Triple Wicked 38oz-Need Opinions Please

Hello All ! I was wondering if any of the "triple wick" experts could take a look here please. this is after 8 hours. GB464, 38oz, 5.25" diameter, 93) ECO 4's. I was going to use my CD wicks but the smallest that I had on hand were CD8's and thought that they may be too much. The HT is amazing!! Used CS McIntosh

So, question is, do you agree that this is under wicked? If I were to know test with my CD wicks, what size would you suggest starting with?

Thank you very much!!

post-13884-139458492147_thumb.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looking closely at the pic, two wicks are leaning toward the glass where the 3rd is leaning toward the inside. When placing Eco wicks, set all the wicks so that the curl is toward the glass. On the two outward leaning wicks, they have melted all the way to the glass, where the other has not. I'd let it burn down at least half way to see how the glass heats up.

Never used CD wicks so can't comment on them but if I were to upwick to an Eco 6, I'd place the wicks so they all curled toward the neighboring wick and not toward the glass.

I do some triple wicks and so far, that looks good. If it looks the same after the half way point I'd begin to consider larger wicks.

Oh wow, thank you!! Would you be willing to take another look if I post another photo, further down the burn?

I think it will end up ok, but if I were looking at this, I would have judged at 4-5 hours, though I assume it was almost the same burn pattern at that point. I would consider moving the wicks in a bit too, when they're closer together they end up burning a little hotter, maybe 1.5"-2" spacing Something to think about. Please do take more pics later.

post-13884-139458492205_thumb.jpgYou guys are the BEST for taking a look, REALLY appreciated. OK here are the photos side by side, the one on the left is 8 hours (from yesterday) and the one on the right is at 16 hours taken today.

Your thoughts? Thanks again!!!

post-13884-139458492212_thumb.jpg

Edited by sisters3

I think if you were being sold the people buying them would not think they're working, how deep is this candle? I'm personally not liking the hangup on the right, i would burn it out but I think it will take a considerable amount of time to knock that down.

The only way to get an answer is to burn it and get a feel as to how the whole candle performs over it's life. Certainly by half way you should be able to make a judgement call. It looks good now but you have to decide and in all likelihood you should make another one with larger wicks just to see it if is "better" or "worse". The good thing is, you are probably close to where you want to be.

Thanks so much for the input. 001, the candle is 3.75" deep.

rjdaines, I'm with you 100% and will post another photo later today. I am going to pour another tester, this time with CD wicks but not sure where to start with the CD wicks, these are ECO4's, any idea? I use CD10's in my 8oz jj and they do just fine. So maybe (3) CD6 wicks??

Good Morning! Did you end up with any mushrooms with the ECOs? All 3 of the CD types in all of the soys I'm testing are cropping mushrooms. So ugly & dangerous, I had one shoot a teeny, tiny ember off like a rocket. Thank goodness I was standing there & blew it out. The flame wasn't out of control either. Thanks for your pics & shared experiences! LOL!

Hi Tracey, Good Morning to you! No mushrooms at all, BUT in another tester that I am doing now too, a new colored libby cube, my CD14 shroomed like crazy but only on the first burn, weird uh? The CD wicks remain my favorite in my GB464, the ECOs really gave me trouble, like the ECO 10's burned way to hot in my 8oz jj, but the ECO8 was too small hence my move to CD's and my pick for my 8oz jj is the CD10.

Susan

Edited to say that my go to wick for the 2oz tins is ECO4's, I didn't have any CD's small enough on hand to test the 38oz triple wicked big boy, but did order them and will test, but STILL need to decied on a CD starting size

Edited by sisters3

Is it just me or does anyone else have trouble with CD wicks burning to the side and sometimes wrapping the flame around the wick? They seem to give the best HT but I'm having so much trouble with the flame on them. Am working with HTP's today. So far so good but its only burn #1. We all know how that can change :sad2:

Edited by jeanie353

Snanks!!!!!

Hi Tracey, Good Morning to you! No mushrooms at all, BUT in another tester that I am doing now too, a new colored libby cube, my CD14 shroomed like crazy but only on the first burn, weird uh? The CD wicks remain my favorite in my GB464, the ECOs really gave me trouble, like the ECO 10's burned way to hot in my 8oz jj, but the ECO8 was too small hence my move to CD's and my pick for my 8oz jj is the CD10.

Susan

Edited to say that my go to wick for the 2oz tins is ECO4's, I didn't have any CD's small enough on hand to test the 38oz triple wicked big boy, but did order them and will test, but STILL need to decied on a CD starting size

Thanks so much for the input. 001, the candle is 3.75" deep.

rjdaines, I'm with you 100% and will post another photo later today. I am going to pour another tester, this time with CD wicks but not sure where to start with the CD wicks, these are ECO4's, any idea? I use CD10's in my 8oz jj and they do just fine. So maybe (3) CD6 wicks??

With 464 I almost want to say CD-8 but let's split the difference and say CD-7s.

If you're triple wicking I would start with CD 4 or 5, and give the wick a few twists to keep the flame moving around as it goes down. I do like ECOs in 464 though, and if I could use them in C3 without them throwing smoke during power burns I would.

Oh man, can't believe that I'm saying this.....I AM SO IN with the 4 wicks!! Do you really think so? Maybe the next tester I use (4) ECO 4's instead of testing the CD wicks?? I really dig these containers, I got these (now discontinued) for $17.88 per case (12 per case) in clear and smoky. LOVE THEM !!

Have you done 4 wicks in yours? YIKES.....I believe you're on to something here!!!