted to use stearic with the votive pillar blend. So I was thinking maybe it was the same wax and the stearic was to change the mp..and help with release in mold?

I know you can add stearic to a low melt point votive parriffin wax and raise the melt point enough to use it for pillars... so that may be part of it also

I am still fighting. haha ... I started a test with a votive (single) no additives whatsoever.. and ... the results are no crystal structure... same pour temp, same room temp, preheated mold... did get it out of the mold though..

I am now starting a votive test with 5% by weight stearic.. (which would be more than 1 1/2 TBSP per lb)... to see what that does.

I am glad to know it doesn't seem like I am doing anything stupid or anything... and this IS coincidentally a new 10 pound bag of palm wax.. just received last friday. .. the other bag did not do this. ???? so maybe it is a mix up.

I think this will be my last test till I call the supplier unless any of you know anything I can try..... I am starting to get frustrated and angry.. and just wasting too much wax. haha

but if any of you can think of something.. I will be glad to give it a try. :)

DaisyFairy

Thanks for the advice satinducky.. I thought about which forum after I had posted and did a head slap. lol! So I posted it in the vegetable wax forum earlier this after noon also.... still no responses there yet.. but still waiting.

I guess more people will see it though :) ... sorry bout that.. This is the only natural wax candle I make.. so I am used to posting in here. haha.

daisy fairy

I bought some palm wax to test out, and I was basically told that you have to have the stearic. I heard it's nearly impossible to remove palm from the molds without it.

I haven't made any candles with it yet, but my palm stearic says: 5% will aid mold release; 10%-30% will impart opacity.

Also, both my palm waxes say 5% fragrance capacity.

Are you allowing them to cool slowly? I hear that has a big impact on the crystalizing.

well, I am just air cooling.. in the kitchen where I make them.. but the temp in the room is around 75-76 degrees.. same as it always is, and I have never had a problem with any previous batches. I did a test with 5% stearic by weight and the supplier recommended 1 1/2 Tbsp. per pound and one without stearic at all... same results on all of them.

I have tried no scent and then two different scents. I dunno... I am gonna test more tomorrow... I will try pouring cooler to test to see if they accidently sent me the container palm. if there is a difference that way. Their container palm says to pour at 185 and the pillar says to pour at 195.. so I will see what that does.

I know they have always worked very well before the way I am doing it now. I haven't changed anything.. even started completely over once in case I had a brain hiccup and did something wrong.. still the same. This is my second batch of palm wax to go through.. the first worked beautifully and was a very easy wax to use.... with wonderful throw.

actually tried one with a lower percentage of scent and got pretty much the same results. no crystals.. no release...

Daisy Fairy

I've used Palm wax many times and have never added stearic to it. It seems very odd that they are suggesting it's use. Did you use stearic with the previous bag of Palm wax that you got? It seems as though your doing everything right from what you told us so I'm leaning towards maybe you may have gotten a mislabeled bag of wax.

Yes I always used stearic with it ... when I bought the first bag they told me to use stearic with it and gave an instructional sheet with it that said to use 1 1/2 tbsp per pound.

The first batch (bag) I bought I used the same amount of stearic.. same temps.. everything and they came out perfect. ???

they are still closed tomorrow.. so will be tuesday till I can call.. so i figured I will try one last time.. pouring at 185 instead.. just to see if crystals form.. since that is the temp they say to pour the container palm at.

I dunno...

daisyfairy

Try covering your mold to cool slower. In order to make the palm wax crystalize, you have to cool very slowly. The crystal patterns are caused by the molecule strings lining up. If it cools too quickly they won't line up. Just try a batch cooling in a box, or covered by a towel. I use a 16x16 tile and heat it and my votives molds with the heat gun, then pour and cover with a towel. It sets very slowly and always has a great pattern. I understand that your kitchen temp hasn't changed but try to cool them slower and maintain your relief holes even in votives.

hth

ok, I will try that too. thanks.

I always preheat my molds and pour pot in the oven and use presto pot to melt wax. I preheat the pour pot to try to prevent rapid temperature dipping.. but I will cover them with a towel or box and give that a try.. can't hurt and I am willing to try anything. :)

thank you

DaisyFairy

I actually use a "palm steric acid" and not just regualar s.a I believe there is a different or at least , I was told this by Candlewic that there is a difference. I am on vacation so don't have all my information here. I have just been in the testing phase of this and actually havent sold any.. I may be off on my figures so bear with me.

I have noticed that no matter how much I weigh out on this in the beginning, it isnt what it comes out to be.. I usually use a 4 lb pour pot and basically make enough to fill up the whole pot . I use about 1 cup of the palm steric acid and it has worked wonderful for me.

Now- I thought - what if I put more of the palm steric acid in.. ( just was messing around one day) and found that it was way too much. I think I put a cup and half and within an hour, i could take everything out of its molds. Knew that was too much.. Anyways- I may be off a little , but trying to go on memory. I will be back on the 3rd or 4th of Jan and I can post my exact figures on this testing. I think I have it done to the right formula.. Wicking is one I am still working on too. I think I found my perfect wick for the pillar but still working on the votives

Christina

I have used palm wax for years and they fly out of the mold but I have read where other people are having the same problem. Candlewic does say to add the stearic for easier mold release but I have never needed it. I pour into the pour pot at 225,add color and fo and then pour at 200 into slightly warmed molds (only if it's cold in my work room) and I take them out while the wax is still warm. Especially if I'm using the two piece plastic molds. Try calling your supplier. They may have shipped you container palm by mistake. Oh and I have also on occasion used up to 2 oz fo per lb. without any problems at all. I know it can be very frustating when something suddenly doesn't work which leads me to believe it's a change in your wax.

thank you.. that is what I am thinking.. I have ran tests again today... pouring cooler (185), pouring same and cooling under a box, and added a little more stearic (had already tried no stearic and less).

more stearic killed the effect completely, am still waiting on the other two to cool.. This is the second batch of this wax I have used and like you the other batch just fell out of the mold and were beautiful and very easy to make and use.. 8% scent not a problem. So I am tending to think now it is the wax.

my supplier is closed till tomorrow and so I will call tomorrow and see if they can help.

thank you so much for all your help guys!

DaisyFairy