For those of you struggling with GB464

those look great..what temp did you heat and pour at? and what FO are you using? I ask because gateway said I could heat to 135 because thats the meltpoint and pour:confused: im confused because everyone has said to melt higher

those look great..what temp did you heat and pour at? and what FO are you using? I ask because gateway said I could heat to 135 because thats the meltpoint and pour:confused: im confused because everyone has said to melt higher

Hi there mzphee, I heat to 185, add FO, stir while cooling and pour at 160. It has been my experience that if you can lessen the temp differential between your jar and the wax you will lessen your margin for errors, this can be done with a quick swipe of a heat gun (carefully). The FO's used were all custom recipes but I have achieved the same nice tops with several straight FOs. I cool on racks and that has mad a HUGE difference. I would tell anyone that is close to giving up on using GB464 to hang in there, it is such a beautiful wax!! HTH

Those look great but I haven't found getting nice tops to be a problem, it's the frosting with color that kills me (tempered or not). I heat to 185 and pour at 165. Looks like I will take a similar strategy and lose the color.

You know, funny thing, I actually had to google "soy wax" and "frosting" because I have never experienced it.....I assume becuase we don't color the wax, right?

We are going start using colored containers (all recycled glass) just to add some color to (2) of our lines. Some customers really want that color choice but not in the wax, so our solution was to find a wholesale supply company and we did and got approved for an account. Still awaiting the samples though, we'll see, but we are really excited.

Edited by sisters3

Thanks for posting that! We have never added color to our wax, always just left natural and based on the number of threads about frosting I think we will just keep on doing the same thing only in some colored jars :)

Interesting, we did a holiday show a few weeks ago and there was another chandler there and only sold colored candles and ALL of them looked the same (frosted) quite honestly I thought they were pretty, but to each their own I guess. I think your candle is pretty too!

Susan

Thanks Susan, that is just a container I use for myself, takes over a pound of wax. I know the frosting looks nice to some but it bothers me more than wet spots. I will go back to white and save my dyes for my paraffin candles.

Thanks for posting that! We have never added color to our wax, always just left natural and based on the number of threads about frosting I think we will just keep on doing the same thing only in some colored jars :)

Interesting, we did a holiday show a few weeks ago and there was another chandler there and only sold colored candles and ALL of them looked the same (frosted) quite honestly I thought they were pretty, but to each their own I guess. I think your candle is pretty too!

Susan

Also, if you want to see frost, have a look at Yankee! I looked at them today at Bed, Bath & Beyond & it's been ages since I've looked at Yankee candles. They looked horrible. What the heck happened to that company?? They were frosted everywhere & some looked like they were swirled or two-toned. One side was blue; the other was light blue (frost). Every single candle in a huge display looked like crap. Some of the tops looked bubbly. I was shocked. They all looked like third-rate soy candles. ??

Also, if you want to see frost, have a look at Yankee! I looked at them today at Bed, Bath & Beyond & it's been ages since I've looked at Yankee candles. They looked horrible. What the heck happened to that company?? They were frosted everywhere & some looked like they were swirled or two-toned. One side was blue; the other was light blue (frost). Every single candle in a huge display looked like crap. Some of the tops looked bubbly. I was shocked. They all looked like third-rate soy candles. ??

Didn't know they made soy candles. I guess they make them but not well.

Yankee's signature style is a mottled paraffin. I have Yankee candles from 10-15 years ago and they were mottled back then too. I personally love the mottled paraffin and palm look. Soy frosting doesn't look anything like it though. Soy frosting has no clarity in it, with paraffin and palm it has a bit of clarity which creates a depth of color that is (to me) visually appealing. They are going towards a new wax they call the "smooth wax" which looks like a dyed 4630 candle. They currently use it in the perfect pillars, Yankee for Target, and some of the new tumblers.

Kringle is the son's candle company but they do all white 16 oz (I think) candles in status jars (for 22 bucks a pop)

Yankee's signature style is a mottled paraffin. I have Yankee candles from 10-15 years ago and they were mottled back then too. I personally love the mottled paraffin and palm look. Soy frosting doesn't look anything like it though. Soy frosting has no clarity in it, with paraffin and palm it has a bit of clarity which creates a depth of color that is (to me) visually appealing. They are going towards a new wax they call the "smooth wax" which looks like a dyed 4630 candle. They currently use it in the perfect pillars, Yankee for Target, and some of the new tumblers.

Kringle is the son's candle company but they do all white 16 oz (I think) candles in status jars (for 22 bucks a pop)

Well, I don't know what a dyed 4630 candle looks like, lol... but no Yankee candle that I've ever owned looked like these did. And, some of it did resemble frost which is what I found so odd. There was nothing visually appealing about any of them to me :)

The part of frosting that I don't like is that it "eats up" the color and can produce surfaces that look like cellulite and brains. Soy candles stored over time often "grow" to completely cover the wick, even when no dye is used! When it occurs in little tarts, they can become powdery and crumbly, even though they will burn very nicely. I like a nice, smooth surface every time the candle cools and for the color to remain reasonably constant. The type and brand of dye makes a difference for me in how much the dye encourages frosting. FO is a big issue also, so it isn't always just the dye but the combination of the dye & FO.

I love mottled and rustic candles, but I don't find that soy lends itself to those techniques. I use palm wax for funky pillars.

Those are good lookin' candles, Sisters! I hope they sell well for you. Colored containers are a good idea for those who prefer some color with their candles without your having to add dye.

Those are good lookin' candles, Sisters! I hope they sell well for you. Colored containers are a good idea for those who prefer some color with their candles without your having to add dye.

Thank you Stella!! Not sure if you remember, but you gave me the advice to cool on racks, I started that right away and it made a HUGE difference!! So thank you again and again!!

Sisters-

Your candles are beautiful! Congrats- did you stick with the CD wicks or end up trying out the CDN's?

I also never had a problem with getting smooth tops( 415 on the other hand is another story!)- I heat the same as you but pour at 150* (I dont heat my jars) and I never tried color either but I do get frost still sometimes. I see it after they have sat for a couple of months or after they burn (a frost line forms when they cool after burn) but it doesnt bother me to much with them being white... Rjdaines- did you ever try the beeswax with 464 and color? Just curious if that helped at all with the frosting- I love the difference in the burn with it but never colored to compare.

Hey there MoonShine!! Thank you very much!! I have stuck with the CD wicks, they have been a God send. I did test the CDNs as well and really the results were so close to the CDs that I just stuck with the CD wicks. I rarely use ECOs any more except in my small tins, the ECO 4s are perfect in them.

Do you use any colored containers? Sounds like you stick to pure soy wax color too, like me. The colored containers that we are going to be testing are so pretty and its a way to add some color to our lines. I will have to think long and hard about a wick choice for the bell shaped container though.

post-13884-139458490837_thumb.jpg

post-13884-139458490838_thumb.jpg