Major Frosting Issues - Almost ready to throw in the towel

Hi All,

I have been making candles for a little while now and I keep coming across the same issue - frosting. From time to time I may have wetspots or lumpy tops however I cannot avoid frosting in EVERY candle I make and I am now at the point where I have tried many ways yet none seem to have any effect on the outcome.

I am using GW464 and I have not used any additives.

I am pleading to those who are experienced candle makers to give me some advice as I am at my wits end researching the internet yet still failing.

Thanks

Anna

I used to use 464 and stopped using it due to the frosting issues. I did everything under the sun that people have suggested to help with frosting and if they didn't

frost while setting up they would eventually. I had some that were perfect looking, boxed them up and kept them in a room where I could somewhat control the temp and guess what after a week I looked at them and everyone had frosted. This wax is going to frost. The only way to keep it from getting the ugly frosting is to not use any color. I found that some colors and FO's frosted more so than others or more quickly than others. Not coloring was not an option for me. There are many out there that don't color for various reasons and no offense to those that do, I just don't care for the non colored look. It's too plain for me and imo doesn't give a standout presentation when you have them setup at shows. That's my personal preference though. Even if you could get them to not frost, you can't control the temps and climates they will come across when shipped and rec'd by a customer. If they are perfect when shipped out, and sit on trucks in cold temps by the time they reach the customer they will have frosted. You can try a search for that wax on here and find alot of posts regarding this wax and frosting. Good luck!!

Edited by pleasureridgecandles

I briefly used 464 and if Ihad stayed with that wax, I wouldve chosen to not color them. I went with C3 instead (no frosting, great ht), that being said...have you tried tempering or seeding the wax and adding USA to it? I believe 464 contains 2% USA but you can add up to 10% to help control the frosting. I liked 464, good ct and ht but wicking was a pita, gave up on it to quickly lol. If you want them colored, try tempering and the USA...hth

Imc - Is there a guide on how to temper the wax - and seed?

I am not sure what ht and ct stand for (please educate me :))

pleasureridgecandles - Thank you for your reply - It has made me feel a whole lot better! Mine would set but then sure enough frosting would appear and today was my breaking point when a friend (who I had made candles for) said "I don't mind the look of it but I would be pretty annoyed if I bought one with it" (it being frosting).

Can anyone perhaps recommend a wax that they have had some success with?

I am using 464 (among other waxes) and yes it frosts. I've tried tempering and additives and nothing has helped me except the addition of paraffin. For now I am not using color and if I want colored candles I use 4630. I don't care whether my candles are soy or paraffin at this point, I just want a good appearance and HT. I will eventually have a soy line and a paraffin line. I'm not going to pull my hair out about this or give myself a heart attack over it. It's just a candle.

ht is hot throw and ct is cold throw

If you do a search on here for tempering there are lots of threads with directions

I use 464 but I do not color them- after they sit they do frost throughout which makes it look like they are supposed to look like that and being uncolored it really doesnt stick out at you - but after each burn it does get a frost ring

I have been adding a little beeswax and it has tremendously helped with it BUT it is alot harder to wick properly now

Alot of people use and love C3 wax- you may want to give it a try if frosting is something you cannot live with

415 is another great soy wax but it is uglier than ugly by itself- you would have to use additives to make this stuff look good! LOL

Good luck and have fun testing

Moonshine - nice horse pic! Thanks for the abbrev clarification! Could you tell me is C3 Naturwax C3?

Rjdaines - What percentage of parrafin do you add? I want the same - nice appearance and great ht.

Has anyone tried Ecosoya Advanced? I have read great things about this wax...

Thanks that is Awesome Dude! He is 22 and still going strong barrel racing! LOL

C3 is Naturewax

Ecosoya advanced is an awesome looking wax- I used it years ago but got zero hot throw (for me anyway)- but people have reported success with it. The search function on that wax will give you alot of info and what others thought of it

A lot of us have tried EcoSoya Advanced and it make great, non frosting candles but has HT issues and in you have to find a FO that works in it.

As I said, I've tried several additives, including CO, with 464 and it still frosts.

As for paraffin added to 464, I've tried 10% and that stopped the frosting but I I want to try between 5 and 1 percent, just haven't had the time.

415 can make some pretty candles when poured cool but when burned and cooled then got rough. 464 can do this too.

Galloper...If you have your wicking down and really like 464, you should stay with it :) IMO, CO helps make the wax creamier but really does nothing for frosting issues..Every wax has its quirks, for instance, with C3 Im having issues with the tops, so I keep testing different techniques and in the meantime use a heatgun or do a 2nd repour. Depending on the container, I think non colored candles can look classy and have a nice, clean look to them.

I used Ecosoya CBA for quite awhile-its what I started out with. CBA makes a beautiful candle but I had to use a 10% fo load just to get a decent ht and its picky as to which fo will throw. Ive never tried the Excel and others here have said its better than the CBA for ht...hth

Edited by lmc

415 is not ugly. I use it. It can tend to frost; but it's worth it for the scent throw.

I love the scent throw with it to- way out does the 464 but I never even knew what a wet spot was until I poured this- and the tops are out of control no matter the temp I pour - I know it can be done I am just not there yet! LOL

USA is helping with it but I am noticing some loss of HT using it

Frost does not bother me much - wet spots and bumpy tops do

Before I made candles I would have never looked at a candle that had frost and not bought it because of that. It would have never crossed my mind...I was more concerned if the candle was strong enough to fill up my house and if so I would buy it again!

Now that I know what frosting is, I have looked at the big candle companies and guess what I found on some of their candles...frosting!!

I think we as candle makers sometimes try to be too perfect and are too hard on our candles LOL...just my opinion though.

btw, I use EL wax with no dye and get some frost but it doesn't bother me and never had a customer complain about it in the past.