Sfic

tlc

http://www.sficcorp.com/

HTH! I love their bases in low sweat white and low sweat clear. Wishing someone would host a co-op!

You don't need a co-op to buy small quantities anymore, many suppliers have it in small amounts, like Peak and Brambleberry. I just googled "low sweat" "melt and pour" and many suppliers came up with the SFIC low sweat bases. Some say SFIC, and the others don't say SFIC, but it's the exact same ingredients listed in the same order, so I'm sure it's them.

Unfortunately SFIC is very pricey and some suppliers charge more for it than others but they all charge a lot. I agree that a coop is a great way to buy it at a discount.

Oh, I see what you mean. I noticed SFIC is mostly oil with hardly any soapy-detergenty type ingredients, but C&S has the soapy ingredients I recognize from most shampoos so it's no wonder if lathers so well. For that reason, I'm leaning towards trying the C&S base. Can SFIC base handle the large amount of goats milk, oils, and butter in PrairieAnnie's recipe?

I've only just started sampling SFIC bases. So far so good but I am no expert on them. I know I always wanted to get away from bases with sulfates and SFIC bases look like the best. Personally I have no problems with sulfates in my base as I love the lather and the amount of them is a very small % of the base. C&S bases are very good bases and have mostly all natural ingredients in them. I just want an option without the sulfates too.

So far I have been testing the white SFIC base with a much lower amount of additives. About 1 tbs per lb. Thats a combo of additives at 1 tbs in total pp. So far its okay but I want to try more when I get more base.

Edited by Candybee

I've only just started sampling SFIC bases. So far so good but I am no expert on them. I know I always wanted to get away from bases with sulfates and SFIC bases look like the best. Personally I have no problems with sulfates in my base as I love the lather and the amount of them is a very small % of the base. C&S bases are very good bases and have mostly all natural ingredients in them. I just want an option without the sulfates too.

So far I have been testing the white SFIC base with a much lower amount of additives. About 1 tbs per lb. Thats a combo of additives at 1 tbs in total pp. So far its okay but I want to try more when I get more base.

Is the reason they usually recommend to only at 1 T additives per pound of base just because adding more diminishes the lather? Have you tried adding Dr. Bonner's liquid soap to the SFIC base yet?

Yes. More additives means you are diluting the base so you usually end up with less lather. I have added Dr. Bronners liquid soap before. Did that for about a month but ended up not liking it for several reasons. Since I sell my soap it was an added expense that was unecessary, it made labeling a problem as I had to list the liquid soap ingredients too, but more important if you just learn what your base will hold you don't need to add liquid soap or shaving soap to make more lather.

I try to stay within 5-10% of additives pp of base. That equates to about 1-2 tbs pp. But, I do have recipes that double that amount because the base I use from C&S can handle the extra additives.

Oh, I see what you mean. I noticed SFIC is mostly oil with hardly any soapy-detergenty type ingredients, but C&S has the soapy ingredients I recognize from most shampoos so it's no wonder if lathers so well. For that reason, I'm leaning towards trying the C&S base. Can SFIC base handle the large amount of goats milk, oils, and butter in PrairieAnnie's recipe?

I used PA's recipe with an SFIC base from Soap Goods. I love the soap but in order to sell it or have others like it, I'm going to have to find a way to get more bubbles/lather out of it. After it cured about a week, I noticed it lathered up a lot better. If a poof was used it would probably do even better. I'm still back in the stone age using a wash cloth.

I think adding Castor might help. I also did not add any liquid soap only because what I had here is Dr Bonner's but it is a lavender one and am not sure its mild enough. I'd like to use the pure castile one marketed for baby use. Mine is called Magic or 16-in One. Still trying to figure out if I'm supposed to dilute it so as of now its being used to clean counter tops, wood floors, tub, etc. It doesn't give any instructions on the bottle at all.

A friend just sent me some samples of soap base from C&S and 3 Stephenson types. Will be trying those next week to see the difference.

I used PA's recipe with an SFIC base from Soap Goods. I love the soap but in order to sell it or have others like it, I'm going to have to find a way to get more bubbles/lather out of it. After it cured about a week, I noticed it lathered up a lot better. If a poof was used it would probably do even better. I'm still back in the stone age using a wash cloth.

I think adding Castor might help. I also did not add any liquid soap only because what I had here is Dr Bonner's but it is a lavender one and am not sure its mild enough. I'd like to use the pure castile one marketed for baby use. Mine is called Magic or 16-in One. Still trying to figure out if I'm supposed to dilute it so as of now its being used to clean counter tops, wood floors, tub, etc. It doesn't give any instructions on the bottle at all.

A friend just sent me some samples of soap base from C&S and 3 Stephenson types. Will be trying those next week to see the difference.

Thanks, Jeanie. I'll try the SFIC base too, then. When I was a groovy all-natural teen, I used to use Dr. Bonner's peppermint soap undiluted. It's not good as a shampoo because it weights down your hair, but it's a wonderful shower/bath soap with lots of lather. I loved the way the strong peppermint made my skin feel. I would use the baby shampoo undiluted to add to the M&P base.

post-12201-139458491364_thumb.jpg

I know this isn't a great pic, but here is a bar of Candybee's OMH soap recipe made exactly to the recipe specs using low-sweat white SFIC base. Please keep in mind that I have hideously hard cruddy water (we only drink/cook with bottled H20). I get a nice creamy lather despite the hard water. When my sister uses this at her home with softened water, she gets oodles of creamy suds. HTH!

