My first ever M&P recipe soap is done!

AlwaysWondering

Thank you, thank you! Wish I could name you all. I feel like I'm making an Oscar speech:yay:

, us

I had several moments of complete panic but all turned out just fine. My soap is lathery and quite bubbly, too. Never made a bar of soap in my life. I'm all about scented wax tarts and that is it.

I used Brambleberry LPC Low Sweat White M&P base and followed PrarieAnnie's recipe EXCEPT I eliminated the jojoba oil as I read on a thread jojoba could hinder bubbles or lather. I substituted the jojoba for olive oil as I read that olive oil would make the bar harder. I used canned goat milk instead of power, used regular store brand honey, nothing from a farm, used EVOO from the grocery store, used Dr. Bonner's Baby unscented formula liquid soap. All other ingredients I bought online. Wanted other newbies to know store bought is fine if you can find it!

Here is my question. I would like it to be more moisturizing. I only used it to wash my hands but felt my skin was a little bit tight after my hands were dry. Should I add more shea butter? Maybe substitute the jojoba with shea instead of the olive oil? I will experiment but trying to save a bit of money by asking for opinions before I become a mad scientist.

Edited by AlwaysWondering

Hi! I wanted to make the OMH the same night but I forgot to buy oatmeal. We use the instant in this house. I'm on a roll!!! I hope to be adding my recipes to that thread someday soon! I really want to learn how to "suspend" the oatmeal or lavender buds or whatever. I love the look of that in soap but think maybe that is only accomplished with CP?

Congrats on your first soapie! Its a great feeling isn't it?!!

M&P is very versatile so you can try lots of different additives. Very soon you will be writing down your own recipes.

There are lots of butters and oils you can add to make your soap more moisturizing. My favs are olive oil, cocoa butter, and shea butter. But my secret to making an outstanding moisturizing soap is castor oil. 1/2 to 1 tsp pp of base is what I normally add. It makes the lather rich and creamy and your skin will bead up with moisture in the bath. Try it.

You can use whole rolled oats, instant oatmeal, baby oatmeal, or even oat flour to make an Oatmeal, Milk, and Honey soap. When I use whole oats or instant oats I put them in a blender to grind them down a bit. I like a mix of fine ground and partially ground oats. I use 1 tbs pp of base.

I sometimes use commercial honey I buy at the grocers. Thats perfectly fine to use. However, I prefer to use locally produced wild honey. When you do a taste test comparison you will know why local wild honey is so much better. Plus locally produced honey is better to eat too.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

I have been watching all of your soap making threads. I am just getting into this too. I was just told by some cold process soap makers and I quote "Melt and pour is more for decoration and leaves skin dry . Processed soap is more for a of a soft, milky, silky, or moisturizing."

I told them it was a very unfair statement to make.

I just finished reading that 20 page thread and now I am excited to play with some of the recipes on it. I have to save up first though!

Good luck and congrats on your soap making!

... I was just told by some cold process soap makers and I quote "Melt and pour is more for decoration and leaves skin dry . Processed soap is more for a of a soft, milky, silky, or moisturizing."

I told them it was a very unfair statement to make.

The problem with this statement is that the quality of the soap has everything to do with the soapmaker and the recipe, the ingredients, etc. If you have a good recipe you can make a great M&P soap that is great. Same with CP soap. I've had both CP and M&P soaps that I just pitched in the trash because they sucked. So you can make a lousy soap with CP just the same as you can with M&P.

So ignore the uninformed or educate them. But their are just some soapers I've found that haven't a clue about how nice a M&P soap can be.

I've had customers tell me they prefer my soap over the "other" soap because mine is so rich and creamy and moisturizing. And I know for a fact they were talking about another CP soaper. Happens to me all the time.

That's really good to hear!

I chose to ignore them because they didn't seem too excited about me telling them they were wrong about melt and pour. I guess I will just have to show them!

Candybee- With your recipes, can I dye them and scent them any scent?

Sorry AlwaysWondering for hijacking a bit!