Sfic

tlc

The one I used didn't say anything about being a baby soap. It did say certified organic liquid castile soap. Is there a Dr. Bronners liquid soap for babies?

Yes, the only unscented Dr. Bonner's liquid soap is the baby soap. It's in kind of a turquoise/teal colored label bottle, and it's got all the same ingredients as the others, except it's not scented. Here it is from Dr. Bonner's website: http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/BAB.htm

Edited by HorsescentS

Ordered a Dr Bonner's baby bar along with some other soap bars from a soap site. Decided I'll make my own liquid baby for a fraction of the cost...besides the fun of it all. That will be used for here and to give away to testers. Will still get the stuff pre-made from Dr Bonner's to add to my M&P for bubbles and just knowing the liquid made professionally is going in the M&P makes me feel better until I get a little experience in. Now have to wait for it all to arrive.

Also got a coffee bar. Read the ingredients that didn't show any sulfates so that should be fun to make into a liquid soap too. There's more than one way to wake up in the morning :)

Jeannie, that's a great idea about making your own liquid soap from a bar. I Googled "how to make bar soap into liquid soap" and found a lot of sites that explain how to do it, since I didn't know how. But that got me thinking, instead of adding liquid soap to our M&P recipe to help it lather, why not just grate shavings of bar soap into our M&P recipe? Wouldn't that help it lather and help our soaps turn out harder and last longer than if we add liquid soap?

I've seen M&P recipes which say to add grated beeswax, so we should be able to add grated bar soap, right? Or maybe we'd have to melt the bar soap but without adding any water to it.

Here are some recipes for M&P soaps, and some of them use grated bar soap, plus water, instead of an M&P base: http://www.halderman.net/cgi-bin/showrecipe.pl?mp

Edited by HorsescentS

Jeannie, that's a great idea about making your own liquid soap from a bar. I Googled "how to make bar soap into liquid soap" and found a lot of sites that explain how to do it, since I didn't know how. But that got me thinking, instead of adding liquid soap to our M&P recipe to help it lather, why not just grate shavings of bar soap into our M&P recipe? Wouldn't that help it lather and help our soaps turn out harder and last longer than if we add liquid soap?

Good thinking Horsescents....The only thing is we'd have to make sure they melt in the oils without over-heating them. I make my own laundry detergent and it takes the shavings a bit of stirring in the boiling water to dissolve. I think you're right in that it would help the lather and probably harden up the bar a bit too in a very inexpensive way.

The only bar soap in this house is the stuff I made so I'm no help yet in being guinea pig but next week the bars I ordered will be here and will try it then. If you get to it first....let me know ok?

Edited by jeanie353

Good thinking Horsescents....The only thing is we'd have to make sure they melt in the oils without over-heating them. I make my own laundry detergent and it takes the shavings a bit of stirring in the boiling water to dissolve. I think you're right in that it would help the lather and probably harden up the bar a bit too in a very inexpensive way.

The only bar soap in this house is the stuff I made so I'm no help yet in being guinea pig but next week the bars I ordered will be here and will try it then. If you get to it first....let me know ok?

Thanks, Jeannie. :) I probably won't be able to afford M&P supplies until early February. I added to my post above, so I'm not sure if you read it before I edited it or not, so please peek at it again just in case.

Edit: Just found this old thread about adding bees wax, soaps, and certain oils that harden the M&P; very interesting!! http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?61278-Question-about-MP-soaping&highlight=add+bar+soap+to+M%26amp%3BP

Edited by HorsescentS

Thanks, Jeannie. :) I probably won't be able to afford M&P supplies until early February. I added to my post above, so I'm not sure if you read it before I edited it or not, so please peek at it again just in case.

Edit: Just found this old thread about adding bees wax, soaps, and certain oils that harden the M&P; very interesting!! http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?61278-Question-about-MP-soaping&highlight=add+bar+soap+to+M%26amp%3BP

I did miss the additional info you put in the post above this one. That link was awesome for more ideas to make different M&Ps. Also, just read the thread you included in this post where it mentions melting the BW right in with the soap base so then the bar soap shavings should melt right along with the base as well if we decided to use that for more lather or bubbles.

I was thinking the shavings would have to stay in the base longer/hotter to melt them possibly scorching the base or something which then made me think I'd melt the shavings when I heated up the oils in the double boiler hoping the oils would help melt it easier. Seems now all that extra won't be necessary :) I like the idea of a tiny little bit of beeswax to harden the bar since it seems I'm going through them pretty fast the way they are now.

I'll be the guinea pig then through this month once my supplies get here to see how a few of these different ideas turn out by making a small amount at a time....maybe a bar or two worth only before making a tray of them.

Great info you found Horsescents...thanks. Now to wait for supplies for the fun to begin :)

The bar soap looks nice but its rather pricey. If you are thinking of making liquid soap with the bar soap I'd think that it would be pretty labor intensive and much more expensive than simply buying and using the liquid castile. At least if you intend to start selling it you may want to rethink it.

The bar soap looks nice but its rather pricey. If you are thinking of making liquid soap with the bar soap I'd think that it would be pretty labor intensive and much more expensive than simply buying and using the liquid castile. At least if you intend to start selling it you may want to rethink it.

I have a recipe to make liquid soap from bar soap that makes 1 gallon of liquid soap from 1 bar of soap. I'll be adding 1-2 oz of Babassu which will raise the cost by about $1-$2 so for $6.49 I'll get a gallon of Dr. Bonner's baby castille vs $59.99 if I bought it from Dr. Bonner's pre-made. You may be referring to another pure castille at a much lower cost...not sure.

As far as labor intense, it really isn't too bad. I've made our own laundry soap for years and it takes about 15 minutes to make on the stove (plus grating time). The process is a bit different since with the laundry detergent only the soap shavings, borax and washing soda are made on the stove then transferred to a 5 gallon bucket to fill with water where the liquid soap is all made on the stove in one large pot. I'll be using a stock pot to do that.

I intend to use this for adding to M&P and home use only. Won't be selling it as liquid soap. If/when the time comes I do sell liquid soap, I'll be doing it with Potassium Hydroxide using either the crock pot or a stove top recipe I found. That is down the road a bit and will decide once I cross that bridge. :)