And thanks again, Candybee, for the recipes! I'm heading out today to buy some coconut oil and coconut milk to try that recipe tonight.

I'm tossing around the idea of a co-op on the 1 lb. wrapped blocks...it takes 7 cases of 36 lb. blocks (mix/match). I'd like to purchase a three full cases...if anyone thinks they might be interested, please pm me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23241[/ATTACH]

keep in mind that I have hideously hard cruddy water (we only drink/cook with bottled H20

I didn't even think of that - we have terrible water too! I'll have to give some away and see if people with real water get the suds!! Thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23241[/ATTACH]

I know this isn't a great pic, but here is a bar of Candybee's OMH soap recipe made exactly to the recipe specs using low-sweat white SFIC base. Please keep in mind that I have hideously hard cruddy water (we only drink/cook with bottled H20). I get a nice creamy lather despite the hard water. When my sister uses this at her home with softened water, she gets oodles of creamy suds. HTH!

And thanks again, Candybee, for the recipes! I'm heading out today to buy some coconut oil and coconut milk to try that recipe tonight.

I'm tossing around the idea of a co-op on the 1 lb. wrapped blocks...it takes 7 cases of 36 lb. blocks (mix/match). I'd like to purchase a three full cases...if anyone thinks they might be interested, please pm me.

Thats a nice pic! Glad you like the recipe. I may have to try that low sweat SFIC base!

Target carries the Dr. Bonner's soaps, but the 16 oz size is actually more expensive at Target and cheaper at my local health food grocery store, where it's just over $8. I think the price on the 32 oz size is about the same. I almost couldn't find the baby soap in the health food store because it wasn't with the other Dr. Bonner soaps, it was in the baby section.

Ordered a Dr Bonner's baby bar along with some other soap bars from a soap site. Decided I'll make my own liquid baby for a fraction of the cost...besides the fun of it all. That will be used for here and to give away to testers. Will still get the stuff pre-made from Dr Bonner's to add to my M&P for bubbles and just knowing the liquid made professionally is going in the M&P makes me feel better until I get a little experience in. Now have to wait for it all to arrive.

Also got a coffee bar. Read the ingredients that didn't show any sulfates so that should be fun to make into a liquid soap too. There's more than one way to wake up in the morning :)

I've been checking out Bramble Berry cause they have some good deals on bulk shipping for bases. You just have to make sure you order the BB bases. They make their own and they are sulfate free and very similar to the SFIC bases.

Just wish they had their special on the low sweat CP type base. I really want to try it but don't want to get hooked on a base that I can't purchase in bulk with their great pricing. But I may just start buying from BB.

But I may just start buying from BB.

Ravens has mentioned on a post that she buys her M&P from BB and is pleased with them. Did look at them yesterday and pondered about it. My concern is that I'll be able to get all the additives in the base like I was able to do with SFIC and still have it turn out a nice solid bar. I bought mine from SG and wasn't concerned about price at the time. Now its getting to where I'm going to be making a lot of M&P soaps so bulk pricing is something I'm going to have to figure out too.

SG is $97.70 for 36 lbs of low sweat where BB is $110 for 50 lbs of LCP. Quite a price difference.

I have an order sitting at BB that I could add on 1 lb of LCP just to see if it performs the same. I also need to check pricing on wood soap holders. Am not sure what is a normal length of time for a bar to last with daily use but I'm down to one more bar of the original batch I made of unscented. Used the Goats Milk tray mold...from SG that made 8 bars of 4oz each.

Jeanie the pricing I am considering is the bulk shipping price. The shipping is a flat rate of $16 for the bulk MP. Even thou it would ship from the west coast to me on the east coast the shipping may save me money even if the bulk bases are a few dollars more.

I sell a lot of soap so I always shop around for the best price and best base I can get. Sometimes it means changing brands. The reviews on BB are good so thats why I may give them a try.

Jeanie the pricing I am considering is the bulk shipping price. The shipping is a flat rate of $16 for the bulk MP. Even thou it would ship from the west coast to me on the east coast the shipping may save me money even if the bulk bases are a few dollars more.

I sell a lot of soap so I always shop around for the best price and best base I can get. Sometimes it means changing brands. The reviews on BB are good so thats why I may give them a try.

I'm not familiar with bulk pricing but if you are getting it even cheaper than BB's price of $110 for 50 lbs with shipping reduced that is so worth it. SG is more expensive than BB just at the 36 vs 50 lb rate. I did add 1 lb of BB LCP and 1 lb of BB shaving soap to my order at BB. Will make the same recipe I did before to see if it comes out the same or comparable. Even a slight change is fine with me so long as I can incorporate the extra ingredients without them seeping out or losing any more lather.

Once I get going a little more on these M&P soaps, I'd consider doing a co-op to get the bulk rate. Might need to run some questions by you, if that would be alright since I haven't done any bulk purchasing yet.