What the heck happened?

I made this candle in a 16oz embossed mason jar and filled it with para/soy blend 4630/464

The diamter is about 2.5" with a 44z, scent, pumpkin cinnabun.

This is the same blend I use in the Libby Rocks tumblers and never had this issue, which leads me to believe there is something with the shape of the jar that may be trapping air when it cools down? :confused:

Would love your opinions. :smiley2:post-4600-139458492647_thumb.jpg

Looks like it HAD to be an air pocket. That happened to me one time using a jelly jar. It's been years ago and I don't remember the wick or size that I used but I DO remember the candle was white. I lit the candle and within minutes it tunneled straight down the middle. I had poured in the regulary jelly jars MANY times and never had it happen before. Now I use the shouldered jelly jars from Fillmore and haven't had it happen. When I was using the Perfect Blend from KY...after it changed to New Perfect Blend I had to use my heat gun because I would get air pockets close to the top. I tried every hint that Vic gave me and nothing helped. That's when I switched to CBL130 from Candlewic and didn't have a problem with any air pockets with this wax.

I agree with Maggie . .looks like an air pocket got trapped. I have used those jars in the past with the 4630/464 blend and I after pouring I would wiggle the wick to move any trapped air or slam them gently on my workbench to bring bubbles to the top since the jar is taller than it is wide.

Wow! That is bizarre! You have way more experience than I do, but I would've thought the 51 zinc is the right size for that jar. Have you made candles in this jar before?

Yes, that is the crazy thing about it, I have made candles before in this jar and they were fine. This happened to the last two I made. I tested a 51z in this jar and it got way to hot on the second half of burn, so dropped down to the 44z.

Yes, that is the crazy thing about it, I have made candles before in this jar and they were fine. This happened to the last two I made. I tested a 51z in this jar and it got way to hot on the second half of burn, so dropped down to the 44z.

Interesting. Maybe you're right about it being your new batch of wax causing the problem. Or... Maybe that's a hard jar to wick, aren't mason jars usually 3-1/2" instead of 2-1/2"? The reason I ask is because the candle shop owner, who taught me to make candles with parasoy told me she only used the 44 zinc for 1" dia. votive jars, and your 44 zinc made a 1" diameter hole in your parasoy, which fits with what she said. So, if you need to use a bigger wick, but that jar overheats with a bigger wick, maybe the wider masons would work better.

Edited by HorsescentS

All of the possibilities post here can cause what is shown in the picture, so it's going to be hard to pin point it. I'll just mention my recent experience in which some heavier FO caused me to have to wick up 2 sized to get a decent burn. However, the candle took forever to get to that point because of the weak burn. If the results shown in the picture happened quickly, then an air pocket seems to be the best fit answer.

All of the possibilities post here can cause what is shown in the picture, so it's going to be hard to pin point it. I'll just mention my recent experience in which some heavier FO caused me to have to wick up 2 sized to get a decent burn. However, the candle took forever to get to that point because of the weak burn. If the results shown in the picture happened quickly, then an air pocket seems to be the best fit answer.

I was thinking the same thing - a big air pocket. Look at how much wick is left. Scary!

Thanks everyone, I'm definitely thinking its an air pocket. It burned down in about 3 seconds once it hit a certain point. I'm going to put these jars aside for now till I can figure out what is causing that. I hate to pick on soy but I think it might have something to do with the soy portion of the blend, but who knows...lol

@HorsecentS...it was a 44-32-18, these worked best, especially in the second half of the burn. I just measured again and I'm getting a 2.5" diameter.

Oh well, just another crazy day in the world of wax...lol

With this blend I threw a box over the ones I made to slow down the cooling process in the 8 oz. sq. masons. I don't have to do that in the tumblers. With the few scents I tried, LX 16 did the best.

Been using the square masons for a while now with C3 and plain 464 and always cool with a box over them to avoid air pockets. Partly my fault because I pour too high into the neck of the jar but I don't like to have a space between the lid and where the candle starts. If I don't cool them under a box I do get air pockets sometimes and that is a pain so I just use the box the jars came in and cool them under that. Haven't had anymore issues with air pockets in these jars since then. This worked with the 16 oz. square mason jars also.

With this blend I threw a box over the ones I made to slow down the cooling process in the 8 oz. sq. masons. I don't have to do that in the tumblers. With the few scents I tried, LX 16 did the best.

Been using the square masons for a while now with C3 and plain 464 and always cool with a box over them to avoid air pockets. Partly my fault because I pour too high into the neck of the jar but I don't like to have a space between the lid and where the candle starts. If I don't cool them under a box I do get air pockets sometimes and that is a pain so I just use the box the jars came in and cool them under that. Haven't had anymore issues with air pockets in these jars since then. This worked with the 16 oz. square mason jars also.

Thanks Debbie, that is a good point, I noticed the ones that did have the air pockets I poured up into the neck of the jar, so that could be another factor to consider.